Adding Onecare too my second pc

Scottie217

Adding Onecare too my second pc
I purchased Onecare today and installed it on my laptop, everything is good
there. As I tried to install Onecare on my second pc, browser window shut off
and internet connection dropped, why?
--
Scottie217

Re: Adding Onecare too my second pc
Post here instead:

Windows Live OneCare Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Scottie217 wrote:
> I purchased Onecare today and installed it on my laptop, everything is
> good
> there. As I tried to install Onecare on my second pc, browser window shut
> off and internet connection dropped, why?

Kayman

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:15:01 -0800, Scottie217 wrote:

> I purchased Onecare today and installed it on my laptop, everything is good
> there. As I tried to install Onecare on my second pc, browser window shut off
> and internet connection dropped, why?

It's been suggested using Windows Live OneCare which is trial/payware.
The OneCare package includes various additional software and it is
suggested that there is no need to install a multitude of different
security software. At first glance this seems to be fair enough.
Also, I read somewhere:
[quote]
What makes OneCare unique is that it essentially provides many of the
centrally-managed IT administrative functionality one might expect in a
corporate environment, but to home users. But instead of providing a human
administrator, Microsoft provides an Internet-based service that works
continually and automatically and is always up to date. You only deal with
OneCare, per se, when something goes wrong. And if something really goes
wrong, Microsoft is providing support via phone, email, or Web chat.
[unquote]

I am not sure if this is representing real value as assistance,
troubleshoot advice can be obtained freely from various newsgroups and/or
fora and good quality freeware can be configured to update automatically.

So, let's examine this package more closely from a (non-expert) users
point-of-view and if Windows Live OneCare represents real dollar value for
the average homeuser.

Windows Live OneCare includes:

-- An excellent antivirus application --

Many experts used to suggest that Windows Live OneCare is on the bottom of
the list as far as finding viruses\malware\trojans.
However, I understand that the new version of this (OneCare) AV application
has changed for the better and the virus catchrate has improved
significantly. It is debatable however if OneCare AV is significantly
better compared to good quality free-ware application such as Avira
AntiVir® Personal or avast! 4 Home Edition. Even if OneCare is an equally
good AV application, you'd still have to fork out dollars.
So, as far as performance is concerned why would anybody considering
purchasing OneCare?

-- An excellent firewall application --.

An excellent firewall application is already included in both WinXP and
Vista operating systems.

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc510323.aspx

So, why would anybody want to pay for something which comes free in the
first place?

-- An excellent antispyware application --.

An antispyware (A-S) application (WindowsDefender) is already included in
Vista OS and can be freely downloaded for WinXP. Add SuperAntispyware Free
Edition & Malwarebytes and you're as good as gold.
So, why would anybody want to pay for something which comes free in the
first place?

-- Automatic system clean/tune-ups --

Free System Tuner
http://www.easyfreeware.com/free_sys...-freeware.html
Speed up your PC with our Free Registry Cleaner
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/a...leaner_why.htm
--but--
Why I donÿt use registry cleaners!
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

IMO, a safer option is to use CCleaner ignoring the registry
scanning/fixing option followed by using NTREGOPT (all freely available).
--and/or--
Clean HDD
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr" (w/out quotation
marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.
Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

So, why would anybody jeopardize proper functioning of their OS and want to
pay for something which comes free in the first place??

-- Automatic hard drive defrag --.

A HDD defragmentation utility is already included in both WinXP and Windows
Vista which can be scheduled to scan at predetermined times.

Schedule a weekly defragmentation
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/defrag.mspx

Features of the Windows Vista hard disk defragmentation utility
Scheduled defragmentation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942092

Also, there are a number of freeware defrag tools available which, the
best to my knowledge are doing a wonderful job.
So, why would anybody want to pay for something which comes free in the
first place?

-- Checks for updates to be sure they are installed --.

Aside from Using the free Windows Update function in both WinXP and Windows
Vista, Secunia Personal Software Inspector, Belarc and M/S Security
Baseline Analyzer can assist also.
So, why would anybody want to pay for something which comes free in the
first place?

-- Schedules automatic backups of important files --.

Backup and Restore Center is an in-build version and comes free with both
WinXP and Vista operating system.

Windows XP Backup Made Easy
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx
Windows Backup and Restore Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/backup.aspx

So, why would one want to pay for something which comes free in the first
place?

BTW, some users are impressed with free ware such as Cobian, Macrium
Reflect, XXClone, Paragon etc...

-- New version 2.5 just released - designed to work exceptionally well with
Windows Vista & XP --.

One would hope that this is the case, after all, it's a MSFT product!
Selective, good-quality freeware applications are working like a charm as
well in both WinXP and Vista operating systems!

-- All-in-one convenient, easy to install application --.

So are selective, good-quality freeware applications/utilities.

-- On sale at Newegg for only $19.99 --

If I were in the spending mood and were looking for a worthwhile addition
to my Operating System I'd find another $30.- and purchase Acronis Back-Up
package.

Well, considering the above, I haven't got the foggiest idea what the hype
about Windows Live OneCare package is all about!
But, it is not unusual that in Multi National Organizations such as MSFT
the Section Heads of the Commercial Department and the Program Engineers
(Operating Department), are having conflicting opinions as they work for
different goals.
The Program Engineers are the pragmatic type, they develop things, they
know things. They have to demonstrate high integrity in order to produce
high quality software.
The Advertising People know how to sell and push things. They mostly walk
on a fine line but cross it frequently for the sake of the dollar almighty
and in the name of the share holders. The nature of their job prevents them
to be moral and ethical.
The goals of the Commercial Dept. are not necessarily in the best interest
for the end user.
(The Office 2007/OE6 spell checker issue is just another example.)
Would MSFT recommend the use of registry cleaners if Dr. Mark Russinovich
and Ed Bott had a say? I don't think so!
Would MSFT have included these lame additions to their Windows Live OneCare
application if their program engineers had a say? I don't think so!
As usual, Marketing trumps common sense. Let's hope that users pay more
attention to the details instead to the sensational promotion.