Multiple Versions of IE

Abb N

Multiple Versions of IE
Hi,

Is it possible to run 2 different versions of IE on the same computer and if
so how??

Thanks In Advance

Abb N

Leonard Grey

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
Yes. Run them in virtual environments.
http://vmware.com/
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Abb N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run 2 different versions of IE on the same computer
> and if so how??
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Abb N

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
Is it possible? Yes, at least in WinXP and earlier. Is it supported? No.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Abb N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run 2 different versions of IE on the same computer and
> if
> so how??
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Abb N

C A Upsdell

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Is it possible? Yes, at least in WinXP and earlier. Is it supported? No.

It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Is it possible? Yes, at least in WinXP and earlier. Is it supported?
>> No.

> It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
> of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
> Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

Kos Leonard had already done so.

Don Varnau

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
Hi,
This can be done (for free) with several combinatins of OS and IE.
See:

You first install Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
then install the VPC image containing an OS and Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Abb N" <abbgnaklie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run 2 different versions of IE on the same computer and

if
> so how??
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Abb N

VanguardLH

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
C A Upsdell wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Is it possible? Yes, at least in WinXP and earlier. Is it supported? No.

> It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
> of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
> Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

The condition set forth by the OP was "on the same computer".
"Computer" was not defined as to whether it meant the same hardware box
or within the same instance of the operating system. If merely the
hardware box were meant, even using multibooting to load different
instances of the OS would work but hardly be convenient. Each guest
(virtual machine) is a separate [emulated] computer (and why, for
example, you need another Windows license for each guest that runs
Windows). That means the OP would *not* be running multiple versions of
IE within the *same* computer. VMs are separated [emulated] computers,
not the same as the host computer.

Because IE is a set of libraries (to provide a set of methods or
functions) with a front-end caller, multiple versions cannot be
installed on the same computer without resulting in overwriting those
libraries. The closest you can come to running multiple versions of any
program and do so safely on the SAME COMPUTER is to use Altiris SVS
(Software Virtualization System). What this does is make a program
appear or disappear on the same host through layering (not really
through virtualization as commonly perceived). Using SVS, you could,
for example, have multiple versions of WinZip, IE, and even Outlook
(which normally requires only 1 instance be installed) to be
concurrently installed but allowing only one version at a time to be
active. As such, there is no malware or data protection when using
software layering as there is with system virtualization or system
emulation.

While SVS is handy, it is best to perform a clean install of Windows
alone and then install SVS. It is also best to use with "normal"
applications as some low-level utilities won't work well with software
virtualization. To get SVS (and its handy Trinket tray icon utility),
go to:

Free product home page:
http://juice.altiris.com/
Downloads:
http://www.svsdownloads.com/

Symantec bought Altiris because they want to employ it in their
enterprise-level products to manage software suites on workstations. It
is a help-desk and IT solution to manage software on the employee's
computers. I did run into some problems using SVS which required
delving into editing the software's layer definition. So it is not a
perfect solution (for what I was trying to do). It can also get
confusing on how to reconfigure a software layer after you've recorded
the changes made by the software's installation (and, again, you're back
into editing the layer's config entries). I haven't see a version
update in the free version of SVS since Symantec acquired Altiris (they
are interested in code development in their enterprise commercialware).

Yes, whether using the same instance of the OS, host virtualization, or
software virtualization, the user would be running multiple versions of
the same program (although perhaps not concurrently), they would all be
running on the same host (i.e., hardware box). While SVS was
interesting, it was just not sufficient for me to bother with it. I
prefer VMs but then I could afford buying multiple licenses of Windows.
Each VM requires buying another license of Windows. SVS uses the *same*
instance of Windows so you don't have to buy any more copies of Windows.
C A Upsdell

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
VanguardLH wrote:
> C A Upsdell wrote:
>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Is it possible? Yes, at least in WinXP and earlier. Is it supported? No.

>> It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
>> of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
>> Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

> The condition set forth by the OP was "on the same computer".
> "Computer" was not defined as to whether it meant the same hardware box
> or within the same instance of the operating system. If merely the
> hardware box were meant, even using multibooting to load different
> instances of the OS would work but hardly be convenient. Each guest
> (virtual machine) is a separate [emulated] computer (and why, for
> example, you need another Windows license for each guest that runs
> Windows). That means the OP would *not* be running multiple versions of
> IE within the *same* computer. VMs are separated [emulated] computers,
> not the same as the host computer.

I have *ONE* computer on my desk. I can run 6 versions of Windows at
the same time on this one computer. Plus one copy of Linux. It is
idiotic to suggest that this means that I have 8 computers stacked up on
my desk.

It is also untrue to say that a separate Windows license is required for
each guest O/S: Microsoft offers FREE time-limited pre-activated
Virtual PC images of Windows XP SP2 and Vista, either with IE6, IE7, or
IE8b2, intended for those who need to use several versions of IE on one
computer. Microsoft regularly issues updates or replacements for the
images which have expired.

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
<yawn>

C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> C A Upsdell wrote:

>>> It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
>>> of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
>>> Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

>> The condition set forth by the OP was "on the same computer".
>> "Computer" was not defined as to whether it meant the same hardware box
>> or within the same instance of the operating system. If merely the
>> hardware box were meant, even using multibooting to load different
>> instances of the OS would work but hardly be convenient. Each guest
>> (virtual machine) is a separate [emulated] computer (and why, for
>> example, you need another Windows license for each guest that runs
>> Windows). That means the OP would *not* be running multiple versions of
>> IE within the *same* computer. VMs are separated [emulated] computers,
>> not the same as the host computer.

> I have *ONE* computer on my desk. I can run 6 versions of Windows at
> the same time on this one computer. Plus one copy of Linux. It is
> idiotic to suggest that this means that I have 8 computers stacked up on
> my desk.
>
> It is also untrue to say that a separate Windows license is required for
> each guest O/S: Microsoft offers FREE time-limited pre-activated
> Virtual PC images of Windows XP SP2 and Vista, either with IE6, IE7, or
> IE8b2, intended for those who need to use several versions of IE on one
> computer. Microsoft regularly issues updates or replacements for the
> images which have expired.

VanguardLH

Re: Multiple Versions of IE
C A Upsdell wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> C A Upsdell wrote:

>>> It is hard for me to believe that you do not know that multiple versions
>>> of IE can be installed on a single PC using something like Virtual PC.
>>> Do you have some reason for not mentioning it?

>> The condition set forth by the OP was "on the same computer".
>> "Computer" was not defined as to whether it meant the same hardware box
>> or within the same instance of the operating system. If merely the
>> hardware box were meant, even using multibooting to load different
>> instances of the OS would work but hardly be convenient. Each guest
>> (virtual machine) is a separate [emulated] computer (and why, for
>> example, you need another Windows license for each guest that runs
>> Windows). That means the OP would *not* be running multiple versions of
>> IE within the *same* computer. VMs are separated [emulated] computers,
>> not the same as the host computer.

> I have *ONE* computer on my desk. I can run 6 versions of Windows at
> the same time on this one computer. Plus one copy of Linux. It is
> idiotic to suggest that this means that I have 8 computers stacked up on
> my desk.
>
> It is also untrue to say that a separate Windows license is required for
> each guest O/S: Microsoft offers FREE time-limited pre-activated
> Virtual PC images of Windows XP SP2 and Vista, either with IE6, IE7, or
> IE8b2, intended for those who need to use several versions of IE on one
> computer. Microsoft regularly issues updates or replacements for the
> images which have expired.

Oh, you have a "computer" which is really that you have one hardware
box. Running multiple instances of operating systems on the same
hardware box is running multiple "computers" if a computer is recognized
as both hardware and the OS. Together they provide a usable platform.
Alone neither is of any use. You have ONE HARDWARE BOX. That itself is
not a computer. Without an OS, just what are you going to do with that
hardware? The computer is the hardware plus OS, and you've identified
that you have 7 (or 8) of them setup for yourself. My guess is that you
are violating the Windows license based on your response, and you don't
care. I'm not doling out advice on how to pirate software.

Each guest VM is an emulated host, a completely separate computer from
each other. If you are running 7 VMs then you have 8 computers: the
host and 7 guests.

"Microsoft offers FREE time-limited pre-activated Virtual PC images of
Windows XP SP2 and Vista". And since when did this thread digress to
TRIAL versions of Windows? You could even use multibooting to run trial
versions of Windows that run on the real hardware rather than the
emulated hardware in a VM, but you'll have 30 or maybe 60 days to use
that trial version. I didn't mention that the OP was interested in
trial versions of anything.

The Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) test drive program to which you refer is not
as feature-rich as you led to believe. A current list of available VHDs
is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx. The OP never
bothered to mention under which version(s) of Windows he wants to test
the various versions of IE.

I was not suggesting to the OP how to steal software or abuse the trial
versions. Plus the VHD catalog may not cover the Windows versions that
the OP (not you) wants to use.