Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
[Crossposted to IE General]

posting to this newsgroup.

> This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7.

What websites?

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

xfarmer wrote:
> This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7. The pages load
> fine
> using Firefox. I have tried disabling some of the Java add ons, this will
> make the error stop, but then the page doesn't show the java content. Is
> there a fix or solution to this other than using Firefox for my default
> browser??

xfarmer

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
Using Windows Vista w SP1
This error occurs on this website -->
http://sheffer.king-online.com/clien...ailycamera.php
If I click on the "OK" twice it goes away but then will return when I start
a different session of IE7.
Thanks for any help

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to IE General]

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> > This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7.

> What websites?
>
> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:
>
> In your newsreader:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> xfarmer wrote:
> > This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7. The pages load
> > fine
> > using Firefox. I have tried disabling some of the Java add ons, this will
> > make the error stop, but then the page doesn't show the java content. Is
> > there a fix or solution to this other than using Firefox for my default
> > browser??

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Disable script debugging
(IE) [check this] & Display a notification about every script error [uncheck
this]

Any better? If not...

Go to http://www.javatester.org/version.html & click on "Test the version
of..." link at the top | In the resulting window under the section "1. Ask
Java" section, do you see a pink box? If so, what Java version is listed
here (e.g., v1.6.0_10)?
--
~PA Bear

xfarmer wrote:
> Using Windows Vista w SP1
> This error occurs on this website -->
> http://sheffer.king-online.com/clien...ailycamera.php
> If I click on the "OK" twice it goes away but then will return when I
> start
> a different session of IE7.
> Thanks for any help
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crossposted to IE General]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>>> This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7.

>> What websites?
>>
>> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>>
>> On the web:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
>>
>> In your newsreader:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> xfarmer wrote:
>>> This error shows up on certain websites when using IE7. The pages load
>>> fine
>>> using Firefox. I have tried disabling some of the Java add ons, this
>>> will
>>> make the error stop, but then the page doesn't show the java content. Is
>>> there a fix or solution to this other than using Firefox for my default
>>> browser??

xfarmer

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
Thanks again for the help, but I am still getting this error. IE was already
set up as script debugging disabled and to not display notification about
every script error. I have also tried the Java update and made sure I had the
latest version of Java. Not sure, maybe it is something in the programming
code at these websites?? it also happens at this site -->
http://michigan.gov/lottery

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Disable script debugging
> (IE) [check this] & Display a notification about every script error [uncheck
> this]
>
> Any better? If not...
>
> Go to http://www.javatester.org/version.html & click on "Test the version
> of..." link at the top | In the resulting window under the section "1. Ask
> Java" section, do you see a pink box? If so, what Java version is listed
> here (e.g., v1.6.0_10)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> xfarmer wrote:
> > Using Windows Vista w SP1
> > This error occurs on this website -->
> > http://sheffer.king-online.com/clien...ailycamera.php
> > If I click on the "OK" twice it goes away but then will return when I
> > start
> > a different session of IE7.
> > Thanks for any help
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crossposted to IE General]
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.

> >> What websites?
> >>
> >> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> >> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
> >>
> >> On the web:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
> >>
> >> In your newsreader:
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
I didn't ask if you had "the latest version of Java" installed, I asked what
version it was.

How do you make out on this test page? => http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

xfarmer wrote:
> Thanks again for the help, but I am still getting this error. IE was
> already
> set up as script debugging disabled and to not display notification about
> every script error. I have also tried the Java update and made sure I had
> the latest version of Java. Not sure, maybe it is something in the
> programming code at these websites?? it also happens at this site -->
> http://michigan.gov/lottery
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Disable script
>> debugging (IE) [check this] & Display a notification about every script
>> error [uncheck this]
>>
>> Any better? If not...
>>
>> Go to http://www.javatester.org/version.html & click on "Test the version
>> of..." link at the top | In the resulting window under the section "1.
>> Ask
>> Java" section, do you see a pink box? If so, what Java version is listed
>> here (e.g., v1.6.0_10)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> xfarmer wrote:
>>> Using Windows Vista w SP1
>>> This error occurs on this website -->
>>> http://sheffer.king-online.com/clien...ailycamera.php
>>> If I click on the "OK" twice it goes away but then will return when I
>>> start
>>> a different session of IE7.
>>> Thanks for any help

xfarmer

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
"The version and vendor from the JRE

Java Version: 1.6.0_10 from Sun Microsystems Inc."

I get the same error on both of websites you posted. If I click "OK" to both
error boxes that come up, the pages work fine.
This has to be something simple that is just eluding us.
Thanks for hanging in there with me...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I didn't ask if you had "the latest version of Java" installed, I asked what
> version it was.
>
> How do you make out on this test page? => http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> xfarmer wrote:
> > Thanks again for the help, but I am still getting this error. IE was
> > already
> > set up as script debugging disabled and to not display notification about
> > every script error. I have also tried the Java update and made sure I had
> > the latest version of Java. Not sure, maybe it is something in the
> > programming code at these websites?? it also happens at this site -->
> > http://michigan.gov/lottery
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Disable script
> >> debugging (IE) [check this] & Display a notification about every script
> >> error [uncheck this]
> >>
> >> Any better? If not...
> >>
> >> Go to http://www.javatester.org/version.html & click on "Test the version
> >> of..." link at the top | In the resulting window under the section "1.
> >> Ask
> >> Java" section, do you see a pink box? If so, what Java version is listed
> >> here (e.g., v1.6.0_10)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
Despite what you have have heard, JRE v1.6.0_10 is NOT a security-related
update. It may be that the pages where you're encountering problems are not
compatible with this newer version. (I have v1.6.0_07 installed here and
encounter no problems.) See if uninstalling v1.6.0_10 and then installing
v1.6.0_07 *exactly per the following* resolves the behavior:

[You may want to print or copy/paste these instructions into Notepad for
offline reference.]

1.Go to http://java.sun.com/products/archive...6u7/index.html

2. Click on the download link for 'JRE 6u7'

3. Select appropriate option (i.e., Windows) and accept the EULA

4. On the resulting page & *without checking the box*, click on
'jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe' directly underneath 'Windows OFFLINE
Installation' and SAVE the download to your desktop; do not RUN it.

5. Open Add/Remove Programs | Uninstall anything that says Sun Java, Java
JRE, or similar (e.g., jre1.6.0_10; jre1.5.0_9; etc.) | Exit.

6. *Close all browser windows* and double-click on the file you saved in #4
above to install the v1.6.0_07. Be patient: It may take five (5) minutes or
more for the installation to complete.

NB: UNCHECK the option to install Google Toolbar (or any other software
offered) if you don't want it!

7. Delete the downloaded installation file (#4 above) after completing the
above procedure and reboot if not prompted to do so.

8. Test
--
~PA Bear

xfarmer wrote:
> "The version and vendor from the JRE
>
> Java Version: 1.6.0_10 from Sun Microsystems Inc."
>
> I get the same error on both of websites you posted. If I click "OK" to
> both
> error boxes that come up, the pages work fine.
> This has to be something simple that is just eluding us.
> Thanks for hanging in there with me...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I didn't ask if you had "the latest version of Java" installed, I asked
>> what version it was.
>>
>> How do you make out on this test page? => http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>
>> xfarmer wrote:
>>> Thanks again for the help, but I am still getting this error. IE was
>>> already
>>> set up as script debugging disabled and to not display notification
>>> about
>>> every script error. I have also tried the Java update and made sure I
>>> had
>>> the latest version of Java. Not sure, maybe it is something in the
>>> programming code at these websites?? it also happens at this site -->
>>> http://michigan.gov/lottery

xfarmer

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
That worked PA!
I guess v1.6.0_10 is a buggy update....
Thank you very much for your assisstance on this.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Despite what you have have heard, JRE v1.6.0_10 is NOT a security-related
> update. It may be that the pages where you're encountering problems are not
> compatible with this newer version. (I have v1.6.0_07 installed here and
> encounter no problems.) See if uninstalling v1.6.0_10 and then installing
> v1.6.0_07 *exactly per the following* resolves the behavior:
>
> [You may want to print or copy/paste these instructions into Notepad for
> offline reference.]
>
> 1.Go to http://java.sun.com/products/archive...6u7/index.html
>
> 2. Click on the download link for 'JRE 6u7'
>
> 3. Select appropriate option (i.e., Windows) and accept the EULA
>
> 4. On the resulting page & *without checking the box*, click on
> 'jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe' directly underneath 'Windows OFFLINE
> Installation' and SAVE the download to your desktop; do not RUN it.
>
> 5. Open Add/Remove Programs | Uninstall anything that says Sun Java, Java
> JRE, or similar (e.g., jre1.6.0_10; jre1.5.0_9; etc.) | Exit.
>
> 6. *Close all browser windows* and double-click on the file you saved in #4
> above to install the v1.6.0_07. Be patient: It may take five (5) minutes or
> more for the installation to complete.
>
> NB: UNCHECK the option to install Google Toolbar (or any other software
> offered) if you don't want it!
>
> 7. Delete the downloaded installation file (#4 above) after completing the
> above procedure and reboot if not prompted to do so.
>
> 8. Test
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> xfarmer wrote:
> > "The version and vendor from the JRE
> >
> > Java Version: 1.6.0_10 from Sun Microsystems Inc."
> >
> > I get the same error on both of websites you posted. If I click "OK" to
> > both
> > error boxes that come up, the pages work fine.
> > This has to be something simple that is just eluding us.
> > Thanks for hanging in there with me...
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't ask if you had "the latest version of Java" installed, I asked
> >> what version it was.
> >>
> >> How do you make out on this test page? => http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Robert Aldwinckle

"xfarmer" <xfarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:141F7417-0160-4CA8-BF14-DD286AFE0622@microsoft.com...
> That worked PA!

> I guess v1.6.0_10 is a buggy update....
> Thank you very much for your assisstance on this.

Guess again. FWIW I have that build in order to work with IE8 (on XPsp3)
and I was able to use your cross-word puzzle java app without any unusual symptoms.

xfarmer

Re: Microsoft Jscript compilation error - expected ';'
Possibly the combination of IE7, Vista Home Premium and the Java v1.6.0_10
causes problems. Isn't IE8 still beta?