MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7

Jerry

MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.

I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL, but
still no change.

I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and it
showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!

I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn up
negative with regard to any infection of any kind.

I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.

I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.

Any suggestions out there?

1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?
--
Jerry
Don Varnau

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Hi,
Listed easiest steps first...
1. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, uncheck Automatically check for
Internet Explorer updates.

2. These *and other* third-party programs can lock the IE homepage. Examine
the
settings of security/privacy/antispyware programs for the option to lock
homepage, lock IE control panel, lock IE settings, etc.
Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Ad-aware Pro
Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection) and other Norton products
McAfee AV or Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spysweeper
Zone Alarm- free and pro.

3. You may have a bad installation of IE7. Before uninstalling, disable all
add-ons. When reinstalling, antivirus/antispyware programs should be
disabled. Heed other advice at
Known issues - Installation tips - IE7:
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
> instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
>
> I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
> my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
>
> I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,

but
> still no change.
>
> I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
> un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and

it
> showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
>
> I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn

up
> negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
>
> I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
> Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
>
> I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
> mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
>
> Any suggestions out there?
>
> 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?
> - -
> Jerry

mpsull324

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
I am having the same exact problem as Jerry. I have had IE 7 since it's
release and never had a problem. This began happening a few days ago. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled IE 7 several times with about a hundred restarts
and I have even tried installing IE 8 beta (which still needs ALOT of work).
It seems that Microsoft has a glitch in it. I would prefer not to shutdown
the automatic update for IE. I am operating on Windows XP professional,
service pack 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Listed easiest steps first...
> 1. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, uncheck Automatically check for
> Internet Explorer updates.
>
> 2. These *and other* third-party programs can lock the IE homepage. Examine
> the
> settings of security/privacy/antispyware programs for the option to lock
> homepage, lock IE control panel, lock IE settings, etc.
> Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
> Spybot- Teatimer
> Ad-aware Pro
> Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection) and other Norton products
> McAfee AV or Antispyware
> Spyware Blaster
> Spysweeper
> Zone Alarm- free and pro.
>
> 3. You may have a bad installation of IE7. Before uninstalling, disable all
> add-ons. When reinstalling, antivirus/antispyware programs should be
> disabled. Heed other advice at
> Known issues - Installation tips - IE7:
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
> > instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
> >
> > I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
> > my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
> >
> > I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,

> but
> > still no change.
> >
> > I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
> > un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and

> it
> > showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
> >
> > I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn

> up
> > negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
> >
> > I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
> > Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
> >
> > I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
> > mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
> >
> > Any suggestions out there?
> >
> > 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> > 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?
> > - -
> > Jerry

mpsull324

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Okay, I just checked my internet options and I don't even have it set for
automatic update checks. That makes this whole situation even more puzzling.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Listed easiest steps first...
> 1. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, uncheck Automatically check for
> Internet Explorer updates.
>
> 2. These *and other* third-party programs can lock the IE homepage. Examine
> the
> settings of security/privacy/antispyware programs for the option to lock
> homepage, lock IE control panel, lock IE settings, etc.
> Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
> Spybot- Teatimer
> Ad-aware Pro
> Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection) and other Norton products
> McAfee AV or Antispyware
> Spyware Blaster
> Spysweeper
> Zone Alarm- free and pro.
>
> 3. You may have a bad installation of IE7. Before uninstalling, disable all
> add-ons. When reinstalling, antivirus/antispyware programs should be
> disabled. Heed other advice at
> Known issues - Installation tips - IE7:
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
> > instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
> >
> > I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
> > my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
> >
> > I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,

> but
> > still no change.
> >
> > I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
> > un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and

> it
> > showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
> >
> > I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn

> up
> > negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
> >
> > I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
> > Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
> >
> > I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
> > mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
> >
> > Any suggestions out there?
> >
> > 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> > 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?
> > - -
> > Jerry

Don Varnau

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Hi,
1.Try step #2 in my previous post.

2. See if an add-on is causing this.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

3. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

4. See if another program is causing this- possibly something like Live
Messenger (that's pure speculation.)
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"mpsull324" <mpsull324@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

and
> > it
> > > showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
> > >
> > > I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all

turn
> > up
> > > negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
> > >
> > > I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro)

and
> > > Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
> > >
> > > I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all

this
> > > mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions out there?
> > >
> > > 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> > > 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about *your* problem. Thanks.

mpsull324 wrote:
> I am having the same exact problem as Jerry. I have had IE 7 since it's
> release and never had a problem. This began happening a few days ago. I
> have
> uninstalled and reinstalled IE 7 several times with about a hundred
> restarts
> and I have even tried installing IE 8 beta (which still needs ALOT of
> work).
> It seems that Microsoft has a glitch in it. I would prefer not to shutdown
> the automatic update for IE. I am operating on Windows XP professional,
> service pack 3.

<SNIP>

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you install IE7
before or after you installed WinXP SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jerry wrote:
> Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
> instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
>
> I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
> my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
>
> I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,
> but
> still no change.
>
> I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
> un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and
> it
> showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
>
> I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn
> up
> negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
>
> I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
> Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
>
> I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
> mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
>
> Any suggestions out there?
>
> 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?

mpsull324

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
I've been running WinXP SP3 and IE7 since their original release dates (which
means I was running IE7 long before the release of SP3). This problem has
only been within the last four or five days.

The reason I posted in this thread is because the OP is having the exact
same problem that I am having and did not want to clutter the forum with
another thread about the same problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you install IE7
> before or after you installed WinXP SP3?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Jerry wrote:
> > Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
> > instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
> >
> > I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I re-entered
> > my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
> >
> > I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,
> > but
> > still no change.
> >
> > I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
> > un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and
> > it
> > showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
> >
> > I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn
> > up
> > negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
> >
> > I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro) and
> > Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
> >
> > I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
> > mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
> >
> > Any suggestions out there?
> >
> > 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
> > 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?

Re: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Repeat: Please begin a new thread about *your* problem to avoid confusion.

mpsull324 wrote:
> I've been running WinXP SP3 and IE7 since their original release dates
> (which means I was running IE7 long before the release of SP3). This
> problem has only been within the last four or five days.
>
> The reason I posted in this thread is because the OP is having the exact
> same problem that I am having and did not want to clutter the forum with
> another thread about the same problem.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you install
>> IE7
>> before or after you installed WinXP SP3?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> Yesterday, whenever I opened IE7, my home page was over ridden and sent
>>> instead to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.
>>>
>>> I double checked my Home Page setting and it wasn't changed. I
>>> re-entered
>>> my Home Page, but MS still redirected to the above URL.
>>>
>>> I downloaded and installed the latest version of IE7 from the above URL,
>>> but
>>> still no change.
>>>
>>> I went to Control Panel & attempted to un-install IE7, but there was no
>>> un-install option. It was listed under Windows Internet Explorer 7, and
>>> it
>>> showed "Used occasionally" when in fact I use this program every day!
>>>
>>> I've run all my virus scan and other security programs and they all turn
>>> up
>>> negative with regard to any infection of any kind.
>>>
>>> I constantly install all of the MS upgrades for IE 7, Windows (XP Pro)
>>> and
>>> Office (2003), so all of these are at their latest versions.
>>>
>>> I went and downloaded and installed Firefox after encountering all this
>>> mess, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with their software.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions out there?
>>>
>>> 1) How can I uninstall (& re-install) IE7?
>>> 2) How can I stop MS from re-directing my Home Page?

mpsull324

RE: MS has taken over my IE Home Page & I cannot un-install IE 7
Jerry,

I had the same exact problem with IE7. Just wondering if you are using
Spybot Search & Destroy. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled IE7 and am no
longer having the problem.