Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures

Larry H

Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
Hello,

I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem when
I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...

Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I am
getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.

I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
but HOW do I find it
OR
Am I on the wrong track?????

I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back, but
this is always a pain.....

Please help if you can.
Many Thanks
--
Thanks in advance for your help...

Larry H.

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
How does any of this pertain to Internet Explorer, Larry?

Larry H wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem
> when
> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>
> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I
> am
> getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
> restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
>
> I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
> but HOW do I find it
> OR
> Am I on the wrong track?????
>
> I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,
> but
> this is always a pain.....
>
> Please help if you can.
> Many Thanks

Larry H

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
Because it says that it is from INTERNET EXPLORER that is restricting the
view..... Please take another look at the words in the error message....
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How does any of this pertain to Internet Explorer, Larry?
>
> Larry H wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem
> > when
> > I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
> >
> > Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I
> > am
> > getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
> > restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
> >
> > I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
> > but HOW do I find it
> > OR
> > Am I on the wrong track?????
> >
> > I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,
> > but
> > this is always a pain.....
> >
> > Please help if you can.
> > Many Thanks

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
Sorry, missed that bit.

Did this behavior start immediately after you'd installed WinXP SP3?

What version of IE are you running? If IE7, which was installed first, IE7
or WinXP SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?
--
~PA Bear

Larry H wrote:
> Because it says that it is from INTERNET EXPLORER that is restricting the
> view..... Please take another look at the words in the error message....
>
>> How does any of this pertain to Internet Explorer, Larry?
>>
>>> I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem
>>> when I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>>>
>>> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I
>>> am
>>> getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer
>>> has
>>> restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
>>>
>>> I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My
>>> Pictures,
>>> but HOW do I find it
>>> OR
>>> Am I on the wrong track?????
>>>
>>> I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,
>>> but
>>> this is always a pain.....
>>>
>>> Please help if you can.
>>> Many Thanks

Larry H

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
IE 7 was installed right along with SP2 and much later came the installation
of SP3 and I am not completely sure if it started immediately since it was
only today that I noticed it for the first time when I went to COPY some
photos to CD....

McAfee Internet Security Suite is running as the antivirus and it has been
installed for about 3 weeks, so I cannot be sure that this didn't cause it....

The only other anit-spyware application is Spybot S & D ver 1.6.2 and it is
current.

This is just annoying to get around, but I would like for it to work just
like it once did.

Thanks again
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Sorry, missed that bit.
>
> Did this behavior start immediately after you'd installed WinXP SP3?
>
> What version of IE are you running? If IE7, which was installed first, IE7
> or WinXP SP3?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Larry H wrote:
> > Because it says that it is from INTERNET EXPLORER that is restricting the
> > view..... Please take another look at the words in the error message....
> >
> >> How does any of this pertain to Internet Explorer, Larry?

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
> McAfee Internet Security Suite is running as the antivirus and it has been
> installed for about 3 weeks, so I cannot be sure that this didn't cause
> it....

What anti-virus application had been installed prior to the install of
McAfee Internet Security?

Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you installed
WinXP SP3?

Were the Spybot Residents SDHelper and Tea Timer enabled when you installed
WinXP SP3?

Larry H wrote:
> IE 7 was installed right along with SP2 and much later came the
> installation
> of SP3 and I am not completely sure if it started immediately since it was
> only today that I noticed it for the first time when I went to COPY some
> photos to CD....
>
> McAfee Internet Security Suite is running as the antivirus and it has been
> installed for about 3 weeks, so I cannot be sure that this didn't cause
> it....
>
> The only other anit-spyware application is Spybot S & D ver 1.6.2 and it
> is
> current.
>
> This is just annoying to get around, but I would like for it to work just
> like it once did.
>
> Thanks again
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Sorry, missed that bit.
>>
>> Did this behavior start immediately after you'd installed WinXP SP3?
>>
>> What version of IE are you running? If IE7, which was installed first,
>> IE7
>> or WinXP SP3?

>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Larry H wrote:
>>> Because it says that it is from INTERNET EXPLORER that is restricting
>>> the
>>> view..... Please take another look at the words in the error message....

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
Hi,
Taking a guess...
Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run in
files on My Computer ."

You will be compromising security to some degree, but if you're running a
firewall and antivirus/antispyware program, it's a relatively minor
compromise.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Larry H" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem

when
> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>
> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I

am
> getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
> restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
>
> I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
> but HOW do I find it
> OR
> Am I on the wrong track?????
>
> I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,

but
> this is always a pain.....
>
> Please help if you can.
> Many Thanks
> -
> Thanks in advance for your help...
>
> Larry H.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:ectsKZGRJHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>>
>> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side,

> Hi,
> Taking a guess...
> Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run in
> files on My Computer ."
>
> You will be compromising security to some degree, but if you're running a
> firewall and antivirus/antispyware program, it's a relatively minor
> compromise.

Don,

Do you know what program he's running then?
This sounds similar to the problem that users can have
using Help & Support's .chm files if ActiveX extensions aren't allowed
in the LocalMachine zone. Ramesh has a registry zap for that one
because there is no GUI access for that zone. Unfortunately I can't find
the specific article I've used myself for that. ; )

Another possibility, depending on the implementation and where the files
came from, would be that if the files are marked unsafe they may need
to be "unblocked" before being allowed to be opened.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883260/en-us

(Support site Search for
unblock properties
)

BTW I still agree with Robear's initial assessment.
This probably has more to do with the OS, e.g. security/obscurity, than IE.
Just unfortunate wording in the error message he's seeing. <eg>

Robert
---

> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Larry H" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem

> when

>> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>>
>> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side,

>> but instead I am
>> getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
>> restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
>>
>> I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
>> but HOW do I find it
>> OR
>> Am I on the wrong track?????
>>
>> I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,

> but
>> this is always a pain.....
>>
>> Please help if you can.
>> Many Thanks
>> -
>> Thanks in advance for your help...
>>
>> Larry H.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
It's the HP Toolkit that's causing the trouble. See:

Information bar appears while opening the My Pictures folder:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/hptoolkit.htm

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Larry H" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion and am expericing a unique problem
> when
> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
>
> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side, but instead I
> am
> getting a message that says " For security reasons, Internet Explorer has
> restricted...... and you cannot see the rest.
>
> I assume that it is due to some kind of ActiveX item being in My Pictures,
> but HOW do I find it
> OR
> Am I on the wrong track?????
>
> I can click on the "X" in the box and get my Picture Tasks options back,
> but
> this is always a pain.....
>
> Please help if you can.
> Many Thanks
> --
> Thanks in advance for your help...
>
> Larry H.

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Security and Picture Tasks in My Pictures
[Inline]

> >> I go to MY Pictures on my local PC...
> >>
> >> Normally I get the Picture Tasks options on the left side,

> > Hi,
> > Taking a guess...
> > Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run

in
> > files on My Computer ."
> >
> > You will be compromising security to some degree, but if you're running

> > firewall and antivirus/antispyware program, it's a relatively minor
> > compromise.

> Don,
>
> Do you know what program he's running then?

No. I was taking a guess, remembering another post in which digital camera
software caused this problem- not so different (since Ramesh has chimed in)
from the HP Toolkit situation.