Can't display webpages

pamacs

Can't display webpages
Folks-

I am running XP/SP3 IE7 (all installed long ago...nothing new). Starting on
11/03/08 I began getting the attached window displayed whenever I connect to
my ISP AND also whenever I attempt to go to ANY website. Bottom line I can
no longer display webpages although I can still receive and send e-mail. I
have not installed anything recently and have been unable to pinpoint
anything new on my system. I have tried restoring/restarting to before
11/03...I have tried registry-cleaning/restarting...I have tried running
with no add-ons...my windows firewall continues to be present...I removed
Norton months ago and have had no problems until now...I am at a loss! Any
advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Gary

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Can't display webpages
"pamacs" <pamacs@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Folks-
>
> I am running XP/SP3 IE7 (all installed long ago...nothing new). Starting
> on
> 11/03/08 I began getting the attached window displayed whenever I connect
> my ISP AND also whenever I attempt to go to ANY website. Bottom line I can
> no longer display webpages although I can still receive and send e-mail. I
> have not installed anything recently and have been unable to pinpoint
> anything new on my system. I have tried restoring/restarting to before
> 11/03...I have tried registry-cleaning/restarting...I have tried running
> with no add-ons...my windows firewall continues to be present...I removed
> Norton months ago and have had no problems until now...I am at a loss! Any
> advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

The fact that you have used one or more Registry "cleaners" makes me
hesitant to suggest anything.

Think your Registry needs "cleaning"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

So my real recommendation is to format and reinstall. However,
I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: Can't display webpages
Let's start with...

> I removed Norton months ago and have had no problems until now...

Download & run the Norton Removal Tool, then reboot:

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is your
What third-party firewall (if any) and version?

Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode

Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pamacs wrote:
> I am running XP/SP3 IE7 (all installed long ago...nothing new). Starting
> on
> 11/03/08 I began getting the attached window displayed whenever I connect
> my ISP AND also whenever I attempt to go to ANY website. Bottom line I can
> no longer display webpages although I can still receive and send e-mail. I
> have not installed anything recently and have been unable to pinpoint
> anything new on my system. I have tried restoring/restarting to before
> 11/03...I have tried registry-cleaning/restarting...I have tried running
> with no add-ons...my windows firewall continues to be present...I removed
> Norton months ago and have had no problems until now...I am at a loss! Any
> advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

pamacs

Re: Can't display webpages
I appreciate the suggestions for info available on various websites, but how
do I get to them? I cannot display any webpages.

-Gary
pamacs

Re: Can't display webpages
I appreciate suggestions of info available elsewhere, but how do I get to
it? I cannot display any webpages.

-Gary

Re: Can't display webpages
Use another computer; otherwise, take the machine to a local shop.

>I appreciate the suggestions for info available on various websites, but
>how do I get to them? I cannot display any webpages.

Use a different computer.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can't display webpages

"pamacs" <pamacs@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:%234U3CkpQJHA.5064@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Folks-
>
> I am running XP/SP3 IE7 (all installed long ago...nothing new). Starting on
> 11/03/08 I began getting the attached window displayed whenever I connect to
> my ISP AND also whenever I attempt to go to ANY website. Bottom line I can
> no longer display webpages although I can still receive and send e-mail. I
> have not installed anything recently and have been unable to pinpoint
> anything new on my system. I have tried restoring/restarting to before
> 11/03...I have tried registry-cleaning/restarting...I have tried running
> with no add-ons...my windows firewall continues to be present...

> I removed Norton months ago and have had no problems until now...
> I am at a loss! Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Looks like you realize the most likely cause is remnants of that old firewall,
e.g. objecting to allowing outbound requests from a new iexplore.exe module.

Have you tried booting in safe mode with Networking?
Perhaps that would prevent those pieces from interfering?

Alternatively, if you only have access to one computer
if you have some space on a drive you could do a new install
in an alternate partition and get some connectivity with it.

BTW since you are posting using WLMail I'm wondering if you can use its
Feeds reader? Perhaps you have more connectivity than you realize? ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

pamacs

Re: Can't display webpages
Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I tried using FireFox and the
error from it suggested a problem with the proxy server. I
uninstalled/re-booted/reinstalled my ISP software and now all is back to
normal.