CTRL-Click not working

abinkow

CTRL-Click not working
On many web forms, CTRL (in assoication with left-click on the mouse) is
supposed to allow multiple selections from a list. For example, when there
is a list of categories (A,B,C,D) in a box, and you want to select A and C,
you select A, hold the CTRL button, and select C. Both A and C remain
highlighted.

In my Internet Explorer 7, this doesn't work. CTRL-leftclick opens a new
Explorer window.

Anyone have any ideas? How can I get back to the default?
Don Varnau

Re: CTRL-Click not working
Hi,
See this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd75da99253d85

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On many web forms, CTRL (in assoication with left-click on the mouse) is
> supposed to allow multiple selections from a list. For example, when

there
> is a list of categories (A,B,C,D) in a box, and you want to select A and

C,
> you select A, hold the CTRL button, and select C. Both A and C remain
> highlighted.
>
> In my Internet Explorer 7, this doesn't work. CTRL-leftclick opens a new
> Explorer window.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? How can I get back to the default?

abinkow

Re: CTRL-Click not working
Hi --

thanks for pointing me to that thread, but nothing in there helped.

1) My problem is with ctrl-leftclick, not ctrl-rightclick.
2) I tried with no add ons, same problem.
3) nwiz wasn't in Task Manager, but I do use NVDIA so I disabled as
instructed and rebooted. Same problem.
4) I disabled or closed everything nonessential in the Systray, problem
persists.
5) I used ShellEx to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and
rebooted. Problem is still there, but a couple of notes:

a) A shell extension called Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper refused to
disable; no error message, it just didn't disable. Could the problem be
there?
b) Although I disabled all of the Google Toolbar and Search shell
extensions, Google Toolbar still appears on my MSIE page. Does that provide
a clue? (I don't need that anyway).

Thanks again.
"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> See this thread
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd75da99253d85
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On many web forms, CTRL (in assoication with left-click on the mouse) is
> > supposed to allow multiple selections from a list. For example, when

> there
> > is a list of categories (A,B,C,D) in a box, and you want to select A and

> C,
> > you select A, hold the CTRL button, and select C. Both A and C remain
> > highlighted.
> >
> > In my Internet Explorer 7, this doesn't work. CTRL-leftclick opens a new
> > Explorer window.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas? How can I get back to the default?

Don Varnau

Re: CTRL-Click not working
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not matter.)

The few times I've seen this problem resolved, it was caused by a
third-party program, browser add-on or shell extension.

One more test...
Does the problem occur in Safe Mode with Networking?
Start Vista in Safe Mode
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
or
http://snipr.com/vistasafe

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Note: Safe Mode with Networking will not work with PPPoE / DSL connections.
- - -
If Ctrl+click works in Safe Mode, disable third-party programs to see if the
culprit can be found.

> Hi --
>
> thanks for pointing me to that thread, but nothing in there helped.
>
> 1) My problem is with ctrl-leftclick, not ctrl-rightclick.
> 2) I tried with no add ons, same problem.
> 3) nwiz wasn't in Task Manager, but I do use NVDIA so I disabled as
> instructed and rebooted. Same problem.
> 4) I disabled or closed everything nonessential in the Systray, problem
> persists.
> 5) I used ShellEx to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and
> rebooted. Problem is still there, but a couple of notes:
>
> a) A shell extension called Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper refused to
> disable; no error message, it just didn't disable. Could the problem be
> there?
> b) Although I disabled all of the Google Toolbar and Search shell
> extensions, Google Toolbar still appears on my MSIE page. Does that

provide
> a clue? (I don't need that anyway).
>
> Thanks again.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > See this thread

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd75da99253d85

> > "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > On many web forms, CTRL (in assoication with left-click on the mouse)

is
> > > supposed to allow multiple selections from a list. For example, when

> > there
> > > is a list of categories (A,B,C,D) in a box, and you want to select A

and
> > C,
> > > you select A, hold the CTRL button, and select C. Both A and C remain
> > > highlighted.
> > >
> > > In my Internet Explorer 7, this doesn't work. CTRL-leftclick opens a

new
> > > Explorer window.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas? How can I get back to the default?

abinkow

Re: CTRL-Click not working
Hi,

I'm going to try this (a little later today), but just fyi I'm in Windows XP
Home.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not matter.)
>
> The few times I've seen this problem resolved, it was caused by a
> third-party program, browser add-on or shell extension.
>
> One more test...
> Does the problem occur in Safe Mode with Networking?
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> Note: Safe Mode with Networking will not work with PPPoE / DSL connections.
> - - -
> If Ctrl+click works in Safe Mode, disable third-party programs to see if the
> culprit can be found.
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi --
> >
> > thanks for pointing me to that thread, but nothing in there helped.
> >
> > 1) My problem is with ctrl-leftclick, not ctrl-rightclick.
> > 2) I tried with no add ons, same problem.
> > 3) nwiz wasn't in Task Manager, but I do use NVDIA so I disabled as
> > instructed and rebooted. Same problem.
> > 4) I disabled or closed everything nonessential in the Systray, problem
> > persists.
> > 5) I used ShellEx to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and
> > rebooted. Problem is still there, but a couple of notes:
> >
> > a) A shell extension called Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper refused to
> > disable; no error message, it just didn't disable. Could the problem be
> > there?
> > b) Although I disabled all of the Google Toolbar and Search shell
> > extensions, Google Toolbar still appears on my MSIE page. Does that

> provide
> > a clue? (I don't need that anyway).
> >
> > Thanks again.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > See this thread
> > >

> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd75da99253d85
> > >

> > > "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> is
> > > there

> and
> > > C,

> new

abinkow

Re: CTRL-Click not working
The problem goes away in Safe Mode with Networking. Again, IE7 under XP Home.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not matter.)
>
> The few times I've seen this problem resolved, it was caused by a
> third-party program, browser add-on or shell extension.
>
> One more test...
> Does the problem occur in Safe Mode with Networking?
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> Note: Safe Mode with Networking will not work with PPPoE / DSL connections.
> - - -
> If Ctrl+click works in Safe Mode, disable third-party programs to see if the
> culprit can be found.
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi --
> >
> > thanks for pointing me to that thread, but nothing in there helped.
> >
> > 1) My problem is with ctrl-leftclick, not ctrl-rightclick.
> > 2) I tried with no add ons, same problem.
> > 3) nwiz wasn't in Task Manager, but I do use NVDIA so I disabled as
> > instructed and rebooted. Same problem.
> > 4) I disabled or closed everything nonessential in the Systray, problem
> > persists.
> > 5) I used ShellEx to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and
> > rebooted. Problem is still there, but a couple of notes:
> >
> > a) A shell extension called Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper refused to
> > disable; no error message, it just didn't disable. Could the problem be
> > there?
> > b) Although I disabled all of the Google Toolbar and Search shell
> > extensions, Google Toolbar still appears on my MSIE page. Does that

> provide
> > a clue? (I don't need that anyway).
> >
> > Thanks again.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > See this thread
> > >

> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd75da99253d85
> > >

> > > "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> is
> > > there

> and
> > > C,

> new

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: CTRL-Click not working
> The problem goes away in Safe Mode with Networking. Again, IE7 under XP
> Home.

That indicates that your problem is caused by an add-on or by malware.

What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

abinkow

Re: CTRL-Click not working
As stated previously (my reply of 11/12, #2), booting up MSIE with no add-ons
does NOT correct the problem.

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The problem goes away in Safe Mode with Networking. Again, IE7 under XP
> > Home.

> That indicates that your problem is caused by an add-on or by malware.
>
> What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

abinkow

Re: CTRL-Click not working
I should also mention that malware or spyware problems are unlikely. Full
scans of Norton Symantec, Trend Micro, and Ad-aware show nothing but cookies,
and removing the cookies does nothing for the problem, either.

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "abinkow" <abinkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The problem goes away in Safe Mode with Networking. Again, IE7 under XP
> > Home.

> That indicates that your problem is caused by an add-on or by malware.
>
> What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

casher808

Re: CTRL-Click not working
try this and let me know if it works...
Disable "rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook" in msconfig