Access to a Website

Cleo

Access to a Website
I am using WinXP-SP2 IE 7. My problem is that I can no longer access a
website that I have been logging in to for a long time. I get that error
message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I have had my
friends try the link and it works for everyone but me. Could someone give me
any suggestions as to what settings might be causing this problem? I have
tried all that I can think of. Thank you!!
--
Cleo
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Access to a Website
"Cleo" <Cleo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using WinXP-SP2 IE 7. My problem is that I can no longer access a
> website that I have been logging in to for a long time. I get that error
> message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I have had my
> friends try the link and it works for everyone but me. Could someone give
> me
> any suggestions as to what settings might be causing this problem? I have
> tried all that I can think of. Thank you!!
> --
> Cleo

Check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for a file named HOSTS with no
extension. (Not Hosts.sam)
Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and folders and is NOT set to
hide extensions for known file types.
If HOSTS exists, rename it to HOSTS.OLD
Reboot an try again.

Or, In a Cmd window, enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear your TIF also, and re-boot.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Daniel Crichton

Re: Access to a Website
Cleo wrote on Fri, 7 Nov 2008 02:16:01 -0800:

> I am using WinXP-SP2 IE 7. My problem is that I can no longer access
> a website that I have been logging in to for a long time. I get that
> error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I have
> had my friends try the link and it works for everyone but me. Could
> someone give me any suggestions as to what settings might be causing
> this problem? I have tried all that I can think of. Thank you!!
> --
> Cleo

There's a whole myriad of possibilities. Here are a few you could try:

1) Hosts file - your hosts file contains an IP mapping for the website
hostname you are trying to access, pointing to an IP that does not respond
to HTTP requests

2) DNS - your DNS server (probably at your ISP) has the wrong IP for the
website, and is pointing to an IP that does not respond to HTTP requests

3) IP blocked at the server - your IP address has been blocked from
accessing that website at the IP layer, so you don't see a traditional
Forbidden HTTP response

4) No route to host - your ISP is having routing issues and is unable to
route to that website at the present time

5) Cookies - the cookies that your browser is sending to the website is
causing it not respond due to a coding issue on the site, or the server is
designed to not respond to the cookie being sent

(6) Application blocking outgoing IE requests to that hostname - software on
your PC (such as ZoneAlarm, or Norton Security) is blocking access to the
site, possiblity due to inadvertently clicking a Disallow button.

(1) and (5) are easy to check and rectify - for (1) just check your hosts
file, and for (5) simply remove the cookie for the website you are
attempting to connect to. (6) is easy to check - look in the block list for
the offending application. The others can be messy to sort out, although (3)
and (4) might be possible to verify using traceroute (tracert.exe on
Windows) or a simple ping - (3) would require correction by your ISP, and
(4) would require you to obtain a different IP from your ISP (and even then
might result in no connection if that IP is also blocked).

This is only a small list - there might be lots of other possibilites.
Unfortunately you've given very little information to go on.

--
Dan

Cleo

Re: Access to a Website
Guys, I have tried your suggestions (at least the ones I knew how to do) and
I still can't access the website. I guess it just isn't meant to be, so I am
just going to forget about that site and maybe some day I will be able to
access it again. Thank you for your help and I truely appreciate it.
--
Cleo