IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed

CincySteve

IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed
Hi there -

I had used IE 7 for several months, and regularly used the history feature.
Ever since we installed Exchange -- if I click on "View History" in IE, the
history is completely blank. The back button works fine in IE.

The number of days to record is set to 20 days, and the folder location
appears to be exactly what I'd expect it to be. Any thoughts?

I run IE 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Ultimate 6.0

Re: IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed
In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

CincySteve wrote:
> Hi there -
>
> I had used IE 7 for several months, and regularly used the history
> feature.
> Ever since we installed Exchange -- if I click on "View History" in IE,
> the
> history is completely blank. The back button works fine in IE.
>
> The number of days to record is set to 20 days, and the folder location
> appears to be exactly what I'd expect it to be. Any thoughts?
>
> I run IE 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Ultimate 6.0

Robert Aldwinckle

"CincySteve" <CincySteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21F6D3A0-48E6-4688-A98C-618806F7EBB9@microsoft.com...
> Hi there -
>
> I had used IE 7 for several months, and regularly used the history feature.
> Ever since we installed Exchange -- if I click on "View History" in IE, the
> history is completely blank.

> The back button works fine in IE.

That's something different. The closest thing related to both
would be the History's View By Order Visited Today.

More relevant to know is what you see if you Run... (e.g. press Win-R
and enter

shell:History

Other Vista users have discovered that the desktop.ini file
involved with the display of that special folder can be corrupted
and also that the registry values associated with it may be misdirected.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> The number of days to record is set to 20 days, and the folder location
> appears to be exactly what I'd expect it to be. Any thoughts?
>
> I run IE 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Ultimate 6.0

CincySteve

Re: IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed
If I run shell:History I see that "This folder is empty."

"CincySteve" <CincySteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB77ACA9-BA88-4E17-9FCF-A89C9F5AC759@microsoft.com...
> If I run shell:History I see that "This folder is empty."

Then, as I mentioned, I would suspect that you don't have
the desktop.ini file in that directory. You would have to be viewing
hidden files to see it though if it is there. Otherwise, as I also
mentioned, it could be that there is a desktop.ini file there but
it doesn't have any content or the wrong content.

To test this further you could copy that path from the Explorer
window's Address bar (Alt-d,Ctrl-c), then switch to a Notepad window
and open desktop.ini in that directory (e.g. press Ctrl-o, Ctrl-v,
type (to append) \desktop.ini and then Enter.)
What happens if you try that?

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "CincySteve" <CincySteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21F6D3A0-48E6-4688-A98C-618806F7EBB9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi there -
>> >
>> > I had used IE 7 for several months, and regularly used the history feature.
>> > Ever since we installed Exchange -- if I click on "View History" in IE, the
>> > history is completely blank.

>> > The back button works fine in IE.

>> That's something different. The closest thing related to both
>> would be the History's View By Order Visited Today.
>>
>> More relevant to know is what you see if you Run... (e.g. press Win-R
>> and enter
>>
>> shell:History
>>
>> Other Vista users have discovered that the desktop.ini file
>> involved with the display of that special folder can be corrupted
>> and also that the registry values associated with it may be misdirected.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>> > The number of days to record is set to 20 days, and the folder location
>> > appears to be exactly what I'd expect it to be. Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > I run IE 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Ultimate 6.0

Lynne M Bailey

Re: IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed
I have IE7; Vista Home premium sp1 64-bit and my history files will not
display either. however, when I run shell:history there is data there. How
can I fix this?

"Lynne M Bailey" <LynneMBailey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have IE7; Vista Home premium sp1 64-bit and my history files will not
> display either. however, when I run shell:history there is data there. How
> can I fix this?

See my second response to the OP?

What's in your desktop.ini?

---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "CincySteve" <CincySteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21F6D3A0-48E6-4688-A98C-618806F7EBB9@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi there -
>> >
>> > I had used IE 7 for several months, and regularly used the history feature.
>> > Ever since we installed Exchange -- if I click on "View History" in IE, the
>> > history is completely blank.

>> > The back button works fine in IE.

>> That's something different. The closest thing related to both
>> would be the History's View By Order Visited Today.
>>
>> More relevant to know is what you see if you Run... (e.g. press Win-R
>> and enter
>>
>> shell:History
>>
>> Other Vista users have discovered that the desktop.ini file
>> involved with the display of that special folder can be corrupted
>> and also that the registry values associated with it may be misdirected.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>> > The number of days to record is set to 20 days, and the folder location
>> > appears to be exactly what I'd expect it to be. Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > I run IE 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Ultimate 6.0

Lynne M Bailey

Re: IE 7 History stopped working when MS Exchange was installed
Hello Robert,

I did the reset, the scannow and I attempted to read the desktop.ini file in
the history folder and the *.dat file with notepad but somehow I, the only
user and administrator, don't have access to do this. In fact, in order to
read the contents of the cbs.log file I had to invoke the cmd: prompt,
navigate to that file and only then was i able to read (type) the file. I did
this because after scanning I was informed that certain errors could not be
fixed and I could find that information in the log. Via normal window
navigating, though, I was also accessed permission. Even in command mode I
could not access information in the *.ini or *.dat files in the history
folder I found after running the shell:history command. In fact, I couldn't
even navigate into the app settings from Windows.

I also have 2 versions of IE installed on my computer .. a 32-bit AND a
64-bit, neither of which is available for removing via the control panel. One
thought I had was to remove theses and reinstall one of them to see if that
fixed the problem. I don't recall when the problem started (because I didn't
look), but I have a feeling it's been there all along - I don't recall that
it ever worked on this system.

I am loathe to do a system restore for many reasons (unless perhaps, as in
systems of old, it merely overwrites bad files and keeps everything else
intact).

Any other suggessions before I start using another browser exclusively?

ps I have screenshots of some of the above if it's possible to upload them
anywhere.