IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows

Daniel

IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Hi everybody,

I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC (Dell
Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :

Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops. It's
hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to close
them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and over, causing
the system to crash eventually.

I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display anything
and are blank, so it seems.

I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the same
sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
application.

any clue anyone?

Many thaks in advance for your kind help.
With Brgds,
Daniel

Leonard Grey

Re: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Daniel wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC
> (Dell Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :
>
> Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops.
> It's hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to
> close them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and
> over, causing the system to crash eventually.
>
> I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display
> anything and are blank, so it seems.
>
> I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
> particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the
> same sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
> application.
>
> any clue anyone?
>
> Many thaks in advance for your kind help.
> With Brgds,
> Daniel

Kayman

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:59:00 +0100, Daniel wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC (Dell
> Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :
>
> Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops. It's
> hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to close
> them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and over, causing
> the system to crash eventually.
>
> I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display anything
> and are blank, so it seems.
>
> I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
> particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the same
> sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
> application.
>
> any clue anyone?

There aren't any 'good' on-line scanners out there! On-line scanners are
the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the time you've started
your infected Windows and connected to the Internet via this infected code
base, and start to look for scanning sites through infected DNS, you are
almost certain to have the malware perfectly positioned to overrule your
attempts to clean it.
What happens if active malware is found? Don't expect that the on-line
scanner will do anything about it. Most of them are just just marketing
tools for selling you their products. Quite often, malware removal on the
NT based OS (Win 2K and XP) is far from easy. Sometimes a (good) resident
AV can deal with it in Safe Mode.

Other reasons to stay away from on'line scanners are:
1. You have to use IE on very low security setting - ActiveX is required.
2. Many users will lower security in the Internet Zone to use the service
and then forget to set the Internet Zone back to highest possible security
- which is the only way that IE should be set.
3.Scanning sould be performed while off-line.

David H. Lipman's Multi-AV and some 'other' stand-alone AV tools are
*impressively better and safer*, because you don't have to be on-line to
use them (they have no dependencies on using a web browser to perform their
function), and they also can be used in Safe Mode.

Download David's MULTI_AV.EXE directly:
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
or
http://212.98.39.7/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
or
http://212.98.39.7/downloads/dl/35905.asp

English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/

Other quality Standalone Malware Scanners are:
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners), thus they need to be re-downloaded every
time there's an update.
Re: K/AVPTool; Uninstall after use. To uninstall/move this program "enable
self-defense' must be unchecked!

Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

Good luck
Daniel

Re: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Most useful information. Many Thanks, Kayman.

My PC seems to be free of any malware, according to Norton, CounterSpy.

Now, is my pbm due to malware? Could it be a bug?

vbrgds,
Daniel

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]

> Re: K/AVPTool; Uninstall after use. To uninstall/move this program "enable
> self-defense' must be unchecked!
>
> Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
> http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
>
> Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
> Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.
>
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
> http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
>
> NOTE:
> Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
> a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the

Kayman

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:56:32 +0100, Daniel wrote:

> Most useful information. Many Thanks, Kayman.

YW

> My PC seems to be free of any malware, according to Norton, CounterSpy.

It certainly wouldn't do your OS any harm if you'd scan with the AV apps.
as suggested.

> Now, is my pbm due to malware? Could it be a bug?

Don't know.

As suggested, perform a HJT scan and submit the log to an expert forum for
analysis.

Try this as well:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck
AngeryDevleoper

Re: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Na, im pretty sure that is just what IE does...

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.
>
> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>
> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
> driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
> eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
> software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
> scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
> and on schedule.
>
> For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
> scanners, such as:
> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>
> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
> post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
> here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
> expert.
>
> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
> show the computer to a professional.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Daniel wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC
> > (Dell Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :
> >
> > Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops.
> > It's hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to
> > close them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and
> > over, causing the system to crash eventually.
> >
> > I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display
> > anything and are blank, so it seems.
> >
> > I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
> > particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the
> > same sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
> > application.
> >
> > any clue anyone?
> >
> > Many thaks in advance for your kind help.
> > With Brgds,
> > Daniel

AngeryDevleoper

RE: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
You could always reformat... that seems to be the number one solution for
fixing problems with Microsoft products... Some may destroy your OS install
to the extent that you are forced to reinstall from scratch.. It is the
damned registry, god knows why we are still using that thing... guess they
just cant think of a better solution.

But I guess it is more profitable to pile crap on top of crap instead of
starting over..

"Daniel" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC (Dell
> Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :
>
> Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops. It's
> hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to close
> them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and over, causing
> the system to crash eventually.
>
> I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display anything
> and are blank, so it seems.
>
> I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
> particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the same
> sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
> application.
>
> any clue anyone?
>
> Many thaks in advance for your kind help.
> With Brgds,
> Daniel

Re: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Nah, I'm pretty sure his machine's hosed and you don't know what you're
talking about.

PS: Ur spiel chukkers stil broke

AngeryDevleoper wrote:
> Na, im pretty sure that is just what IE does...
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.
>>
>> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
>> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>>
>> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
>> driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
>> eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
>> software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
>> scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
>> and on schedule.
>>
>> For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
>> scanners, such as:
>> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
>> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>>
>> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
>> post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
>> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
>> here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
>> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
>> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
>> expert.
>>
>> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
>> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
>> show the computer to a professional.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I have this occasional but most annoying problem with IE on my new PC
>>> (Dell Vostro 410, with Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, etc.) :
>>>
>>> Sometimes IE will open 20 or more windows on its own before it stops.
>>> It's hell, because I have to close each one separately, and if I try to
>>> close them as they are opening, they will continue to open over and
>>> over, causing the system to crash eventually.
>>>
>>> I goes so quickly that the windows do not have the time to display
>>> anything and are blank, so it seems.
>>>
>>> I cannot relate this phenomenon to anything I may be doing, or to any
>>> particular Web site I visit. In fact I more or less always visit the
>>> same sites, which are straight. I didn't install any "fancy" utility or
>>> application.
>>>
>>> any clue anyone?
>>>
>>> Many thaks in advance for your kind help.
>>> With Brgds,
>>> Daniel

Daniel

Re: IE unexpectedely opens 20 or more windows
Many thanks for your time & kind help, Kayman.
best,