Can't access internet - dns error

500Matt

Can't access internet - dns error
Hope someone can help.

Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access the
internet in normal mode.

Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up before
"unable to display" page pops up.

However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also access
the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it will not
update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.

I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on (mywebmail).
I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc etc

However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves perfectly
normally and lets me do almost anything.

I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped someone
else has a solution.

Thanks in advance

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
"500Matt" <500Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
> the
> internet in normal mode.
>
> Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
> before
> "unable to display" page pops up.
>
> However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
> still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
> access
> the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it will
> not
> update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
>
> I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
> (mywebmail).
> I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc
> etc
>
> However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
> perfectly
> normally and lets me do almost anything.
>
> I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
> someone
> else has a solution.
>
> Thanks in advance

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
You may be infected with a very new DNS.Changer variant. If so, you'll need
expert assistance to get rid of it and the rootkit protecting it.

NB: This infection can spread to other networked machines!

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

500Matt wrote:
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
> the
> internet in normal mode.
>
> Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
> before
> "unable to display" page pops up.
>
> However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
> still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
> access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it
> will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
>
> I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
> (mywebmail).
> I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc
> etc
>
> However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
> perfectly
> normally and lets me do almost anything.
>
> I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
> someone
> else has a solution.
>
> Thanks in advance

bigrick869

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
I was able to fix a similar problem by removing KB 951748, after an hour on
with MS Tech Support. Sometimes its better to look within first.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You may be infected with a very new DNS.Changer variant. If so, you'll need
> expert assistance to get rid of it and the rootkit protecting it.
>
> NB: This infection can spread to other networked machines!
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> 500Matt wrote:
> > Hope someone can help.
> >
> > Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
> > the
> > internet in normal mode.
> >
> > Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
> > before
> > "unable to display" page pops up.
> >
> > However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
> > still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
> > access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it
> > will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
> >
> > I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
> > (mywebmail).
> > I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc
> > etc
> >
> > However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
> > perfectly
> > normally and lets me do almost anything.
> >
> > I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
> > someone
> > else has a solution.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
Look within *your* machine: Are you running a paid version of AVG, too? Are
you running ZoneAlarm? KB951478 is a VERY important security update to have
installed!!

bigrick869 wrote:
> I was able to fix a similar problem by removing KB 951748, after an hour
> on
> with MS Tech Support. Sometimes its better to look within first.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You may be infected with a very new DNS.Changer variant. If so, you'll
>> need expert assistance to get rid of it and the rootkit protecting it.
>>
>> NB: This infection can spread to other networked machines!
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>> shop.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> 500Matt wrote:
>>> Hope someone can help.
>>>
>>> Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
>>> the
>>> internet in normal mode.
>>>
>>> Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
>>> before
>>> "unable to display" page pops up.
>>>
>>> However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
>>> still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
>>> access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but
>>> it
>>> will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
>>>
>>> I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
>>> (mywebmail).
>>> I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows
>>> etc
>>> etc
>>>
>>> However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
>>> perfectly
>>> normally and lets me do almost anything.
>>>
>>> I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
>>> someone
>>> else has a solution.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
> ...Using AVG Internet Security paid version

If your subscription is current, contact AVG Support ASAP! It's very
possible that AVG Internet Security isn't fully updated!

500Matt wrote:
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
> the
> internet in normal mode.
>
> Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
> before
> "unable to display" page pops up.
>
> However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
> still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
> access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it
> will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
>
> I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
> (mywebmail).
> I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc
> etc
>
> However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
> perfectly
> normally and lets me do almost anything.
>
> I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
> someone
> else has a solution.
>
> Thanks in advance

500Matt

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
Hello again - progress update

Yes I am using fully paid version of AVG internet security - when problem
first happened was AVG 7.5, upgraded to AVG 8.0 - updated and updated and run
every conceivable test going. Have also contacted AVG, 3 days later still
awaiting response.

Have used 'unhackme' to look at rootkit problems as suggested. It did find
several and all have been removed. Left now with 2 only - both identified as
100% friendly and known - AVG and Microsoft sql.

Also run AVG's antirookit within new AVG 8.0 - didn't find anything (please
be aware that the standard test is not set check rootkit in default test.
rootkit test has to be either started manually or default settings changed
and saved)

Spybot updated again and run more checks. Did struggle with some
FunWebProducts and MyWay.MyWebSearch issues but these have also since been
corrected and removed.

So to summarise:
AVG 8.0 says i'm clean across ALL tests, Spybot says i'm 100% clean and
immunised and unhackme says the 2 rootkits left are both 100% friendly.

Have started IE7 again without add-ons, still same dns error. AVG and Spybot
still can access the internet and update (as they don't use IE) and still
works 100% fine in safe mode.

Run msconfig with minimal drivers - still the same.

Run microsoft IE diagnostics from page not found display - it suggests that
the firewall ports are at fault. Checked these - absolutely fine. read the
report from this, winsock settings 'all fine' but shows errors and non
compliance for the dns settings.

It's driving me nuts!!

Any final suggestions or ideas before I throw the towell in?

Many thanks

500Matt

> possible that AVG Internet Security isn't fully updated!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> 500Matt wrote:
> > Hope someone can help.
> >
> > Using IE7 with XP Media SP3 and for no reason whatsoever, cannot access
> > the
> > internet in normal mode.
> >
> > Very briefly, in the bottom left hand corner of IE, dns will flash up
> > before
> > "unable to display" page pops up.
> >
> > However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
> > still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
> > access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but it
> > will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
> >
> > I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
> > (mywebmail).
> > I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows etc
> > etc
> >
> > However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
> > perfectly
> > normally and lets me do almost anything.
> >
> > I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped
> > someone
> > else has a solution.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
What VDB (virus definitions database) is shown in the AVG User Interface
(e.g., v270.9.3/1786)?

Are you able to manually check for and install AVG updates?

Did you see my first reply to your post?

"You may be infected with a very new DNS.Changer variant. If so, you'll
need
expert assistance to get rid of it and the rootkit protecting it.

"NB: This infection can spread to other networked machines!"

More:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e95196a1?hl=en
--
~PA Bear

500Matt wrote:
> [...]
>>> before
>>> "unable to display" page pops up.
>>>
>>> However, can access emails and until 2 days ago, Windows Live Messenger
>>> still worked. Using AVG Internet Security paid version - this can also
>>> access the internet for updates and automatic Windows update works but
>>> it
>>> will not update 'on demand' as it requires the internet access to do so.
>>>
>>> I have ran both AVG and Spybot and removed all problems bar on
>>> (mywebmail).
>>> I have also 'reset' IE and removed all 'add-on's' and updated windows
>>> etc
>>> etc
>>>
>>> However, when I start in safe mode with networking, the PC behaves
>>> perfectly
>>> normally and lets me do almost anything.
>>>
>>> I've tried to investigate a whole host of suggestions and just hoped

500Matt

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
Hi again.

The last version I used to check the system (inc anti-rootkit) was AVG
Version 8.0.199 v270.9.4/1970 and again came up blank as well as the latest
update of spybot.

I can update AVG automatically or manually in 'normal' mode despite not
being able to use IE. Again in normal mode, the PC is also able to perform
windows automatic updates but not manual windows updates as this requires the
use of IE.

I have also tried reinstalling IE7 but this has had no effect. I was going
to try uninstalling IE7 first but there isn't an option in add/remove
programmes to do this.

I've spoken to a local pc repair centre and they have said they haven't
heard of this and are happy to have a quick look but will more than likely
have to reinstall windows.

My only concern is that:

a) the PC came from PC world and was not supplied with a windows disk to do
this
b) will reinstalling windows guarantee fixing it?

Your thoughts please before I make my next step.

Kind regards

Matthew

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What VDB (virus definitions database) is shown in the AVG User Interface
> (e.g., v270.9.3/1786)?
>
> Are you able to manually check for and install AVG updates?
>
> Did you see my first reply to your post?
>
> "You may be infected with a very new DNS.Changer variant. If so, you'll
> need
> expert assistance to get rid of it and the rootkit protecting it.
>
> "NB: This infection can spread to other networked machines!"
>
> More:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e95196a1?hl=en
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> 500Matt wrote:
> > Hello again - progress update
> >
> > Yes I am using fully paid version of AVG internet security - when problem
> > first happened was AVG 7.5, upgraded to AVG 8.0 - updated and updated and
> > run every conceivable test going. Have also contacted AVG, 3 days later
> > still awaiting response.
> >
> > Have used 'unhackme' to look at rootkit problems as suggested. It did find
> > several and all have been removed. Left now with 2 only - both identified
> > as
> > 100% friendly and known - AVG and Microsoft sql.
> >
> > Also run AVG's antirookit within new AVG 8.0 - didn't find anything
> > (please
> > be aware that the standard test is not set check rootkit in default test.
> > rootkit test has to be either started manually or default settings changed
> > and saved)
> >
> > Spybot updated again and run more checks. Did struggle with some
> > FunWebProducts and MyWay.MyWebSearch issues but these have also since been
> > corrected and removed.
> >
> > So to summarise:
> > AVG 8.0 says i'm clean across ALL tests, Spybot says i'm 100% clean and
> > immunised and unhackme says the 2 rootkits left are both 100% friendly.
> >
> > Have started IE7 again without add-ons, still same dns error. AVG and
> > Spybot
> > still can access the internet and update (as they don't use IE) and still
> > works 100% fine in safe mode.
> >
> > Run msconfig with minimal drivers - still the same.
> >
> > Run microsoft IE diagnostics from page not found display - it suggests
> > that
> > the firewall ports are at fault. Checked these - absolutely fine. read the
> > report from this, winsock settings 'all fine' but shows errors and non
> > compliance for the dns settings.
> >
> > It's driving me nuts!!
> >
> > Any final suggestions or ideas before I throw the towell in?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > 500Matt

> >> possible that AVG Internet Security isn't fully updated!
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Can't access internet - dns error
FWIW the latest VDB is v270.9.4/1975 as of this post.

You wouldn't be able to uninstall IE7 without having first uninstalled WinXP
SP3; cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx. In
any event, IE isn't infected, Windows is.

It's possible that a very experienced & fully-informed expert in such
matters might be able to help you get the machine cleaned up. See my
previous reply to your thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e95196a1?hl=en

If the machine didn't come with CDs, there's probably a hidden Recovery
partition the shop (or you) can use to "reinstall Windows." Using the
Recovery partition would return the machine to OOBE state [1] (i.e., the
condition it was in when you bought it) and would resolve the infection(s).

I note that it's taken you almost 4 days to reply to this thread so I must
point out that time is of the essence here and that the machine is NOT safe
to be connected to the internet or any networks (i.e., other computers).

If the machine is on a network, you must be aware that any other machines on
the network are probably infected, too, and that you will probably need to
reset or reinstall the router (which would also be infected).

Good luck!

[1] Returning the machine to OOBE gives you the equivalent of a "new
computer" so you must take care of everything on the following webpage
before otherwise connecting the machine to the internet (e.g., to browse;
check email; chat) or any networks:

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Also see: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463
--
~PA Bear