Unable to resize pop-up windows

Todd M. Foughty

Unable to resize pop-up windows
We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in the
middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is used our
users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the mapping
application to pop-up detailed drawings.

Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows, does
anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
--
Todd M. Foughty
MCP, MCDST

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows
Are the pop-ups hard-coded to open in a specifically-sized window? If not,
the usual fix should resolve the behavior but each user must do it:

Open the application | Open the pop-up window | "Grab" the opposing corners
of the window and "stretch" it to the desired size (e.g., full-screen; do
NOT maximize the window) | Close all other IE windows then close the resized
window.

The resized (not maximized) window *must* be the last window closed in order
for its size to be remembered.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Todd M. Foughty wrote:
> We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in the
> middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is used
> our
> users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the
> mapping
> application to pop-up detailed drawings.
>
> Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows, does
> anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Alan Justice

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows
Here is the error msg:
===========
Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on
might be lost.

[check box] Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer

PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM

We have created an error report that you can send to us to help us improve
MS IE..

To see what data this error report contains, click here.

[box to click to send report]
============

I sent the report many times, but MS no longer supports Windows 98. In that
report, which is mostly gibberish to me, it mentions shdocvw.dll.

I'm guessing reinstalling IE should be tried. Not sure how to do that.

--
Alan Justice

> Are the pop-ups hard-coded to open in a specifically-sized window? If

not,
> the usual fix should resolve the behavior but each user must do it:
>
> Open the application | Open the pop-up window | "Grab" the opposing

corners
> of the window and "stretch" it to the desired size (e.g., full-screen; do
> NOT maximize the window) | Close all other IE windows then close the

resized
> window.
>
> The resized (not maximized) window *must* be the last window closed in

order
> for its size to be remembered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Todd M. Foughty wrote:
> > We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in the
> > middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is used
> > our
> > users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the
> > mapping
> > application to pop-up detailed drawings.
> >
> > Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows,

does
> > anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...

Alan Justice

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows---wrong post, ignore above

--
Alan Justice

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> Here is the error msg:
> ===========
> Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
> We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working

on
> might be lost.
>
> [check box] Restart Microsoft Internet Explorer
>
> PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM
>
> We have created an error report that you can send to us to help us improve
> MS IE..
>
> To see what data this error report contains, click here.
>
> [box to click to send report]
> ============
>
> I sent the report many times, but MS no longer supports Windows 98. In

that
> report, which is mostly gibberish to me, it mentions shdocvw.dll.
>
> I'm guessing reinstalling IE should be tried. Not sure how to do that.
>

> --
> Alan Justice

> > Are the pop-ups hard-coded to open in a specifically-sized window? If

> not,
> > the usual fix should resolve the behavior but each user must do it:
> >
> > Open the application | Open the pop-up window | "Grab" the opposing

> corners
> > of the window and "stretch" it to the desired size (e.g., full-screen;

do
> > NOT maximize the window) | Close all other IE windows then close the

> resized
> > window.
> >
> > The resized (not maximized) window *must* be the last window closed in

> order
> > for its size to be remembered.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > Todd M. Foughty wrote:
> > > We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in

the
> > > middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is

used
> > > our
> > > users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the
> > > mapping
> > > application to pop-up detailed drawings.
> > >
> > > Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows,

> does
> > > anyone have any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance...

Todd M. Foughty

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows
You cannot grab the corners and the maximize button is grayed out. The
application is not set for a certain window size. One machine it works fine,
the next it does not.
--
Todd M. Foughty
MCP, MCDST

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are the pop-ups hard-coded to open in a specifically-sized window? If not,
> the usual fix should resolve the behavior but each user must do it:
>
> Open the application | Open the pop-up window | "Grab" the opposing corners
> of the window and "stretch" it to the desired size (e.g., full-screen; do
> NOT maximize the window) | Close all other IE windows then close the resized
> window.
>
> The resized (not maximized) window *must* be the last window closed in order
> for its size to be remembered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Todd M. Foughty wrote:
> > We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in the
> > middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is used
> > our
> > users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the
> > mapping
> > application to pop-up detailed drawings.
> >
> > Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows, does
> > anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...

Gary Brandenburg

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows
Try this-
Go to Internet Options & click on the Settings button by "Tabs".
Down where it has the popup settings,tick a choice other than "Let IE decide how
popups are opened". (Open in a new window or Open in a new tab)

This should allow one to resize the popup windows.

~Gary

"Todd M. Foughty" <ToddMFoughty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You cannot grab the corners and the maximize button is grayed out. The
> application is not set for a certain window size. One machine it works fine,
> the next it does not.
> --
> Todd M. Foughty
> MCP, MCDST
> City of Columbus
> Department of Technology
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are the pop-ups hard-coded to open in a specifically-sized window? If not,
>> the usual fix should resolve the behavior but each user must do it:
>>
>> Open the application | Open the pop-up window | "Grab" the opposing corners
>> of the window and "stretch" it to the desired size (e.g., full-screen; do
>> NOT maximize the window) | Close all other IE windows then close the resized
>> window.
>>
>> The resized (not maximized) window *must* be the last window closed in order
>> for its size to be remembered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Todd M. Foughty wrote:
>> > We have a mapping application that is viewed through IE. We are in the
>> > middle of deploying new computers and now when this application is used
>> > our
>> > users cannot maximize or resize pop-up windows that are used by the
>> > mapping
>> > application to pop-up detailed drawings.
>> >
>> > Some users had IE7 before and were able to resize the pop-up windows, does
>> > anyone have any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance...

Re: Unable to resize pop-up windows
What Gary said.