IE7 error messages

Cheryl

IE7 error messages
Since installing IE7, I get error messages on various websites.
I get a ! in a yellow triangle indicating Done, but with errors on page.
Line 2 Character 5681
Error: Unspecified error.
Code: 0

This is only one example. Mind you, this in only happening on one computer.
All internet security options are exactly the same.
Any suggestions?

--
Cheryl

Re: IE7 error messages
Do the errors in any way affect you access to or viewing of the page?

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Cheryl wrote:
> Since installing IE7, I get error messages on various websites.
> I get a ! in a yellow triangle indicating Done, but with errors on page.
> Line 2 Character 5681
> Error: Unspecified error.
> Code: 0
>
> This is only one example. Mind you, this in only happening on one
> computer.
> All internet security options are exactly the same.
> Any suggestions?

SeemsMicrosoftMakes2ManyMistakes

Re: IE7 error messages
Well I have the EXACT same issue and google searches using exactly this
nomenclature reveal over 10 million hit results. The Chain you have this gal
working through is NOT due to a unique problem. Why is IE7 reporting
Scriptings errors when the report scripting errors setting is OFF? I hate
hoop jumping probably just like the over 10,000,000 Google result posting
people as well so it appears MICROSOFT - Go figure - has broken something
with most likely an automated allowed hotfix but to me it doesnt seem right
you have hours of potential solutions when likely Microsoft (Sorry) AGAIN
screwed up. There should be a DIRECT - ROOT Cause analysis and solution not
try this then try this then try this then that then this and well ... WTF?

Wow.... Try answering the question knowing the root cause.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Do the errors in any way affect you access to or viewing of the page?
>
> 1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> • Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> • Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?
>
> 3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
> automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
> Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
> behavior persist?
>
> NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.
>
> Uninstalling IE7
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
> [Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
> uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
> may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]
>
> Also see:
>
> IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> 4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
> new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
> before reinstalling IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
> STOP
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
> references to Vista]
>
> I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Or use this Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
> (Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)
>
> 5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
> reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
> Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Cheryl wrote:
> > Since installing IE7, I get error messages on various websites.
> > I get a ! in a yellow triangle indicating Done, but with errors on page.
> > Line 2 Character 5681
> > Error: Unspecified error.
> > Code: 0
> >
> > This is only one example. Mind you, this in only happening on one
> > computer.
> > All internet security options are exactly the same.
> > Any suggestions?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 error messages
Look, friend, you can rant all you want to your fellow users, but keep
in mind that

1- nobody here works for Microsoft or represents Microsoft, and
2- your lack of understanding is not our problem.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

SeemsMicrosoftMakes2ManyMistakes wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
>> reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
>> Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
>> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>> Since installing IE7, I get error messages on various websites.
>>> I get a ! in a yellow triangle indicating Done, but with errors on page.
>>> Line 2 Character 5681
>>> Error: Unspecified error.
>>> Code: 0
>>>
>>> This is only one example. Mind you, this in only happening on one
>>> computer.
>>> All internet security options are exactly the same.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE7 error messages
"Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing IE7, I get error messages on various websites.
> I get a ! in a yellow triangle indicating Done, but with errors on page.
> Line 2 Character 5681
> Error: Unspecified error.
> Code: 0
>
> This is only one example. Mind you, this in only happening on one
> computer.
> All internet security options are exactly the same.
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> Cheryl

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced.
Check the box to Disable script debugging.
Uncheck the box to Display a notification about every script error.

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP

2. Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start | Run | Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start | Run | Regsvr32 jscript.dll

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306831 (WinXP only)
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822521 (IE6 only)

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: IE7 error messages
You are more than welcome to begin a new thread about any problems *you* may
be having. If I know the "root cause" of *your* problem, I'll tell you
so...just like I would have told the OP here.

No one here has a crystal ball. No one here works for or represents MS,
including me.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SeemsMicrosoftMakes2ManyMistakes wrote:
> Well I have the EXACT same issue and google searches using exactly this
> nomenclature reveal over 10 million hit results. The Chain you have this
> gal working through is NOT due to a unique problem. Why is IE7 reporting
> Scriptings errors when the report scripting errors setting is OFF? I hate
> hoop jumping probably just like the over 10,000,000 Google result posting
> people as well so it appears MICROSOFT - Go figure - has broken something
> with most likely an automated allowed hotfix but to me it doesnt seem
> right
> you have hours of potential solutions when likely Microsoft (Sorry) AGAIN
> screwed up. There should be a DIRECT - ROOT Cause analysis and solution
> not
> try this then try this then try this then that then this and well ...
> WTF?
>
> Wow.... Try answering the question knowing the root cause.

<snip>