Need help with my IE 7.x and Sun Java not running forsome reason

michael wexin

Need help with my IE 7.x and Sun Java not running forsome reason
I am running Sun Java (version 6 build 7) with Windows Vista SP1 and Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

For some reason, I cannot (from within the Control Panel / Java / Advanced / Default Java for Browsers)add Microsoft Inetrnet Explorer. When I try to choose it and then click APPLY or OKAY, I get the following error:

"Unable to change browser setting. Please check if you have sufficient permission to change system settings".

Here is a link to the actual screen capture of this:

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=javaoz9.jpg

Although my IE tells me that I have JRE running (under IE / Tools / Internet Options / Advanced), I cannot bring up the Java console, nor can I get a verification that my JAVA is actually running.

When I go to the two following sites:

http://www.javatester.org/version.html
or
http://www.java.com

I am told that my JAVA is not installed.

When I check my IE / Tools / Manage Add-ons, I see that my Sun Java Console (ssv.dll) and SSVHelper (ssv.dll) are Enabled.

I am the only user on this machine, and can't imagine what is blocking my access to correctly have this run.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Don Varnau

Re: Need help with my IE 7.x and Sun Java not running for some reason
Hi,
An antispyware or other security program may be "protecting" Internet
Explorer settings.

First try making the "Default Java" change from Safe Mode.
Start Vista in Safe Mode
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
or
http://snipr.com/vistasafe
- - -
Then look through security programs for a setting like "Protect against
changes made by spyware"
These *and other* programs can block changes to IE settings:
Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Ad-aware Pro
Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection)
McAfee AV or Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spysweeper
Zone Alarm- free and pro.
- - -
A firewall or other security program may be preventing websites from
accessing Java on your computer. Try disabling any firewall or security
suite to see if that's the problem.
- - -
Next, I would uninstall Java then re-download and reinstall the latest
version.
http://www.java.com/en/download/

It may be helpful to disable antivirus/antispyware programs during the
installation.
- -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

<michael wexin> wrote in message news:2008114231219mystiky@hotmail.com...
> I am running Sun Java (version 6 build 7) with Windows Vista SP1 and

Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

> For some reason, I cannot (from within the Control Panel / Java / Advanced

/ Default Java for Browsers)add Microsoft Inetrnet Explorer. When I try to
choose it and then click APPLY or OKAY, I get the following error:

> "Unable to change browser setting. Please check if you have sufficient

permission to change system settings".

> Here is a link to the actual screen capture of this:
>
> http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=javaoz9.jpg
>
> Although my IE tells me that I have JRE running (under IE / Tools /

Internet Options / Advanced), I cannot bring up the Java console, nor can I
get a verification that my JAVA is actually running.

> When I go to the two following sites:
>
> http://www.javatester.org/version.html
> or
> http://www.java.com
>
> I am told that my JAVA is not installed.
>
> When I check my IE / Tools / Manage Add-ons, I see that my Sun Java

Console (ssv.dll) and SSVHelper (ssv.dll) are Enabled.

> I am the only user on this machine, and can't imagine what is blocking my

access to correctly have this run.

> Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Michael Wexin

Re: Need help with my IE 7.x and Sun Java not running for some rea
You are right! When I start in SAFE MODE, everything works like a charm.

The only program I am running is Kasperksy KAV 2009 v8.0.0.854. I have
been running it for 5 months now, and never had problems until about a month
ago.

The firewall I use is the one that comes within Vista SP1. And I am using
UAC.

When I went to disable Kaspersky, I still had the same problem. Perhaps
the problem with this "blockage" that some .DLL gets loaded in during the
boot process of Vista. I have ran my virus scan and registry checker, and it
all came back okay.

Still trying to figure this out...

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> [...]

> > Here is a link to the actual screen capture of this:
> >
> > http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=javaoz9.jpg
> >
> > Although my IE tells me that I have JRE running (under IE / Tools /

> Internet Options / Advanced), I cannot bring up the Java console, nor can I
> get a verification that my JAVA is actually running.
> >
> > When I go to the two following sites:
> >
> > http://www.javatester.org/version.html
> > or
> > http://www.java.com
> >
> > I am told that my JAVA is not installed.
> >
> > When I check my IE / Tools / Manage Add-ons, I see that my Sun Java

> Console (ssv.dll) and SSVHelper (ssv.dll) are Enabled.
> >
> > I am the only user on this machine, and can't imagine what is blocking my

> access to correctly have this run.
> >
> > Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Don Varnau

Re: Need help with my IE 7.x and Sun Java not running for some rea
Did this setting stick after you left Safe Mode / restarted normally?

(Control Panel / Java / Advanced / Default Java for Browsers) add Microsoft
Internet Explorer
- - -
It can be difficult to completely disable some security programs. If there's
an option in KAV to not start the program automatically, use it.

The other option is to run msconfig (Start> Run> msconfig) Startup tab,
uncheck entries related to KAV then restart.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]