Tabs

RJD

Tabs
I can't restore tabbed browsing on my IE7. It was okay when I first upgraded
from IE6, but something must have happened or changed along the way.
Now, the "New Tab" selection under the File menu is greyed out, and when I
right-click a url on a web page to open the link in a new tab, what I get is
a new window.
I've tried resetting all my preferences via the Internet Options menu, but
no luck so far.
Hope you guys can help.
Thanks
--
RJDevan

Re: Tabs
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup. If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first, SP3
or IE7?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RJD wrote:
> I can't restore tabbed browsing on my IE7. It was okay when I first
> upgraded
> from IE6, but something must have happened or changed along the way.
> Now, the "New Tab" selection under the File menu is greyed out, and when I
> right-click a url on a web page to open the link in a new tab, what I get
> is
> a new window.
> I've tried resetting all my preferences via the Internet Options menu, but
> no luck so far.
> Hope you guys can help.
> Thanks

RJD

Re: Tabs
Thanks for the response, but I am at work now, but I will try your
suggestions when I get back home.

Would appreciate if you kept tabs (no pun intended) on this post.
--
RJDevan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup. If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first, SP3
> or IE7?
>
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> RJD wrote:
> > I can't restore tabbed browsing on my IE7. It was okay when I first
> > upgraded
> > from IE6, but something must have happened or changed along the way.
> > Now, the "New Tab" selection under the File menu is greyed out, and when I
> > right-click a url on a web page to open the link in a new tab, what I get
> > is
> > a new window.
> > I've tried resetting all my preferences via the Internet Options menu, but
> > no luck so far.
> > Hope you guys can help.
> > Thanks

RJD

Re: Tabs
Have tried your suggestions, but tabbed browsing is still unavailable.
FYI, I'm using Windows XP SP2 - I have yet to download the SP3 files, which
I know is pretty huge and will take a long time to install. I just can't find
the time at the moment.
Also, I've downloaded the IE7 file from Microsoft, in case no solution on
the problem/missing tabs is in sight and I need to re-install.
One question - do I need to uninstall IE7 before reinstalling?
Last question - does anyone know what the "fsjytds.dll" file is for? When I
run IE7, I get the message to the effect that "fsjytds.dll is not a valid
image - plse check with the windows cd". This only happens with IE7 - all
other applications are ok. This last problem only began appearing about a
week ago.
I regularly scan my PC (it's a Dell Dimension 8300, dual core 3GHz system
with 2.5GB of RAM) for viruses and spyware with Avast! and EasyCleaner, and
also run TuneUp Utilities.
Thanks

--
RJDevan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup. If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first, SP3
> or IE7?
>
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> RJD wrote:
> > I can't restore tabbed browsing on my IE7. It was okay when I first
> > upgraded
> > from IE6, but something must have happened or changed along the way.
> > Now, the "New Tab" selection under the File menu is greyed out, and when I
> > right-click a url on a web page to open the link in a new tab, what I get
> > is
> > a new window.
> > I've tried resetting all my preferences via the Internet Options menu, but
> > no luck so far.
> > Hope you guys can help.
> > Thanks

Re: Tabs
Thanks for your reply. You do NOT want to attempt uninstalling/reinstalling
IE7 or installing WinXP SP3 with the machine in its current state! (I'm
including some references in a footnote below [1] for your *later* use
only!)

> ...does anyone know what the "fsjytds.dll" file is for? When I
> run IE7, I get the message to the effect that "fsjytds.dll is not a valid
> image - plse check with the windows cd". This only happens with IE7 - all
> other applications are ok. This last problem only began appearing about a
> week ago.

Your computer was infected with hijackware (possibly Vundo, ZLOB, an
SDBot-variant, and a rootkit) about a week ago.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

[If you want me to keep tabs on your forum thread, post a link to it in a

===============
[1] WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

RJD wrote:
> Have tried your suggestions, but tabbed browsing is still unavailable.
> FYI, I'm using Windows XP SP2 - I have yet to download the SP3 files,
> which
> I know is pretty huge and will take a long time to install. I just can't
> find the time at the moment.
> Also, I've downloaded the IE7 file from Microsoft, in case no solution on
> the problem/missing tabs is in sight and I need to re-install.
> One question - do I need to uninstall IE7 before reinstalling?
> Last question - does anyone know what the "fsjytds.dll" file is for? When
> run IE7, I get the message to the effect that "fsjytds.dll is not a valid
> image - plse check with the windows cd". This only happens with IE7 - all
> other applications are ok. This last problem only began appearing about a
> week ago.
> I regularly scan my PC (it's a Dell Dimension 8300, dual core 3GHz system
> with 2.5GB of RAM) for viruses and spyware with Avast! and EasyCleaner,
> and
> also run TuneUp Utilities.
> Thanks
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup. If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first,
>> SP3 or IE7?
>>
>> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or
>>
>> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> Explorer
>> (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> RJD wrote:
>>> I can't restore tabbed browsing on my IE7. It was okay when I first
>>> upgraded
>>> from IE6, but something must have happened or changed along the way.
>>> Now, the "New Tab" selection under the File menu is greyed out, and when
>>> right-click a url on a web page to open the link in a new tab, what I
>>> get
>>> is
>>> a new window.
>>> I've tried resetting all my preferences via the Internet Options menu,
>>> but
>>> no luck so far.
>>> Hope you guys can help.
>>> Thanks

RJD

Re: Tabs
Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I'll try your suggestions,
beginning with the anti-spy/hijackware approach first.
That's a lot of reading you've recommended, and I'll keep everyone posted
here on how things turn out.
Needless to say, it's my main PC at home, so I'm reluctant to try out any
"radical" approach to fix the problem(s). I could simply install IE8 Beta,
but that would be too easy, right ?

--
RJDevan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > and
> > also run TuneUp Utilities.
> > Thanks
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup. If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first,
> >> SP3 or IE7?
> >>
> >> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer
> >> (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

Re: Tabs
Believe me when I tell you that installing IE8 Beta 2 would only make it
MUCH more complicated to resolve your problems (and I very much doubt IE8
Beta 2 would even install). At this point, there's a strong possibility
that your problems can be resolved with expert assistance. If you attempted
to install IE8 Beta 2 or WinXP SP3, there's a very good chance that only a
format & clean install of Windows would be the only way to resolve the
problems.