Two Important questions

Janet

Two Important questions
Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start up
page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
explorer 7
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new live
hotmail.

Re: Two Important questions
posting to this newsgroup.

A1a. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
for IE updates (uncheck).

A1b. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <= this
file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is shown here
(e.g., v7.2222.2222)?

A2. You can't go back to "the old Hotmail."

"I...want to talk about our decision to combine the old “Classic” and “Full”
versions of Hotmail into a single experience that we think will work
extremely well for all our users." (15 Oct-08)
http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry

Thanks for the feedback on the latest Hotmail release! Here’s the scoop… (01
Oct-08)
http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry

Hotmail update coming soon (26 Sept-08)
http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Janet wrote:
> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start
> up
> page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> explorer 7
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new
> live
> hotmail.

Janet

Re: Two Important questions
I have windows xp… I want my page to open to the page I have set as my start
up page not this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

On hotmail I really wish we had a choice and not just switched over. Maybe
you can answer this when I go to forward email it will not show my whole
address book and will not scroll down so I can see all the names in there.
How do I fix this? There are a couple of names in my address book that has
this by it > what does that mean?

Maybe you can also answer this on MSN main page I have it set for a green
background but it keeps going back to a grey background. Where there is a pic
by an article it shows a box with a red x in it. Most the graphics want show
up on the main MSN page. I also set it to show 10 news articles it keeps
going back to 5. Why and how can I fix this?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> A1a. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
> for IE updates (uncheck).
>
> A1b. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <= this
> file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is shown here
> (e.g., v7.2222.2222)?
>
> A2. You can't go back to "the old Hotmail."
>
> "I...want to talk about our decision to combine the old “Classic” and “Full”
> versions of Hotmail into a single experience that we think will work
> extremely well for all our users." (15 Oct-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry
>
> Thanks for the feedback on the latest Hotmail release! Here’s the scoop… (01
> Oct-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry
>
> Hotmail update coming soon (26 Sept-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Janet wrote:
> > Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start
> > up
> > page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> > explorer 7
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> >
> > Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new
> > live
> > hotmail.

Janet

Re: Two Important questions
the version I have is 7.0.6000.16735

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> A1a. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
> for IE updates (uncheck).
>
> A1b. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <= this
> file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is shown here
> (e.g., v7.2222.2222)?
>
> A2. You can't go back to "the old Hotmail."
>
> "I...want to talk about our decision to combine the old “Classic” and “Full”
> versions of Hotmail into a single experience that we think will work
> extremely well for all our users." (15 Oct-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry
>
> Thanks for the feedback on the latest Hotmail release! Here’s the scoop… (01
> Oct-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry
>
> Hotmail update coming soon (26 Sept-08)
> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Janet wrote:
> > Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start
> > up
> > page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> > explorer 7
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> >
> > Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new
> > live
> > hotmail.

Kayman

Re: Two Important questions
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:21:01 -0800, Janet wrote:

> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start up
> page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> explorer 7
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Clean HDD
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr" (w/out quotation
marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.

Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

Scan with;
Malwarebytes Corporation - Anti-Malware
Note: It is Free for private use. Just download (do NOT buy) and install.
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora
before posting a HJT log and read the 'stickies'
(instructions/guidelines) for the respective HJT forum.

You may have to uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these
directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

If you upgraded to IE 7 'before' you applied SP 3, you'll have to
uninstall SP 3 first.

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail?

You can't

> I hate this new live hotmail.

It's not too bad if it's working
Go to:
(msnews.microsoft.com)
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
--and/or--
microsoft.public.msn.discussion

Finally:
Consider installing SP3
--and--
Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck

Re: Two Important questions
"windows xp" is not the full version. I need you to answer 2 questions:

1. Is it Windows XP Service Pack 2 (WinXP SP2) or WinXP SP3?

2. If it's WinXP SP3, did you install IE7 before or after you installed SP3?

We're only going to deal with the IE behavior in this thread. You can ask
Hotmail-specific questions in microsoft.public.internet.mail newsgroup; You
can ask MSN-specific questions in microsoft.public.msn.discussion newsgroup.
Thanks.
--
~PA Bear

Janet wrote:
<paste>
> the version I have is 7.0.6000.16735

<paste>
> I have windows xp… I want my page to open to the page I have set as my
> start up page not this
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> On hotmail I really wish we had a choice and not just switched over. Maybe
> you can answer this when I go to forward email it will not show my whole
> address book and will not scroll down so I can see all the names in there.
> How do I fix this? There are a couple of names in my address book that
> has
> this by it > what does that mean?
>
> Maybe you can also answer this on MSN main page I have it set for a green
> background but it keeps going back to a grey background. Where there is a
> pic by an article it shows a box with a red x in it. Most the graphics
> want
> show up on the main MSN page. I also set it to show 10 news articles it
> keeps going back to 5. Why and how can I fix this?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> A1a. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically
>> check for IE updates (uncheck).
>>
>> A1b. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=
>> this
>> file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is shown
>> here
>> (e.g., v7.2222.2222)?
>>
>> A2. You can't go back to "the old Hotmail."
>>
>> "I...want to talk about our decision to combine the old “Classic” and
>> “Full” versions of Hotmail into a single experience that we think will
>> work
>> extremely well for all our users." (15 Oct-08)
>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback on the latest Hotmail release! Here’s the scoop…
>> (01 Oct-08)
>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry
>>
>> Hotmail update coming soon (26 Sept-08)
>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Janet wrote:
>>> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my
>>> start
>>> up
>>> page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
>>> explorer 7
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>>>
>>> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new
>>> live
>>> hotmail.

Janet

RE: Two Important questions for Pa Bear
PA Bear
Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Is this what you wanted to know?
7.00.6000.16735 (vista_gdr.080820-1506)

Would you read over all my replies and see if you can answer all my other
questions?
Thank you
Janet

"Janet" wrote:

> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start up
> page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> explorer 7
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new live
> hotmail.

Re: Two Important questions for Pa Bear
1. You're welcome and thank you: You are running Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)
in Vista (not Vista SP1) and your machine is current (fully up-to-date) at
Windows Update.

2. Repost:
>> ...IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically
>> check for IE updates (uncheck).

Have you done the above (yet), Janet? Unchecking that "Automatically check
for Internet Explorer updates" option should cause IE to stop opening to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx.

3a. The long links I posted in an earlier reply may answer many of your
Hotmail questions. Here they are again:

http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry

http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry

http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry

3b. This is a newsgroup for discussing Internet Explorer (IE). For best
advice, you should ask your questions about Hotmail & MSN in a new post in a
different newsgroup: microsoft.public.msn.discussion

Click (or CTRL+left-click) to open that newsgroup in your browser:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...msn.discussion

Janet wrote:
> PA Bear
> Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Is this what you wanted to know?
> 7.00.6000.16735 (vista_gdr.080820-1506)
>
> Would you read over all my replies and see if you can answer all my other
> questions?
> Thank you

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> "windows xp" is not the full version. I need you to answer 2 questions:
>
> 1. Is it Windows XP Service Pack 2 (WinXP SP2) or WinXP SP3?
>
> 2. If it's WinXP SP3, did you install IE7 before or after you installed
> SP3?
>
> We're only going to deal with the IE behavior in this thread. You can ask
> Hotmail-specific questions in microsoft.public.internet.mail newsgroup;
> You
> can ask MSN-specific questions in microsoft.public.msn.discussion
> newsgroup.
> Thanks.
>
> Janet wrote:
> <paste>
>> the version I have is 7.0.6000.16735

> <paste>
>> I have windows xp… I want my page to open to the page I have set as my
>> start up page not this
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>>
>> On hotmail I really wish we had a choice and not just switched over.
>> Maybe
>> you can answer this when I go to forward email it will not show my whole
>> address book and will not scroll down so I can see all the names in
>> there.
>> How do I fix this? There are a couple of names in my address book that
>> has
>> this by it > what does that mean?
>>
>> Maybe you can also answer this on MSN main page I have it set for a green
>> background but it keeps going back to a grey background. Where there is a
>> pic by an article it shows a box with a red x in it. Most the graphics
>> want
>> show up on the main MSN page. I also set it to show 10 news articles it
>> keeps going back to 5. Why and how can I fix this?
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> A1a. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically
>>> check for IE updates (uncheck).
>>>
>>> A1b. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=
>>> this
>>> file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is shown
>>> here
>>> (e.g., v7.2222.2222)?
>>>
>>> A2. You can't go back to "the old Hotmail."
>>>
>>> "I...want to talk about our decision to combine the old “Classic” and
>>> “Full” versions of Hotmail into a single experience that we think will
>>> work
>>> extremely well for all our users." (15 Oct-08)
>>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!8878.entry
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback on the latest Hotmail release! Here’s the scoop…
>>> (01 Oct-08)
>>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7929.entry
>>>
>>> Hotmail update coming soon (26 Sept-08)
>>> http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.c...D59!7426.entry

</paste>
>> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start
>> up page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
>> explorer 7
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>>
>> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new
>> live hotmail.

Janet

Re: Two Important questions for Pa Bear
....IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically
>> check for IE updates (uncheck).Yes I did this on the 6th and the link still opens every time I sign on.

Now what do I need to do to stop the page opening where my start up page
will open?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> How do I fix this? There are a couple of names in my address book that
> >> has
> >> this by it > what does that mean?
> >>
> >> Maybe you can also answer this on MSN main page I have it set for a green
> >> background but it keeps going back to a grey background. Where there is a
> >> pic by an article it shows a box with a red x in it. Most the graphics
> >> want
> >> show up on the main MSN page. I also set it to show 10 news articles it
> >> keeps going back to 5. Why and how can I fix this?

> </paste>
> >> Every time I sign on I get the below page page. This page is not my start
> >> up page and I want to know how to stop it from opening. I already have
> >> explorer 7
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> >>
> >> Also how do I cange my hotmail back to the old hotmail? I hate this new

By any chance was this machine upgraded to Vista from WinXP?

What is your chosen IE home page (e.g., http://my.msn.com)?

If you change your home page to, e.g., www.google.com, close IE, and reopen
IE, is your chosen home page still www.google.com?

What third-party toolbars are installed (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows
Live/MSN; Skype; Roboform)?

Can you successfully run Windows Update manually? See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...0.html#updates

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Was a Norton application ever installed on the machine (e.g., a free-trial
version of Norton AntiVirus that came preinstalled on the machine when you
bought it)?
--
~PA Bear