CLOSING PROBLEM!

PB

CLOSING PROBLEM!
I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the phising
filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are having
at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I always
click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is happening and
how to solve this problem?

Thanks

PB
Leonard Grey

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

PB wrote:
> I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
> nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the phising
> filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are having
> at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
> creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I always
> click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is happening and
> how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> PB

Alan Justice

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ...and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> PB wrote:
> > I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
> > nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the

phising
> > filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are

having
> > at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
> > creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I

always
> > click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is

happening and
> > how to solve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > PB

This sounds exactly like the problem I have with IE6 (with Win 98). (See my
11/5 posts, "IE6 crashes...'). Any suggestions for me?

--
Alan Justice

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
"PB" <PB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
> nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the
> phising
> filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are
> having
> at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
> creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I
> always
> click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is happening
> and
> how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> PB

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

md

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
This seems to be an increasingly common issue.

You might start by reading this:

http://www.overclock.net/windows/271...-exe-loop.html

And if you recently upgraded your Flash, this is worth reading:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y
PB

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
Thank you very much for your reply. Much Appreciated. I have changed the
setting to No Adds-Ons and looking into the other links you've suggested.

Regards

PB

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> PB wrote:
> > I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
> > nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the phising
> > filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are having
> > at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
> > creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I always
> > click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is happening and
> > how to solve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > PB

PB

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
Thank you very much for your reply. MY setting is on No Adds-On at the moment
and I will check other links you suggested as well.

Regards

PB

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "PB" <PB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded IE7 a couple of months ago and since then it has been a
> > nightmare using internet. It is very very slow, I have disabled the
> > phising
> > filter and deleted the temporary files but the biggest problem we are
> > having
> > at the moment is "closing an application" everytime we try to do so it
> > creates an error and ask me if I would like to send the report and I
> > always
> > click yes but no improvement at all. Does anyone know why it is happening
> > and
> > how to solve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > PB

> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
> article first:
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?
>
> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

PB

Re: CLOSING PROBLEM!
Thank you very much for your reply. I will check the links to see if there is
anything else I can do.

Cheers

Regards

PB