IE7 add ons causing slow running

Shoulderhead

IE7 add ons causing slow running
Hello,

IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.

If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.

But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access to
internet.

So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
around 40 or so add ons!

My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'? This
slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific so I
can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start from
scratch again?
Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which ones?

Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance. Shd
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
problem:

1- Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab > 'Manage add-ons'
button > 'Manage Add-ons' window.

2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

3- Restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to Manage Add-ons >
click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single add-on, then exit
and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works properly. Repeat
until you determine which add-on causes the problem to occur.

Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask it's technical
support for help.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Shoulderhead wrote:
> Hello,
>
> IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.
>
> If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.
>
> But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access to
> internet.
>
> So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
> around 40 or so add ons!
>
> My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'? This
> slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific so I
> can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
> Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start from
> scratch again?
> Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which ones?
>
> Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.
>
> Any advice welcomed.
>
> Thanks in advance. Shd

shoulderhead

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Many thanks, Leonard.
I will do this and post any pertinent results.

Best regards, Shd

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
> problem:
>
> 1- Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab > 'Manage add-ons'
> button > 'Manage Add-ons' window.
>
> 2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
> Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
> each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
> Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
>
> 3- Restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to Manage Add-ons >
> click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single add-on, then exit
> and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works properly. Repeat
> until you determine which add-on causes the problem to occur.
>
> Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask it's technical
> support for help.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Shoulderhead wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.
> >
> > If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.
> >
> > But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access to
> > internet.
> >
> > So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
> > around 40 or so add ons!
> >
> > My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'? This
> > slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific so I
> > can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
> > Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start from
> > scratch again?
> > Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which ones?
> >
> > Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.
> >
> > Any advice welcomed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance. Shd

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).

9 times out of 10, such problems are caused by having an excessive number of
third-party toolbars installed (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live; Skype;
Roboform).

You might try doing a Reset and then re-enabling (or reinstalling, in some
cases) your Add-ons one at a time until you've discovered which Add-on(s)
is/are causing the problem(s). See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
<= Read before using!
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Shoulderhead wrote:
> IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.
>
> If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.
>
> But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access to
> internet.
>
> So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
> around 40 or so add ons!
>
> My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'? This
> slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific so
> can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
> Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start from
> scratch again?
> Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which
> ones?
>
> Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.
>
> Any advice welcomed.
>
> Thanks in advance. Shd

shoulderhead

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Hi PA Bear, thanks for reply.

Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless updates
have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?

I'm sure your answer is correct. Have had the Google toolbar for years
without problems - but no others apparent. Still going through the add ons
individually (as Leonard suggested).

Thanks again, Shd

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
>
> 9 times out of 10, such problems are caused by having an excessive number of
> third-party toolbars installed (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live; Skype;
> Roboform).

> You might try doing a Reset and then re-enabling (or reinstalling, in some
> cases) your Add-ons one at a time until you've discovered which Add-on(s)
> is/are causing the problem(s). See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> <= Read before using!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Shoulderhead wrote:
> > IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.
> >
> > If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.
> >
> > But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access to
> > internet.
> >
> > So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
> > around 40 or so add ons!
> >
> > My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'? This
> > slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific so
> > can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
> > Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start from
> > scratch again?
> > Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which
> > ones?
> >
> > Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.
> >
> > Any advice welcomed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance. Shd

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
> Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
> updates
> have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?

Right-click on My Computer | Properties.

shoulderhead wrote:
> Hi PA Bear, thanks for reply.
>
> Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
> updates
> have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?
>
> I'm sure your answer is correct. Have had the Google toolbar for years
> without problems - but no others apparent. Still going through the add ons
> individually (as Leonard suggested).
>
> Thanks again, Shd
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
>>
>> 9 times out of 10, such problems are caused by having an excessive number
>> of third-party toolbars installed (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live;
>> Skype; Roboform).
>>

>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> You might try doing a Reset and then re-enabling (or reinstalling, in
>> some
>> cases) your Add-ons one at a time until you've discovered which Add-on(s)
>> is/are causing the problem(s). See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> <= Read before using!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Shoulderhead wrote:
>>> IE7 taking an age to load on opening - and then running slow.
>>>
>>> If I run it without add ons, no problems and easy, fast running.
>>>
>>> But, of course, I need some add ons (Active X etc) to have full access
>>> internet.
>>>
>>> So, I went into MANAGE ADD ONS and was shocked to discover that I have
>>> around 40 or so add ons!
>>>
>>> My question: How can I work out which are 'good' and which are 'bad'?
>>> This
>>> slow running is a recent problem, but the add ons are not date specific
>>> so
>>> can't see what came in recently, at the time of the problem starting.
>>> Would it be easier/preferable to do a clean install of IE7 and start
>>> from
>>> scratch again?
>>> Or, is anyone aware of similar problems caused by recent add ons? Which
>>> ones?
>>>
>>> Apologies for vague question, unsure where to start here.
>>>
>>> Any advice welcomed.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Shd

shoulderhead

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Thanks.

Windows XP Home Edition SP3

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
> > updates
> > have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?

> Right-click on My Computer | Properties.
>
> shoulderhead wrote:
> > Hi PA Bear, thanks for reply.
> >
> > Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
> > updates
> > have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?
> >
> > I'm sure your answer is correct. Have had the Google toolbar for years
> > without problems - but no others apparent. Still going through the add ons
> > individually (as Leonard suggested).
> >
> > Thanks again, Shd
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
> >>
> >> 9 times out of 10, such problems are caused by having an excessive number
> >> of third-party toolbars installed (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live;
> >> Skype; Roboform).
> >>

> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> You might try doing a Reset and then re-enabling (or reinstalling, in
> >> some
> >> cases) your Add-ons one at a time until you've discovered which Add-on(s)
> >> is/are causing the problem(s). See
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> >> <= Read before using!
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Thank you. Carry on.

shoulderhead wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Windows XP Home Edition SP3
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
>>> updates
>>> have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?

>> Right-click on My Computer | Properties.
>>
>> shoulderhead wrote:
>>> Hi PA Bear, thanks for reply.
>>>
>>> Windows XP home edition. As far as I know I'm still on SP2 - unless
>>> updates
>>> have automatically upped me to SP3 - unsure how to check this?
>>>
>>> I'm sure your answer is correct. Have had the Google toolbar for years
>>> without problems - but no others apparent. Still going through the add
>>> ons
>>> individually (as Leonard suggested).
>>>
>>> Thanks again, Shd

shoulderhead

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
Thanks for your patience. Took far longer than I had imagined it would.

Problem was being caused by a Browser Helper Object:

Windows Live Sign-in Helper - Microsoft Corporation - (File)
WindowsLiveLogin.dll

Once disabled, all internet running normally, no long waiting for pages etc.

Only visible difference, without this object, is that my Hotmail sign-in
page has only one name on the screen (it usually has a few, as other family
members also use this PC and have hotmail accounts) - but that is a small
price to pay.

Am seriously considering deleting some of the add ons as there are SO many
and - even though things are running well now - it still runs decidedly
quicker if started without add ons.

But that is for the future.
In the meantime I offer my sincere gratitude to Leonard Grey and PA Bear
for solving this problem for me.

Deeply indebted, hope I can return the favour sometime.

With best wishes, Shd

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thank you. Carry on.
>
> shoulderhead wrote:
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Windows XP Home Edition SP3

> >> Right-click on My Computer | Properties.

Re: IE7 add ons causing slow running
YW. Tell me something: Had you installed a Windows Live "wave3" beta
application (e.g., Windows Live Mail; Windows Live Messenger; Windows Live
Toolbar) using the "all-in-one" installer? The "wave3" betas were first
released in mid-September and those running Windows Live Mail, especially,
have been encountering some unusual problems lately.
--
~PA Bear