Unable To Access One Particular Web Site

Abradaxis

Unable To Access One Particular Web Site
I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web site,
which happens to be the site of the local county governments water district.
It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running IE 7.0.5...,
and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and then powering
it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after accessing it a
couple of times, the problem comes back again. What gives? Any help greatly
appreciated.

Re: Unable To Access One Particular Web Site
posting to this newsgroup.

What ZA application & version?

Abradaxis wrote:
> I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web site,
> which happens to be the site of the local county governments water
> district.
> It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running IE
> 7.0.5...,
> and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and then powering
> it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after accessing it a
> couple of times, the problem comes back again. What gives? Any help
> greatly
> appreciated.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Abradaxis" <jsindler@career-objectives.com> wrote in message
>I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web site,
>which happens to be the site of the local county governments water
>district. It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running
>IE 7.0.5..., and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and
>then powering it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after
>accessing it a couple of times, the problem comes back again. What gives?
>Any help greatly appreciated.

Check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for a file named HOSTS with no
extension. (Not Hosts.sam)
Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and folders and is NOT set to
hide extensions for known file types.
If HOSTS exists, rename it to HOSTS.OLD
Reboot an try again.

Or, In a Cmd window, enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear your TIF also, and re-boot.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Abradaxis

Re: Unable To Access One Particular Web Site
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.
ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.059.000
TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
Driver version:8.0.059.000
Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4795

Hope this helps. Thanks.
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What ZA application & version?
>
> Abradaxis wrote:
>> I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web
>> site,
>> which happens to be the site of the local county governments water
>> district.
>> It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running IE
>> 7.0.5...,
>> and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and then
>> powering
>> it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after accessing it a
>> couple of times, the problem comes back again. What gives? Any help
>> greatly
>> appreciated.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Unable To Access One Particular Web Site

"Abradaxis" <jsindler@career-objectives.com> wrote in message news:%23M6hHNsQJHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web site,
> which happens to be the site of the local county governments water district.
> It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running IE 7.0.5...,
> and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and then powering
> it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after accessing it a
> couple of times, the problem comes back again.

> What gives?

<nslookup>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: pbcwater.com
Address: 151.132.206.128
Aliases: www.pbcwater.com
</nslookup>

The site name that you use is an alias for the real name and address
and unfortunately IE never caches the lookup for the name that you use
and always has to do a lookup for the canonical name to get an address
for the alias. So, if your DNS is responding slowly any lookup may fail.

> Any help greatly appreciated.

You could try using your HOSTS file to put an explicit lookup for
the alias. E.g. add

151.132.206.128 www.pbcwater.com

Alternatively, you could try forcing the dnscache to retain the lookup
for the canonical name. E.g. in a cmd window enter:

ping -n 1 pbcwater.com

An ipconfig /displaydns shows that that would give you about 47 minutes
of cached use of that lookup:

<displaydns>
pbcwater.com
Record Name . . . . . : pbcwater.com
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 2858
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 151.132.206.128
</displaydns>

Hmm... apparently you could also get the same effect for the cache
simply by first entering this URL in your Address bar:

http://pbcwater.com/

Can you get there when you have your problem symptom?
And then get to the problem site?

If that seems to avoid your problem symptoms tell your ISP about it.
It would suggest that there is something wrong with their DNS
(or however your router works with it.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Unable To Access One Particular Web Site
See Robert's reply. If no joy, does the behavior persist if you...

1. bypass the router and connect directly to the modem?

2. disable ZA Firewall and enable the Windows Firewall?

3. disable ZA Firewall, enable the Windows Firewall, and also connect
directly to the modem?
--
~PA Bear

Abradaxis wrote:
> Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.
> ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.059.000
> TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
> Driver version:8.0.059.000
> Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
> Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4795
>
> Hope this helps. Thanks.
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> What ZA application & version?
>>
>> Abradaxis wrote:
>>> I don't know the cause, but I am unable to access one particular web
>>> site,
>>> which happens to be the site of the local county governments water
>>> district.
>>> It is a standard address (http://www.pbcwater.com). I'm running IE
>>> 7.0.5...,
>>> and Zonealarm. If I reset my router by powering it down, and then
>>> powering
>>> it up, the site can be reached with no problem. But after accessing it a
>>> couple of times, the problem comes back again. What gives? Any help
>>> greatly
>>> appreciated.

Abradaxis

Re: Unable To Access One Particular Web Site
Implemented the suggested solution" Or, In a Cmd window, enter ipconfig
/flushdns,
then clear your TIF also, and re-boot." This appears to work, although I
will take Robert's solution further if the fix only works temporarily.
Thanks to all for your timely and well considered suggestions. I appreciate
all your responses.