IE 6 crashes when I close a page

Alan Justice

IE 6 crashes when I close a page
I have IE 6.0 for Windows 98. I can browse from page to page fine, but if I
have to close a page (such as when clicks open new pages in another window
and they pile up) I get an error message and have to reboot my computer.

--
Alan Justice

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 6 crashes when I close a page
Would you like to tell us what the error message says?

(The exact text, please.)
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Alan Justice wrote:
> I have IE 6.0 for Windows 98. I can browse from page to page fine, but if I
> have to close a page (such as when clicks open new pages in another window
> and they pile up) I get an error message and have to reboot my computer.

Alan Justice

Re: IE 6 crashes when I close a page
Here is the error msg:
===========
Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on
might be lost.

[check box] Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer

PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM

We have created an error report that you can send to us to help us improve
MS IE..

To see what data this error report contains, click here.

[box to click to send report]
============

I sent the report many times, but MS no longer supports Windows 98. In that
report, which is mostly gibberish to me, it mentions shdocvw.dll.

I'm guessing reinstalling IE should be tried. Not sure how to do that.

--
Alan Justice

--
Alan Justice

> Would you like to tell us what the error message says?
>
> (The exact text, please.)
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Alan Justice wrote:
> > I have IE 6.0 for Windows 98. I can browse from page to page fine, but

if I
> > have to close a page (such as when clicks open new pages in another

window
> > and they pile up) I get an error message and have to reboot my computer.

md

Re: IE 6 crashes when I close a page
Seems to be a relatively common issue.

Here's a link with some suggestions culled from various help forums:
http://www.overclock.net/windows/271...tion-fix-explo...

Maybe one of the things in there will help you?
md

Re: IE 6 crashes when I close a page
The link was cut for some reason. Here it is:

http://www.overclock.net/windows/271...-exe-loop.html

Alan Justice

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The link was cut for some reason. Here it is:

http://www.overclock.net/windows/271...-exe-loop.html

That cut didn't matter, as I found the page. But I couldn't find any info.
Search for "IE 6 crash". Thanks anyway.

--
Alan Justice

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> Here is the error msg:
> ===========
> Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
> We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working
> on
> might be lost.
>
> [check box] Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer
>
> PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM
>
> We have created an error report that you can send to us to help us improve
> MS IE..
>
> To see what data this error report contains, click here.
>
> [box to click to send report]
> ============
>
> I sent the report many times, but MS no longer supports Windows 98. In
> that
> report, which is mostly gibberish to me, it mentions shdocvw.dll.
>
> I'm guessing reinstalling IE should be tried. Not sure how to do that.
>

> --
> Alan Justice
>

> --
> Alan Justice

>> Would you like to tell us what the error message says?
>>
>> (The exact text, please.)
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Alan Justice wrote:
>> > I have IE 6.0 for Windows 98. I can browse from page to page fine, but

> if I
>> > have to close a page (such as when clicks open new pages in another

> window
>> > and they pile up) I get an error message and have to reboot my
>> > computer.

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Alan Justice

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message

The error message is when I close a window.

> > Here is the error msg:
> > ===========
> > Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to

close.
> > We are sorry for the inconvenience.
> >
> > If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working
> > on
> > might be lost.
> >
> > [check box] Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer
> >
> > PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM
> >
> > We have created an error report that you can send to us to help us

improve
> > MS IE..
> >
> > To see what data this error report contains, click here.
> >
> > [box to click to send report]
> > ============
> >
> > I sent the report many times, but MS no longer supports Windows 98. In
> > that
> > report, which is mostly gibberish to me, it mentions shdocvw.dll.
> >
> > I'm guessing reinstalling IE should be tried. Not sure how to do that.
> >

> > --
> > Alan Justice
> >

> > --
> > Alan Justice
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Would you like to tell us what the error message says?
> >>
> >> (The exact text, please.)
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare Humanum Est

but
> > if I

> > window
> >> >

> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

In IE 6 (Win 98) IE is not in System Tools, so I see no place to specify No
Add-ons.

> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read

this
> article first:
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

In Advanced, RIES is not there. I did try "Restore defaults" and it still
crashes. In Start/Run, it does not have a program associated with
"inetcpl.cpl".

> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that

you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and

see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not

sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

I'll try reading through all the pages you cited above. Thanks.

> The error message is when I close a window.

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Alan Justice

Re: IE 6 crashes when I close a page
I addressed each of these suggestions in my 11/8 reply to you. Any comments
on them?