Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of blank

Alice

Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of blank
I changed the setting in Internet Options so that new tabs should open to my
home page instead of to a blank page, but it never "took," and new tabs
continue to open to blank pages. I did this about a week ago and the system
has been restarted several times, so I know that's not the issue. Anyone have
any idea what's up or what I can do?

I use Windows auto update so my system is updated to whatever is current
with Microsoft. I am using Vista Home Premium.

Don Varnau

Re: Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of blank
Hi,
These and other third-party programs can lock the IE homepage and block
changes to other IE settings. Examine the settings of
security/privacy/antispyware programs for an option to lock homepage,
prevent spyware from changing settings, etc.
Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Ad-aware Pro
Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection)
McAfee AV or Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spysweeper
Zone Alarm- free and pro.

If you don't wish to dig through settings of whichever security/privacy
programs you have installed, you could startup in Safe Mode, change the
homepage then restart. But... it's a good idea to check these settings
occasionally.
315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I changed the setting in Internet Options so that new tabs should open to

my
> home page instead of to a blank page, but it never "took," and new tabs
> continue to open to blank pages. I did this about a week ago and the

system
> has been restarted several times, so I know that's not the issue. Anyone

have
> any idea what's up or what I can do?
>
> I use Windows auto update so my system is updated to whatever is current
> with Microsoft. I am using Vista Home Premium.

Alice

Re: Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of b

Don, Thanks for having a look at my question.
I don't have any of those apps installed.

I am using AVG anti-virus, version 8, with all current updates. I did
download Spybot and Ad-Aware but haven't installed them yet since a clean
re-install of Vista that I did last week.

Before the Vista re-install I was using AVG version 7 and had no problem with
getting new tabs to open to my homepage instead of a blank page. Based on
what you said, I'm thinking maybe that is where the problem lies. At first
glance I don't see any setting where AVG is causing the homepage to lock by
default. I will try to look into that, though, or maybe roll back to version
7 to see if it resolves the issue. If it does, at least I will know the cause
of the problem. If not, I'll be b-a-a-a-a-ck.

Thanks so much.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> These and other third-party programs can lock the IE homepage and block
> changes to other IE settings. Examine the settings of
> security/privacy/antispyware programs for an option to lock homepage,
> prevent spyware from changing settings, etc.
> Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
> Spybot- Teatimer
> Ad-aware Pro
> Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection)
> McAfee AV or Antispyware
> Spyware Blaster
> Spysweeper
> Zone Alarm- free and pro.
>
> If you don't wish to dig through settings of whichever security/privacy
> programs you have installed, you could startup in Safe Mode, change the
> homepage then restart. But... it's a good idea to check these settings
> occasionally.
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I changed the setting in Internet Options so that new tabs should open to

> my
> > home page instead of to a blank page, but it never "took," and new tabs
> > continue to open to blank pages. I did this about a week ago and the

> system
> > has been restarted several times, so I know that's not the issue. Anyone

> have
> > any idea what's up or what I can do?
> >
> > I use Windows auto update so my system is updated to whatever is current
> > with Microsoft. I am using Vista Home Premium.

Alice

RE: Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of blank
OK, the problem was not in AVG but two more minutes of Googling gave me a
solution, so I came back to set it down here just in case anyone finds it
useful in the future.

If you changed the settings under Tools>Internet Options>Tabs>Settings to
enable "Open home page for new tabs instead of a blank page," but are still
getting a page of "tips and hints about tabbed browsing" page when you open a
new tab, you can try this:

Next time you get a "tips and hints" page when you open a new tab, check the
box that says "Do not show this page again" and close the page. Open a new
tab. You will get an absolutely blank page (without the tips and hints).
Close this blank page. Then open a new tab again, and this time it should
open to your home page. It worked for me, and all subsequent tabs I opened
also opened to my home page. Voila, problem solved. Let's hope it lasts.

"Alice" wrote:

> I changed the setting in Internet Options so that new tabs should open to my
> home page instead of to a blank page, but it never "took," and new tabs
> continue to open to blank pages. I did this about a week ago and the system
> has been restarted several times, so I know that's not the issue. Anyone have
> any idea what's up or what I can do?
>
> I use Windows auto update so my system is updated to whatever is current
> with Microsoft. I am using Vista Home Premium.

Don Varnau

Re: Explorer 7 - Getting new tab to open to home page instead of blank
Glad you found the solution. Thanks for posting it.