Unable to drag and drop in XP

Sheila

Unable to drag and drop in XP
As of 11/4/08, my customer who has an updated XP system has been unable to
drag and drop any file into a folder or he can't move any icon on his desktop
to another place. We can, however, left click on the blue header at the top
of any window and move that whereever we want.

I've run every virus protection program, every adware program I have in my
files and no virus or suspect file(s) are found. I've deleted cookies,
temporary files as well.

I even tried performing a System Restore to any date before today and even
though some of the dates are highlighted in the System Restore list, and even
though it appears to be restoring to the earlier date, the system restarts,
windows xp comes up and gives us the message that the system is unable to
restore to an earlier date.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do next, I would appreciate
it.

I know this is really "off the wall," but my customer has only 512 mg RAM
and he has many, many programs installed on this system. In Task Manager, I
checked the performance and the memory being used was 438 mg. Could it be
that his system is "on its knees" memory wise and it just doesn't have enough
memory to drag and drop or restore. I hope this is not a really stupid
question, but I had to ask. He did order 512 mg additional RAM today, per my
suggestion since he is running Norton Anti-Virus.

Thanks a million.
Don Varnau

Re: Unable to drag and drop in XP
[Crossposted to windowsxp.general]

Hi,
Norton and System Restore:
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=23632
- - -
Do the problems persist in Safe Mode? A legitimate third-party program may
be causing the problems.
316434- How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
- - -
Some malware must be removed manually
See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Removing Malware:

Partial list of forums- there are others:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
you choose, for specific instructions.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As of 11/4/08, my customer who has an updated XP system has been unable to
> drag and drop any file into a folder or he can't move any icon on his

desktop
> to another place. We can, however, left click on the blue header at the

top
> of any window and move that whereever we want.
>
> I've run every virus protection program, every adware program I have in my
> files and no virus or suspect file(s) are found. I've deleted cookies,
> temporary files as well.
>
> I even tried performing a System Restore to any date before today and even
> though some of the dates are highlighted in the System Restore list, and

even
> though it appears to be restoring to the earlier date, the system

restarts,
> windows xp comes up and gives us the message that the system is unable to
> restore to an earlier date.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do next, I would appreciate
> it.
>
> I know this is really "off the wall," but my customer has only 512 mg RAM
> and he has many, many programs installed on this system. In Task Manager,

> checked the performance and the memory being used was 438 mg. Could it be
> that his system is "on its knees" memory wise and it just doesn't have

enough
> memory to drag and drop or restore. I hope this is not a really stupid
> question, but I had to ask. He did order 512 mg additional RAM today, per

my
> suggestion since he is running Norton Anti-Virus.
>
> Thanks a million.

Sheila

Re: Unable to drag and drop in XP
Don, Thank you for your detailed response. It appears you believe the problem
is caused by malware. I will leave this problem open til I can a chance to
try all the things you've recommended. I'll reply back with the solution,
probably, tomorrow evening. Have a great day.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> [...]

> restarts,
> > windows xp comes up and gives us the message that the system is unable to
> > restore to an earlier date.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do next, I would appreciate
> > it.
> >
> > I know this is really "off the wall," but my customer has only 512 mg RAM
> > and he has many, many programs installed on this system. In Task Manager,

> > checked the performance and the memory being used was 438 mg. Could it be
> > that his system is "on its knees" memory wise and it just doesn't have

> enough
> > memory to drag and drop or restore. I hope this is not a really stupid
> > question, but I had to ask. He did order 512 mg additional RAM today, per

> my
> > suggestion since he is running Norton Anti-Virus.

Elmo

Sheila wrote:
> [...]

>> restarts,
>>> windows xp comes up and gives us the message that the system is unable to
>>> restore to an earlier date.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do next, I would appreciate
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I know this is really "off the wall," but my customer has only 512 mg RAM
>>> and he has many, many programs installed on this system. In Task Manager,

>>> checked the performance and the memory being used was 438 mg. Could it be
>>> that his system is "on its knees" memory wise and it just doesn't have

>> enough
>>> memory to drag and drop or restore. I hope this is not a really stupid
>>> question, but I had to ask. He did order 512 mg additional RAM today, per

>> my
>>> suggestion since he is running Norton Anti-Virus.

Copy/Paste Problems? Click Start, Run, and enter these lines:

regsvr32 ole32.dll (Press Enter key)
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll (Press Enter key)

Also try Kelly's tweak (you'll find instructions at the top of the page).

Line 233 - Enable Drag and Drop

System Restore fails to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--
Joe =o)
Sheila

Re: Unable to drag and drop in XP
I wanted Don and Elmo who were so kind to respond to my post that I was able
to repair the drag and drop problem by downloading and installing a fix from

http://aumha.org/downloads/dragndropx.zip

I appreciate it so much. I am still trying to resolve the ability to do a
system restore and accessing hyperlinks but will get back to this forum which
I resolve those problems.

http://us.mc814.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showMessage?"Elmo" wrote:

> Sheila wrote:
> > Don, Thank you for your detailed response. It appears you believe the problem
> > is caused by malware. I will leave this problem open til I can a chance to
> > try all the things you've recommended. I'll reply back with the solution,
> > probably, tomorrow evening. Have a great day.
> >
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crossposted to windowsxp.general]
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> Norton and System Restore:
> >> http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=23632
> >> - - -
> >> Do the problems persist in Safe Mode? A legitimate third-party program may
> >> be causing the problems.
> >> 316434- How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
> >> - - -
> >> Some malware must be removed manually
> >> See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
> >> of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:
> >>
> >> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> >>
> >> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >>
> >> Removing Malware:
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> Partial list of forums- there are others:
> >> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
> >> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
> >> http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
> >> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
> >> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
> >>
> >> You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
> >> one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
> >> you choose, for specific instructions.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]
> >>

> >> "Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> desktop
> >> top

> >> even
> >> restarts,

> >> enough
> >> my

> Copy/Paste Problems? Click Start, Run, and enter these lines:
>
> regsvr32 ole32.dll (Press Enter key)
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll (Press Enter key)
>
> Also try Kelly's tweak (you'll find instructions at the top of the page).
>
> Line 233 - Enable Drag and Drop
>
> System Restore fails to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> --