RE: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key

BlueBoden

RE: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
Its very important that users are able to change default shortcut keys, if
Microsoft continiusly refuses to do anything about this issue, then they
could atleast allow users to change the shortcut keys.

I'm going to switch to another browser until i discover an acceptable
solution.

Also note that browser specific issues shouldn't force us to take additional
steps to have our applications working. This is not a web-designer, or a
website programming issue, and it is certainly not the users own fault.

Forcing users to copy and paste everything they write in forms from notepad
or similar is just not acceptable, and it ultimately poses a huge usability
issue.

--
Admin on Brugbart (www.brugbart.com)

My Blog: www.blueboden.com
Leonard Grey

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
Lol...you're not giving up, are you? You pressed the wrong key, but you
won't take responsibility.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

BlueBoden wrote:
> Its very important that users are able to change default shortcut keys, if
> Microsoft continiusly refuses to do anything about this issue, then they
> could atleast allow users to change the shortcut keys.
>
> I'm going to switch to another browser until i discover an acceptable
> solution.
>
> Also note that browser specific issues shouldn't force us to take additional
> steps to have our applications working. This is not a web-designer, or a
> website programming issue, and it is certainly not the users own fault.
>
> Forcing users to copy and paste everything they write in forms from notepad
> or similar is just not acceptable, and it ultimately poses a huge usability
> issue.

robertplattbell@gmail.com

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
This discussion is less than helpful.

First, search the web and you'll see this is a problem for a LOT of
people, so saying things like "It never happened to me" is not
helping. It happens a LOT.

I find that closing IE.7 and then reloading it sometimes eliminates
the problem. It seems like IE.7 works fine for a while and then
suddenly, after visting some pages, it goes into this mode where
"Backspace" ALWAYS takes you to the previous page.

Second, more and more applications are going online, and Windows 7 is
headed in that direction. They call it the "cloud" or some such
nonsense (after all those clouds in the powerpoint presentations
representing the net). So instead of running Microsoft WORD on your
computer, in the near future, you might be running it on a website as
a web-based application. If you lose pages and pages of typing from
this problem, it is not workable.

So, yes, this is very important problem and will become VERY important
if we move to "cloud-based" applications in the future. Trivializing
it by saying "it doesn't happen to me" is utter nonsense. If you are
going to post that sort of drivel, just don't bother, OK?

If you post online (as I am doing now) it is frustrating to type a
whole page of text and then have the backspace key take you to the
thing will happen. It is a BUG in IE.7, not a "feature".

That reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon - "Take the Beta prototype,
label the bugs as features, and release it."

The question to me is WHY would we want "backspace" to take you to a
previous webpage anyway? It is just as easy to click on "back" in the
browser window. Let's let the keys do what they are supposed to do,
and not get fancy. That sort of thing KILLS typists like me who can
do 100 wpm. Bill Gates never leaned how to type, apparently.

There should be an easier way to disable this function. There are
some "hotkey" scripts on the web for doing this (search google to
find) but I am not a hotkey scripter maven, so I am not sure how to
implement this (guess I'll have to learn).

Good Luck. Every Day, Microsoft give me another reason to buy a Mac.
Maybe this is the year.
robertplattbell@gmail.com

On Nov 9, 10:54*am, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Lol...you're not giving up, are you? You pressed the wrong key, but you
> won't take responsibility.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est

There should not be a key on ANY PROGRAM that functions as an "erase
all my stuff" key. Worse yet, there should not be a key that
SOMETIMES does what it is supposed to do (backspace) and othertimes
erases all your stuff.

I appreciate your sense of humor, but since you have not experienced
the problem, you know not of what you speak.

This is a bug, plain and simple.