redirect limit

BenWilder

redirect limit
Hi all ,

1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs redirect limits
in different versions ?

2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is 7.0.5730.11

Thanks
Daniel Crichton

Re: redirect limit
BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:30:02 -0800:

> Hi all ,

> 1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs redirect
> limits in different versions ?

> 2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

> This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
> network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

> It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is 7.0.5730.11

> Thanks

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402

And for older versions of IE, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

But I would suggest that you do not change this. FF's limit of 20 is already
overkill. The higher you set it, the more connections you open to a server
and the higher the potential for problems to occur (such as redirection
looping) or you might run into a server limit setting - for instance, on a
few of my own sites I run Apache with mod_cband and restrict connections to
a max of 5 per user to help stop one or two users who have fiddled with this
setting from impacting the performance for other users.

Also, 2 is the value stated in RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) in section 9.1.2, so in
this case IE7 is following the RFC and Firefox is blatantly ignoring it.
Think about what you are doing before you going changing values because you
think it will help. In many cases the difference will be minimal and in some
cases you will actually degrade the performance.

--
Dan

BenWilder

Re: redirect limit
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your response. I understand the complications that would
arrise by altering the settings. I am doing this as more of an investigation.

My scenario is trouble shooting some online Ad serving scenarios. What i am
experiencing is a long chain of redirects to deliver an Ad.

so you make a request, and this callsa number of ad servers that redirect
through a long chain.. presumably so that the user is "cookied" by all the
diferent vendors, and then ends up on the destination ad (finally)..

This works in Firefox as it takes a total of 11 302 redirects to get to the
ad, by in IE it stops at 10 and therefore you never see the ad..

I have attempted changing the settings you sent me to, but to no avail. The
settings appear to be related to the number of simultaneous connections to a
single server, not the number of redirects the browser will honour..

i would very much appreciate your thoughts!

Many thanks

Ben

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:30:02 -0800:
>
> > Hi all ,

> > 1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs redirect
> > limits in different versions ?

> > 2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

> > This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
> > network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

> > It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is 7.0.5730.11

> > Thanks

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402
>
> And for older versions of IE, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110
>
> But I would suggest that you do not change this. FF's limit of 20 is already
> overkill. The higher you set it, the more connections you open to a server
> and the higher the potential for problems to occur (such as redirection
> looping) or you might run into a server limit setting - for instance, on a
> few of my own sites I run Apache with mod_cband and restrict connections to
> a max of 5 per user to help stop one or two users who have fiddled with this
> setting from impacting the performance for other users.
>
> Also, 2 is the value stated in RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) in section 9.1.2, so in
> this case IE7 is following the RFC and Firefox is blatantly ignoring it.
> Think about what you are doing before you going changing values because you
> think it will help. In many cases the difference will be minimal and in some
> cases you will actually degrade the performance.
>
> --
> Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: redirect limit
See, for me not seeing the ad would be huge benefit

That amount of redirection is just ridiculous. There should rarely be a need
for more than 1 hop in a redirect, and the most I'd ever use on a site would
be 2 and that would only be if I had little choice.

I don't know what to suggest. I don't remember ever having seen a way of
changing the default value in IE for this, and it's possible that it's not
user configurable.

Dan

BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 05:34:07 -0800:

> Hi Dan,

> Many thanks for your response. I understand the complications that
> would arrise by altering the settings. I am doing this as more of an
> investigation.

> My scenario is trouble shooting some online Ad serving scenarios. What
> i am experiencing is a long chain of redirects to deliver an Ad.

> so you make a request, and this callsa number of ad servers that
> redirect through a long chain.. presumably so that the user is
> "cookied" by all the diferent vendors, and then ends up on the
> destination ad (finally)..

> This works in Firefox as it takes a total of 11 302 redirects to get to
> the ad, by in IE it stops at 10 and therefore you never see the ad..

> I have attempted changing the settings you sent me to, but to no avail.
> The settings appear to be related to the number of simultaneous
> connections to a single server, not the number of redirects the
> browser will honour..

> i would very much appreciate your thoughts!

> Many thanks

> Ben

> "Daniel Crichton" wrote:

>> BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:30:02 -0800:

>>> Hi all ,

>>> 1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs
>>> redirect limits in different versions ?

>>> 2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

>>> This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
>>> network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

>>> It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is
>>> 7.0.5730.11

>>> Thanks

>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402

>> And for older versions of IE, here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

>> But I would suggest that you do not change this. FF's limit of 20 is
>> already overkill. The higher you set it, the more connections you
>> open to a server and the higher the potential for problems to occur
>> (such as redirection looping) or you might run into a server limit
>> setting - for instance, on a few of my own sites I run Apache with
>> mod_cband and restrict connections to a max of 5 per user to help
>> stop one or two users who have fiddled with this setting from
>> impacting the performance for other users.

>> Also, 2 is the value stated in RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) in section 9.1.2,
>> so in this case IE7 is following the RFC and Firefox is blatantly
>> ignoring it.
>> Think about what you are doing before you going changing values
>> because you think it will help. In many cases the difference will be
>> minimal and in some cases you will actually degrade the performance.

>> --
>> Dan

BenWilder

Re: redirect limit
I completely understand

Thanks for your time anyway Dan!

Ben

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> See, for me not seeing the ad would be huge benefit
>
> That amount of redirection is just ridiculous. There should rarely be a need
> for more than 1 hop in a redirect, and the most I'd ever use on a site would
> be 2 and that would only be if I had little choice.
>
> I don't know what to suggest. I don't remember ever having seen a way of
> changing the default value in IE for this, and it's possible that it's not
> user configurable.
>
> Dan
>
> BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 05:34:07 -0800:
>
> > Hi Dan,

> > Many thanks for your response. I understand the complications that
> > would arrise by altering the settings. I am doing this as more of an
> > investigation.

> > My scenario is trouble shooting some online Ad serving scenarios. What
> > i am experiencing is a long chain of redirects to deliver an Ad.

> > so you make a request, and this callsa number of ad servers that
> > redirect through a long chain.. presumably so that the user is
> > "cookied" by all the diferent vendors, and then ends up on the
> > destination ad (finally)..

> > This works in Firefox as it takes a total of 11 302 redirects to get to
> > the ad, by in IE it stops at 10 and therefore you never see the ad..

> > I have attempted changing the settings you sent me to, but to no avail.
> > The settings appear to be related to the number of simultaneous
> > connections to a single server, not the number of redirects the
> > browser will honour..

> > i would very much appreciate your thoughts!

> > Many thanks

> > Ben

> >> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402

> >> And for older versions of IE, here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

> >> But I would suggest that you do not change this. FF's limit of 20 is
> >> already overkill. The higher you set it, the more connections you
> >> open to a server and the higher the potential for problems to occur
> >> (such as redirection looping) or you might run into a server limit
> >> setting - for instance, on a few of my own sites I run Apache with
> >> mod_cband and restrict connections to a max of 5 per user to help
> >> stop one or two users who have fiddled with this setting from
> >> impacting the performance for other users.

> >> Also, 2 is the value stated in RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) in section 9.1.2,
> >> so in this case IE7 is following the RFC and Firefox is blatantly
> >> ignoring it.
> >> Think about what you are doing before you going changing values
> >> because you think it will help. In many cases the difference will be
> >> minimal and in some cases you will actually degrade the performance.

> >> --
> >> Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: redirect limit

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote in message news:%23F3dJc1PJHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> See, for me not seeing the ad would be huge benefit
>
> That amount of redirection is just ridiculous. There should rarely be a need
> for more than 1 hop in a redirect, and the most I'd ever use on a site would
> be 2 and that would only be if I had little choice.
>
> I don't know what to suggest. I don't remember ever having seen a way of
> changing the default value in IE for this, and

> it's possible that it's not user configurable.

My guess would be that instead of something being implemented
like that that it could just be something controlled by general timeouts.
However, I thought that the real timeout value that IE worked under
for rendering was something ridiculous like 5 minutes. There seem
to be more obscure and undocumented timeouts related to DNS lookups
and that's where I would place my bet. ; )

To test this idea we could use netcap + Ethereal (e.g. to observe
timing on DNS lookups). Also, we could put the lookups into HOSTS
to reduce the time required for those lookups as much as possible.

A less complete diagnostic would be to capture whatever Fiddler2
shows for all these redirections. Fiddler has timing info too,
so it would be better than nothing.

I'd personally be curious to see the trace of this 11 step chain of redirections
with their timings. However, I think there would be more convincing proof
of a limit of 10 if a 12 step chain was failing at 10...

; )

Robert
---

> Dan
>
> BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 05:34:07 -0800:
>
>> Hi Dan,

>> Many thanks for your response. I understand the complications that
>> would arrise by altering the settings. I am doing this as more of an
>> investigation.

>> My scenario is trouble shooting some online Ad serving scenarios. What
>> i am experiencing is a long chain of redirects to deliver an Ad.

>> so you make a request, and this callsa number of ad servers that
>> redirect through a long chain.. presumably so that the user is
>> "cookied" by all the diferent vendors, and then ends up on the
>> destination ad (finally)..

>> This works in Firefox as it takes a total of 11 302 redirects to get to
>> the ad, by in IE it stops at 10 and therefore you never see the ad..

>> I have attempted changing the settings you sent me to, but to no avail.
>> The settings appear to be related to the number of simultaneous
>> connections to a single server, not the number of redirects the
>> browser will honour..

>> i would very much appreciate your thoughts!

>> Many thanks

>> Ben

Venkat Lashkar

redirect limit
Hi BenWilde,
Are you able to solve the problem of redirect limit, even I am facing the same issue with IE 8 where in my application I have 14 redirects where IE8 stops processing after 10.

Thanks,
Venkat

BenWilde wrote:

Re: redirect limit
05-Nov-08

I completely understand

Thanks for your time anyway Dan!

Ben

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:30 AM
BenWilde wrote:

redirect limit
Hi all ,

1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs redirect limits
in different versions ?

2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is 7.0.5730.11

Thanks

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:02 AM
Daniel Crichton wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:34 AM
BenWilde wrote:

[...]

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:58 AM
Daniel Crichton wrote:

Re: redirect limit
See, for me not seeing the ad would be huge benefit

That amount of redirection is just ridiculous. There should rarely be a need
for more than 1 hop in a redirect, and the most I'd ever use on a site would
be 2 and that would only be if I had little choice.

I don't know what to suggest. I don't remember ever having seen a way of
changing the default value in IE for this, and it's possible that it's not
user configurable.

Dan

BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 05:34:07 -0800:

>> BenWilder wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:30:02 -0800:

>>> Hi all ,

>>> 1. Can someone point me to the documentation that covers IEs
>>> redirect limits in different versions ?

>>> 2. Can someone let me know how i can change the defaults?

>>> This behaviour can be changed easily in firefox with the
>>> network.http.redirection-limit prefernce (default 20)

>>> It appears in my IE to be limited to 10. My IE version is
>>> 7.0.5730.11

>>> Thanks

>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402

>> And for older versions of IE, here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

>> But I would suggest that you do not change this. FF's limit of 20 is
>> already overkill. The higher you set it, the more connections you
>> open to a server and the higher the potential for problems to occur
>> (such as redirection looping) or you might run into a server limit
>> setting - for instance, on a few of my own sites I run Apache with
>> mod_cband and restrict connections to a max of 5 per user to help
>> stop one or two users who have fiddled with this setting from
>> impacting the performance for other users.

>> Also, 2 is the value stated in RFC 2068 (HTTP 1.1) in section 9.1.2,
>> so in this case IE7 is following the RFC and Firefox is blatantly
>> ignoring it.
>> Think about what you are doing before you going changing values
>> because you think it will help. In many cases the difference will be
>> minimal and in some cases you will actually degrade the performance.

>> --
>> Dan

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:08 AM
BenWilde wrote:

Re: redirect limit
I completely understand

Thanks for your time anyway Dan!

[...]