empty discuss toolbar IE7

Rob

empty discuss toolbar IE7
When I activate the discuss toolbar, an empty toolbar appaerce on the bottom
of the IE7 window. There is nothing in it. Any suggestions anyone?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: empty discuss toolbar IE7
"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I activate the discuss toolbar, an empty toolbar appaerce on the
> bottom
> of the IE7 window. There is nothing in it. Any suggestions anyone?

You night want to ask this in an Office newsgroup. Discuss is added to IE
by Office.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

VanguardLH

Rob wrote:

> When I activate the discuss toolbar, an empty toolbar appaerce on the bottom
> of the IE7 window. There is nothing in it. Any suggestions anyone?

View -> Explorer bar -> Discuss

When you first open this toolbar (which displays at the bottom of the
IE7 window), a panel is displayed that prompts that you must run an
ActiveX control from Microsoft (that uses owsclt.dll). Did you enable
the install of this AX control? You have to install it.

When you open IE7 with the Discuss toolbar present, a yellow infobar
should show up saying that you need to allow the AX control to run. If
you click the "X" close button in the infobar, that message goes away
and you're left with an empty pane thereafter (you don't get the yellow
infobar anymore which lets you right-click on it to run the AX control).

In Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage addons, disable the
OWSBrowserUI control (owsclt.dll), exit and reload IE7, enable the
control, exit and reload IE7, and see if you then get the infobar
prompt. If you still don't see the infobar when the Discuss
pane/toolbar tries to load, go to Internet Options -> Security tab ->
Internet security zone -> Customize -> ActiveX controls and plug-ins
section -> Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls -> Disable (default
state).

Do you actually have a discussion server to specify in the config for
this toolbar where the comments will get stored?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...701131033.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842569
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc767410.aspx

I've heard of web discussions in IE being used to discuss the HTML
coding of a web page amongst a team of web designers. I don't know what
value it has to the general populace of end users. I guess it can be
used amongst collaborators on the same Office document as long as that
document can be displayed in IE but, I believe, that is when the
collaborators are all using SharePoint services. You never mentioned
how you used it, why you used it, or that you ever did use it before.