Provide the ability to minimize the Favorites Pane

Blue Max

Provide the ability to minimize the Favorites Pane
Internet Explorer 7 provides the option to 'Pin' the Favorites/History pane
so that it will remain visible. However, if you hide the pane by pressing
the 'Favorites Center' button (the star), you need to re-pin the pane when
it is redisplayed. This is great for someone who wants to use the menu once
and then have it automatically disappear. However, it is somewhat
cumbersome for someone who just wants to minimize the pane for a few minutes
and then restore it. Why not provide an option that controls whether the
Favorites/History pane reappears 'Pinned' or 'Unpinned'? Such a feature
would accommodate both types of users.

VanguardLH

Re: Provide the ability to minimize the Favorites Pane
Blue Max wrote:

> Internet Explorer 7 provides the option to 'Pin' the Favorites/History pane
> so that it will remain visible. However, if you hide the pane by pressing
> the 'Favorites Center' button (the star), you need to re-pin the pane when
> it is redisplayed. This is great for someone who wants to use the menu once
> and then have it automatically disappear. However, it is somewhat
> cumbersome for someone who just wants to minimize the pane for a few minutes
> and then restore it. Why not provide an option that controls whether the
> Favorites/History pane reappears 'Pinned' or 'Unpinned'? Such a feature
> would accommodate both types of users.

Considering how you will still have to drill down through the hierarchy
of menues in the history panel when displaying Favorites, why not just
do the same drilling by using the drop-down Favorites menu?

Under the Tools dropdown list button in the fixed toolbar (same row as
the tabs and the star buttons), enable displaying the menu bar. Then
you can just use the Favorites menu to pop it open to navigate through
your list of favorite shortcuts.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message news:2EC5BA2B-3D84-451F-ABBF-26241E5E4857@microsoft.com...
> Internet Explorer 7 provides the option to 'Pin' the Favorites/History pane
> so that it will remain visible. However, if you hide the pane by pressing
> the 'Favorites Center' button (the star), you need to re-pin the pane when
> it is redisplayed. This is great for someone who wants to use the menu once
> and then have it automatically disappear. However, it is somewhat
> cumbersome for someone who just wants to minimize the pane for a few minutes
> and then restore it. Why not provide an option that controls whether the
> Favorites/History pane reappears 'Pinned' or 'Unpinned'? Such a feature
> would accommodate both types of users.

Use a keyboard shortcut instead. Press Ctrl-Shift-I

---

Blue Max

Re: Provide the ability to minimize the Favorites Pane
True, but that simply provides the same functionality already provided by
pressing the favorites "Star" button, correct? Only now we also have an
unwanted menu bar. Our desire is to enable a persistent pane (not a
disappearing pane) that can be quickly hidden and then permanently
re-displayed with one click.

*****************
> Blue Max wrote:
>
>> Internet Explorer 7 provides the option to 'Pin' the Favorites/History
>> pane
>> so that it will remain visible. However, if you hide the pane by
>> pressing
>> the 'Favorites Center' button (the star), you need to re-pin the pane
>> when
>> it is redisplayed. This is great for someone who wants to use the menu
>> once
>> and then have it automatically disappear. However, it is somewhat
>> cumbersome for someone who just wants to minimize the pane for a few
>> minutes
>> and then restore it. Why not provide an option that controls whether the
>> Favorites/History pane reappears 'Pinned' or 'Unpinned'? Such a feature
>> would accommodate both types of users.

> Considering how you will still have to drill down through the hierarchy
> of menues in the history panel when displaying Favorites, why not just
> do the same drilling by using the drop-down Favorites menu?
>
> Under the Tools dropdown list button in the fixed toolbar (same row as
> the tabs and the star buttons), enable displaying the menu bar. Then
> you can just use the Favorites menu to pop it open to navigate through
> your list of favorite shortcuts.

Blue Max

Re: Provide the ability to minimize the Favorites Pane
Perfect, Robert, just what we needed! Why in the world couldn't they just
assign this to a button in the Favorites area or let the user configure the
favorites 'Star' button to work just like this, if desired?