Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?

StoneyPA

Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?
I'm wondering if it's possible to switch back to getting the "new tab
instructions/shortcut page" to pop into a newly opened window rather than
just "blank page". I clicked to not show the instructions/shortcut page, but
now want to take that back, but can't find a setting anywhere to do so. Any
help?
Don Varnau

Re: Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?
Hi,
This involves a registry edit. If you're not familiar/comfortable with
regedit, let me know.

For XP or Vista, this is the registry key...
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
DWORD Value named "ShowTabsWelcome"
1 shows the welcome message. 0 opens blank tabs.

First, export the registry or create a System Restore point.

Then, run regedit, navigate to that key. Right-click the DWORD Value
"ShowTabsWelcome" Modify the value from 0 to 1. Exit Registry Editor.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if it's possible to switch back to getting the "new tab
> instructions/shortcut page" to pop into a newly opened window rather than
> just "blank page". I clicked to not show the instructions/shortcut page,

but
> now want to take that back, but can't find a setting anywhere to do so.

Any
> help?

StoneyPA

Re: Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?
Don,
Thanks for the help!!! I'm not entirely familiar with the registry edit
with XP. Had messed with it in older versions, but XP yet. I thought I
found the correct key, but I didn't see the DWORD value so guess I struck
out. If possible, could you guide me to get there?

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> This involves a registry edit. If you're not familiar/comfortable with
> regedit, let me know.
>
> For XP or Vista, this is the registry key...
> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
> DWORD Value named "ShowTabsWelcome"
> 1 shows the welcome message. 0 opens blank tabs.
>
> First, export the registry or create a System Restore point.
>
> Then, run regedit, navigate to that key. Right-click the DWORD Value
> "ShowTabsWelcome" Modify the value from 0 to 1. Exit Registry Editor.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm wondering if it's possible to switch back to getting the "new tab
> > instructions/shortcut page" to pop into a newly opened window rather than
> > just "blank page". I clicked to not show the instructions/shortcut page,

> but
> > now want to take that back, but can't find a setting anywhere to do so.

> Any
> > help?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?

"StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:575552F3-22BA-4086-AC4A-60DB606B36ED@microsoft.com...
> I'm wondering if it's possible to switch back to getting the "new tab
> instructions/shortcut page" to pop into a newly opened window rather than
> just "blank page". I clicked to not show the instructions/shortcut page, but
> now want to take that back, but can't find a setting anywhere to do so. Any
> help?

You can access a toggle for that option by entering in the Address bar:

about:tabs

Provided you haven't done a re-registration of module shdocvw.dll
you should be able to use it. Ramesh has a fix for the case where
that mistake has been made...

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wh...ssage-go-away/

(Live Search for
ramesh shdocvw tabs
)

BTW this is my recollection. I'm on IE8 at the moment and can't retest
this scenario for you. about:tabs and its support have significantly changed
in IE8.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Don Varnau

Re: Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?
Hi,
Using REGEDIT you drilled down to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing

In the right pane of registry editor, was there a DWORD Value
"ShowTabsWelcome" ?
- - -
Plan B...
Create a new Notepad document. Name it TabsWelcome.txt.
Copy the text below that's between the dotted lines (include the blank line
at the end.)
Paste that text into the Notepad document and Save.
Rename it to TabsWelcome.reg.
Right-click> Merge to merge that information into the registry.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
"ShowTabsWelcome"=dword:00000001

- - - - - - - - - - - -

> Don,
> Thanks for the help!!! I'm not entirely familiar with the registry

edit
> with XP. Had messed with it in older versions, but XP yet. I thought I
> found the correct key, but I didn't see the DWORD value so guess I struck
> out. If possible, could you guide me to get there?

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > This involves a registry edit. If you're not familiar/comfortable with
> > regedit, let me know.
> >
> > For XP or Vista, this is the registry key...
> > [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
> > DWORD Value named "ShowTabsWelcome"
> > 1 shows the welcome message. 0 opens blank tabs.
> >
> > First, export the registry or create a System Restore point.
> >
> > Then, run regedit, navigate to that key. Right-click the DWORD Value
> > "ShowTabsWelcome" Modify the value from 0 to 1. Exit Registry Editor.

> > "StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm wondering if it's possible to switch back to getting the "new tab
> > > instructions/shortcut page" to pop into a newly opened window rather

than
> > > just "blank page". I clicked to not show the instructions/shortcut

page,
> > but
> > > now want to take that back, but can't find a setting anywhere to do

so.
> > Any
> > > help?

StoneyPA

Re: Tabbed browsing in IE7 settings?
Got it Don. Thanks a million for your wonderful help! I really appreciate it!

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Using REGEDIT you drilled down to
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing
>
> In the right pane of registry editor, was there a DWORD Value
> "ShowTabsWelcome" ?
> - - -
> Plan B...
> Create a new Notepad document. Name it TabsWelcome.txt.
> Copy the text below that's between the dotted lines (include the blank line
> at the end.)
> Paste that text into the Notepad document and Save.
> Rename it to TabsWelcome.reg.
> Right-click> Merge to merge that information into the registry.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
> "ShowTabsWelcome"=dword:00000001
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Don,
> > Thanks for the help!!! I'm not entirely familiar with the registry

> edit
> > with XP. Had messed with it in older versions, but XP yet. I thought I
> > found the correct key, but I didn't see the DWORD value so guess I struck
> > out. If possible, could you guide me to get there?

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > This involves a registry edit. If you're not familiar/comfortable with
> > > regedit, let me know.
> > >
> > > For XP or Vista, this is the registry key...
> > > [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]
> > > DWORD Value named "ShowTabsWelcome"
> > > 1 shows the welcome message. 0 opens blank tabs.
> > >
> > > First, export the registry or create a System Restore point.
> > >
> > > Then, run regedit, navigate to that key. Right-click the DWORD Value
> > > "ShowTabsWelcome" Modify the value from 0 to 1. Exit Registry Editor.

> > > "StoneyPA" <StoneyPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> than

> page,
> > > but