IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address

Joe Golan

IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
challanged.
He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
This problem started within the last few days
He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the internet
using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address to
get to sites.
This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via wireless
and are WEP protected.
When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message "Internet
Explorer cannot display the webpage"
I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.
I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
(over the old) with no change.
The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
internet by using an IP address.

I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

Joe Golan

RE: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
One thing I forgot to mention is that I had him also install FireFox 3 and it
too cannot get to web site using urls

"Joe Golan" wrote:

> I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
> challanged.
> He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
> He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
> He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
> This problem started within the last few days
> He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the internet
> using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address to
> get to sites.
> This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via wireless
> and are WEP protected.
> When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message "Internet
> Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.
> I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
> (over the old) with no change.
> The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
> internet by using an IP address.
>
> I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

Don Varnau

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
Hi,
You've reset the modem and/or router and restarted the affected computer?
Leave the modem and router powered down for 4 or 5 minutes.

Try resetting the DNS cache:
Start> Run> cmd [enter]
ipconfig /flushdns
[enter] or [OK]
Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One thing I forgot to mention is that I had him also install FireFox 3 and

it
> too cannot get to web site using urls

> "Joe Golan" wrote:
>
> > I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
> > challanged.
> > He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
> > He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
> > He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
> > This problem started within the last few days
> > He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the

internet
> > using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address

> > get to sites.
> > This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via

wireless
> > and are WEP protected.
> > When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message

"Internet
> > Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> > I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.
> > I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
> > (over the old) with no change.
> > The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
> > internet by using an IP address.
> >
> > I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> > would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

Joe Golan

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
Don,

Sorry this took so long but my friend was out of town.

Tried your suggestion and no change. I can still get to internet site only
by typing an IP address, unable to get their by usinf urls.

Any other ideas

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> You've reset the modem and/or router and restarted the affected computer?
> Leave the modem and router powered down for 4 or 5 minutes.
>
> Try resetting the DNS cache:
> Start> Run> cmd [enter]
> ipconfig /flushdns
> [enter] or [OK]
> Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One thing I forgot to mention is that I had him also install FireFox 3 and

> it
> > too cannot get to web site using urls

> > "Joe Golan" wrote:
> >
> > > I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
> > > challanged.
> > > He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
> > > He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
> > > He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
> > > This problem started within the last few days
> > > He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the

> internet
> > > using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address

> > > get to sites.
> > > This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via

> wireless
> > > and are WEP protected.
> > > When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message

> "Internet
> > > Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> > > I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.
> > > I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
> > > (over the old) with no change.
> > > The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
> > > internet by using an IP address.
> > >
> > > I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> > > would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

Joe Golan

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
Don,

I brought over another machine (laptop) and connect via wire to his router.
Everything is OK on the other machine so it seems that the router and cable
modem should be fine.

I also ran Norton's removal tool to insure that Norton 360 (ver 2) was
completely uninstalled.

I then disabled the windows firewall to test from his PC and it is still
blocked when attempting urls but ok with IP addresses.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> You've reset the modem and/or router and restarted the affected computer?
> Leave the modem and router powered down for 4 or 5 minutes.
>
> Try resetting the DNS cache:
> Start> Run> cmd [enter]
> ipconfig /flushdns
> [enter] or [OK]
> Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One thing I forgot to mention is that I had him also install FireFox 3 and

> it
> > too cannot get to web site using urls

> > "Joe Golan" wrote:
> >
> > > I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
> > > challanged.
> > > He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
> > > He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
> > > He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
> > > This problem started within the last few days
> > > He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the

> internet
> > > using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address

> > > get to sites.
> > > This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via

> wireless
> > > and are WEP protected.
> > > When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message

> "Internet
> > > Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> > > I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.
> > > I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
> > > (over the old) with no change.
> > > The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
> > > internet by using an IP address.
> > >
> > > I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> > > would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

RN in Boca

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
I've been having same problem since 11/11/08. Can open (old) favorite pages,
but not links...even if I save/open them as a (new) favorite. I downloaded
free SpyBot Search&Destroy...that site opened OK...but when trying to execute
the set up...it tries to go to 127.0.0.1 (my PC)????

On 11/11, I got a trojan 'Generic Fake Alert.d, which creates a phony
infected system pop-up, and resets IE home page to Google. I cleared both
after a few days, by running McAfee anti spyware as well as tweaking some
security settings. But the IE problem still exists. (IE cannot display the
webpage). sometimes, clicking a google search result, just gets another site
with similar search results...not the site I am trying to open. WHAT GIVES???
AND Please do not tell me to open a link. Thanks.

"Joe Golan" wrote:

> Don,
>
> I brought over another machine (laptop) and connect via wire to his router.
> Everything is OK on the other machine so it seems that the router and cable
> modem should be fine.
>
> I also ran Norton's removal tool to insure that Norton 360 (ver 2) was
> completely uninstalled.
>
> I then disabled the windows firewall to test from his PC and it is still
> blocked when attempting urls but ok with IP addresses.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > You've reset the modem and/or router and restarted the affected computer?
> > Leave the modem and router powered down for 4 or 5 minutes.
> >
> > Try resetting the DNS cache:
> > Start> Run> cmd [enter]
> > ipconfig /flushdns
> > [enter] or [OK]
> > Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]
> >
> > "Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > One thing I forgot to mention is that I had him also install FireFox 3 and

> > it
> > > too cannot get to web site using urls

> > internet

> > wireless

> > "Internet

Robert Aldwinckle

"RN in Boca" <RNinBoca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACE52709-C3D5-42DB-B3EE-0DF02BD18B22@microsoft.com...
> I've been having same problem since 11/11/08. Can open (old) favorite pages,
> but not links...even if I save/open them as a (new) favorite. I downloaded
> free SpyBot Search&Destroy...that site opened OK...but when trying to execute
> the set up...it tries to go to 127.0.0.1 (my PC)????
>
> On 11/11, I got a trojan 'Generic Fake Alert.d, which creates a phony
> infected system pop-up, and resets IE home page to Google. I cleared both
> after a few days, by running McAfee anti spyware as well as tweaking some
> security settings. But the IE problem still exists. (IE cannot display the
> webpage). sometimes, clicking a google search result, just gets another site
> with similar search results...not the site I am trying to open. WHAT GIVES???
> AND Please do not tell me to open a link. Thanks.

This does not sound like the OP's symptom at all.
Please start a new thread to discuss yours and avoid confusing this one.

---

> "Joe Golan" wrote:
>
>> Don,
>>
>> I brought over another machine (laptop) and connect via wire to his router.
>> Everything is OK on the other machine so it seems that the router and cable
>> modem should be fine.
>>
>> I also ran Norton's removal tool to insure that Norton 360 (ver 2) was
>> completely uninstalled.
>>
>> I then disabled the windows firewall to test from his PC and it is still
>> blocked when attempting urls but ok with IP addresses.
>>
>> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > You've reset the modem and/or router and restarted the affected computer?
>> > Leave the modem and router powered down for 4 or 5 minutes.
>> >
>> > Try resetting the DNS cache:
>> > Start> Run> cmd [enter]
>> > ipconfig /flushdns
>> > [enter] or [OK]
>> > Then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
>> >
>> > Hope this helps,
>> > Don
>> > [MS MVP- IE]
>> >
>> > "Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > it

>> > internet
>> > wireless
>> > "Internet

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
(cross-post added to XP Networking)
"Joe Golan" <JoeGolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:030377F3-BBD8-413B-8C03-AAB802176683@microsoft.com...
>I am writing this for a friend who cannot access the internet and is PC
> challanged.
> He is using XP SP3 and IE 7
> He is on a cable modem and has a wireless router connected to it.
> He is using Norton 360 as his protection software
> This problem started within the last few days
> He has a home network in which one machine cannot connect to the internet
> using urls (i.e. www.microsoft.com as an example) but can use IP address to
> get to sites.
> This machine is hardwired to his router, the rest of them work via wireless
> and are WEP protected.
> When he attemps to go to a web site he is geing back the message "Internet
> Explorer cannot display the webpage"
> I have look through some of the other posts and have gone through
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 without resolving this issue.

> I had him reset IE to defaults and also tried having him re-install IE 7
> (over the old) with no change.
> The other posts here did not mention if they were able to access the
> internet by using an IP address.

This sounds like a problem which you could isolate IE from entirely.
So, posting to a networking NG might be more appropriate.
In fact, I'll start a cross-post there now...

Your symptom looks as if there is no DNS for XP to do lookups with,
e.g. using the addresses that show up when you enter (in a cmd window)

ipconfig /all

but since a router is involved I guess you aren't going to see anything
very useful there, just local addresses(?) and would have to find out
what the real DNS addresses that are being used in the other device.

Then you could use nslookup to compare results you get using an
address from each pair. Notice that nslookup provides a second
parameter to allow you to override a default DNS address.
Hence if both DNS addresses have names and do reverse lookups
for you, you can test them by entering nslookup with both addresses
like this:

nslookup <first DNS server address> <second DNS server address>

nslookup <second DNS server address <first DNS server address>

(where the bracketed values are just the IP addresses seen beside the
DNS servers item in the ipconfig /all reply)

So those are just example tests but presumably you could do the same
thing with the other addresses that you found the other device,
using pairs in any combination from all four addresses.

BTW how does your friend get the IP addresses that he uses? ; )

In any case, I suspect this would greatly limit the set of sites
that he has access to because as soon as one would do a redirection
to a different host there would be no DNS available to do its required lookup...

> I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

(Original post dated 2008-11-07)

Have you thought about taking over his machine remotely?
I don't know if that works without DNS either. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Joe Golan

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
Robert,

In the begining of troubleshooting this, his carrier's help desk had him try
this, they supplied an IP address to reach their home site. I also tried this
with a few IP addresses I knew. All the IP address work but when a url is
used it does not. I had the Dell help desk on the other day from his machine
and they had me "repair" the XP" installation but there was no change to the
situation. The only thing they suggested after that was to re-intall XP from
scratch (the catch all destroyer of problems)

It boils down to it is his machine, even with all firewalls removed or
disabled he cannot reach a web site by typing a url i.e. www.mircosoft.com.
If you read through the posts I did try installing FireFox but got the same
results so logically it is not IE, must be something more common in XP.

I have not tried taking over his machine remotely. I did not follow what you
were suggesting with nslookup or how that may correct the problem. Can you
elaberate?

Joe Golan

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> thing with the other addresses that you found the other device,
> using pairs in any combination from all four addresses.
>

> BTW how does your friend get the IP addresses that he uses? ; )
>
> In any case, I suspect this would greatly limit the set of sites
> that he has access to because as soon as one would do a redirection
> to a different host there would be no DNS available to do its required lookup...
>

> > I will be heading over to his home to work on this over the weekend and
> > would appreciate any suggestions you can give.

> (Original post dated 2008-11-07)
>
> Have you thought about taking over his machine remotely?
> I don't know if that works without DNS either. ; )
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Joe Golan

Re: IE can't get to sites using url but can with IP address
What newtorking NG did you cross post this to so I can follow it? I can't
seem to locate here at Microsoft.

Joe Golan