IE 7 Causing Reboot

Proteus

IE 7 Causing Reboot
IE 7 seems to be causing a reboot of my computer - this is NOT a hang, error
or crash - the computer simply goes to reboot without any error message
displayed.

This problem only happens when using Internet Explorer (usually when the
page displays a video, like YouTube).

Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
SYSTEM crash (i.e. not Hard Drive crash). I use a 160Gb HD with 4 virtual
drives. C: is the (virtual) system drive. No problems encountered during
Windows re-install. Most other programs (usually on another virtual drive)
had to be wiped and re-installed since most reference the register on C:. No
problems doing this, other programs working OK. Tried installing Flash 10 as
Flash 9 may have been causing problems previously (before system crash).

Problem occures often enough to be a real hassle. Any suggestions? I'd
really hate to start all over again, as it takes up to several weeks to
completly rebuild my system and programs.

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot
> Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
> SYSTEM crash

=> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup.

=> Did you format & reinstall WinXP or did you do a Repair Install?

=> Is the machine currently fully patched at Windows Update? Go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM & scan | If any critical
security updates are offered, install them. If a Root Certificates update
is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

=> Did this crashing occur *before* you installed IE7?

=> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed IE7 and/or any WinXP Service Packs?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Proteus wrote:
> IE 7 seems to be causing a reboot of my computer - this is NOT a hang,
> error
> or crash - the computer simply goes to reboot without any error message
> displayed.
>
> This problem only happens when using Internet Explorer (usually when the
> page displays a video, like YouTube).
>
> Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
> SYSTEM crash (i.e. not Hard Drive crash). I use a 160Gb HD with 4 virtual
> drives. C: is the (virtual) system drive. No problems encountered during
> Windows re-install. Most other programs (usually on another virtual drive)
> had to be wiped and re-installed since most reference the register on C:.
> No
> problems doing this, other programs working OK. Tried installing Flash 10
> as
> Flash 9 may have been causing problems previously (before system crash).
>
> Problem occures often enough to be a real hassle. Any suggestions? I'd
> really hate to start all over again, as it takes up to several weeks to
> completly rebuild my system and programs.

Proteus

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot
1. Windows XP Home SP3, IE7, Windows Media 11 (same before and after crash)
2. Format C: & reinstall Windows. Repair failed completly.
3. Windows XP has been fully patched via auto update. Firewall is running,
but instructed to allow microsoft/windows updates. All security updates
installed (one autoinstalled just a few hours ago). Root Certificate Update
done.
4. No, I had installed IE7 quite sometime ago, right after official release.
Had been working faultlessly. Crash was quite sudden and unexpected (not to
mention instantly fatal).
5. Using McAfee Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam and Firewall. Also have been using
McAfee products for years without problems. Subscriptions are current.
Anti-spyware is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Latest version (1.6). Also in use
for several years with no problems. All Anti-* software was probably running
in the background since Windows stuff is Auto-Update, and does its thing at
3AM.
6. Didn't know about running IE7 in No AddOn Mode. Will give that a try when
I finish here.
7. Have not tried resetting IE7 Advanced Settings. Will read first, then
give it a try, too.

NOTE: I just reinstalled SpyBot S&D (1.6). Refuses to download/install most
recent updates without checksum errors. Has also caused reboot when
attempting to 'immunize'. Happened several times. Will not scan without
updates. Problem seems to be getting worse.

Thanks for the help. I'll give these two items a try and get back to you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
> > SYSTEM crash

> => Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> => Did you format & reinstall WinXP or did you do a Repair Install?
>
> => Is the machine currently fully patched at Windows Update? Go to
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM & scan | If any critical
> security updates are offered, install them. If a Root Certificates update
> is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
> advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> => Did this crashing occur *before* you installed IE7?
>
> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7 and/or any WinXP Service Packs?
>
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Proteus wrote:
> > IE 7 seems to be causing a reboot of my computer - this is NOT a hang,
> > error
> > or crash - the computer simply goes to reboot without any error message
> > displayed.
> >
> > This problem only happens when using Internet Explorer (usually when the
> > page displays a video, like YouTube).
> >
> > Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
> > SYSTEM crash (i.e. not Hard Drive crash). I use a 160Gb HD with 4 virtual
> > drives. C: is the (virtual) system drive. No problems encountered during
> > Windows re-install. Most other programs (usually on another virtual drive)
> > had to be wiped and re-installed since most reference the register on C:.
> > No
> > problems doing this, other programs working OK. Tried installing Flash 10
> > as
> > Flash 9 may have been causing problems previously (before system crash).
> >
> > Problem occures often enough to be a real hassle. Any suggestions? I'd
> > really hate to start all over again, as it takes up to several weeks to
> > completly rebuild my system and programs.

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot
Sounds like you might have a hijackware infection on your hands, Proteus.

Proteus wrote:
> [...]

>>> SYSTEM crash (i.e. not Hard Drive crash). I use a 160Gb HD with 4
>>> virtual
>>> drives. C: is the (virtual) system drive. No problems encountered during
>>> Windows re-install. Most other programs (usually on another virtual
>>> drive)
>>> had to be wiped and re-installed since most reference the register on
>>> C:.
>>> No
>>> problems doing this, other programs working OK. Tried installing Flash
>>> 10
>>> as
>>> Flash 9 may have been causing problems previously (before system crash).
>>>
>>> Problem occures often enough to be a real hassle. Any suggestions? I'd
>>> really hate to start all over again, as it takes up to several weeks to
>>> completly rebuild my system and programs.

Hijackware is a possibility. What do I do about that, other than SpyBot S&D?

I did try running IE7 [NoAddons]. While it did work without rebooting the
computer, Its not a very good method of troubleshooting since IE is so
dependent now on these addons to operate properly. Webpage videos won't even
display without the Flash AddOn.

I tried the next step (Reset Internet Explorer Settings), and disabled all
addons except the Flash. Seemed to work OK, as I used it for about an hour
without problems. Then started adding on the addons one at a time (or groups
as the case may be), starting with the addons like McAfee that usually work.
No matter which addons, any combination would cause a computer reboot sooner
or later. I even had one about a half hour ago, and wasen't even running IE
at the time - only Outlook Express was running.

Perhaps this problem is deeper in the system, and IE just aggrivates the
problem. Should I try the 'Repair' function? This problem is so disappointing
as WinXP and IE7 have been so stable for the last several years.

Color me ANXIOUS

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Sounds like you might have a hijackware infection on your hands, Proteus.
>
> Proteus wrote:
> > 1. Windows XP Home SP3, IE7, Windows Media 11 (same before and after
> > crash)
> > 2. Format C: & reinstall Windows. Repair failed completly.
> > 3. Windows XP has been fully patched via auto update. Firewall is running,
> > but instructed to allow microsoft/windows updates. All security updates
> > installed (one autoinstalled just a few hours ago). Root Certificate
> > Update
> > done.
> > 4. No, I had installed IE7 quite sometime ago, right after official
> > release.
> > Had been working faultlessly. Crash was quite sudden and unexpected (not
> > mention instantly fatal).
> > 5. Using McAfee Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam and Firewall. Also have been using
> > McAfee products for years without problems. Subscriptions are current.
> > Anti-spyware is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Latest version (1.6). Also in use
> > for several years with no problems. All Anti-* software was probably
> > running
> > in the background since Windows stuff is Auto-Update, and does its thing
> > at
> > 3AM.
> > 6. Didn't know about running IE7 in No AddOn Mode. Will give that a try
> > when
> > I finish here.
> > 7. Have not tried resetting IE7 Advanced Settings. Will read first, then
> > give it a try, too.
> >
> > NOTE: I just reinstalled SpyBot S&D (1.6). Refuses to download/install
> > most
> > recent updates without checksum errors. Has also caused reboot when
> > attempting to 'immunize'. Happened several times. Will not scan without
> > updates. Problem seems to be getting worse.
> >
> > Thanks for the help. I'll give these two items a try and get back to you.

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Not everyone here is accessing
this newsgroup via the web-interface you're using. Thank you.]

The fact that you'd been running IE7 for quite some time and that you did
not disable all real-time protections (i.e., VirusScan; any Spybot
Residents; Defender) and/or disable the McAfee Firewall and then enable the
Windows Firewall before you installed WinXP SP3 may be the cause of your
current problem.

> Hijackware is a possibility. What do I do about that, other than SpyBot
> S&D?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

~PA Bear

Proteus wrote:
> [...]
>>> for several years with no problems. All Anti-* software was probably
>>> running
>>> in the background since Windows stuff is Auto-Update, and does its thing
>>> at
>>> 3AM.
>>> 6. Didn't know about running IE7 in No AddOn Mode. Will give that a try
>>> when
>>> I finish here.
>>> 7. Have not tried resetting IE7 Advanced Settings. Will read first, then
>>> give it a try, too.
>>>
>>> NOTE: I just reinstalled SpyBot S&D (1.6). Refuses to download/install
>>> most
>>> recent updates without checksum errors. Has also caused reboot when
>>> attempting to 'immunize'. Happened several times. Will not scan without
>>> updates. Problem seems to be getting worse.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help. I'll give these two items a try and get back to

<paste>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
>>> SYSTEM crash

>> => Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)
>> when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> => Did you format & reinstall WinXP or did you do a Repair Install?
>>
>> => Is the machine currently fully patched at Windows Update? Go to
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM & scan | If any
>> critical
>> security updates are offered, install them. If a Root Certificates
>> update
>> is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
>> advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>>
>> => Did this crashing occur before you installed IE7?
>>
>> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> applications running in the background when you installed IE7 and/or any
>> WinXP Service Packs?
>>
>> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or
>>
>> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> Explorer
>> (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Proteus wrote:
>>> IE 7 seems to be causing a reboot of my computer - this is NOT a hang,
>>> error
>>> or crash - the computer simply goes to reboot without any error message
>>> displayed.
>>>
>>> This problem only happens when using Internet Explorer (usually when the
>>> page displays a video, like YouTube).
>>>
>>> Problem began after having to completly re-install Windows XP Home after
>>> SYSTEM crash (i.e. not Hard Drive crash). I use a 160Gb HD with 4
>>> virtual
>>> drives. C: is the (virtual) system drive. No problems encountered during
>>> Windows re-install. Most other programs (usually on another virtual
>>> drive)
>>> had to be wiped and re-installed since most reference the register on
>>> C:.
>>> No
>>> problems doing this, other programs working OK. Tried installing Flash
>>> 10
>>> as
>>> Flash 9 may have been causing problems previously (before system crash).
>>>
>>> Problem occures often enough to be a real hassle. Any suggestions? I'd
>>> really hate to start all over again, as it takes up to several weeks to
>>> completly rebuild my system and programs.

Proteus

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot
If I am reading you correctly, your advise would be to remove (Control
Panel/Add Remove Programs) Win XP SP3, Win Media Player 11 and Media Format
11 Runtime, and Win IE7 (remove last upgrade first, this would be the correct
order).
THEN
Disable 3rd party Firewall, Virus Protection, etc
THEN reinstall all the above programs previously removed.
Finally, enable Firewall, Virus stuff, etc

I'm double checking to be sure I will be doing this right.
NOTE: SpyBot S&D is also causing a reboot problem. Usually during the
immunization process, but lately starting a scan and even just starting the
program. I have neither been able to immunize or scan. I will remove SpyBot
from the system until I get this problem solved.
NOTE2: HiJackThis found one suspecious entry. A command to start/install a
program called 'nwiz.exe' located in a non-existant folder
C:\Programs\NewDotNet. Removed the registry entry with HiJackThis, but it did
not solve the problem with SpyBot. I have not tested with IE7 yet, other than
to say that it has been stable so far in this session.

Sorry about removing previous stuff from posts. It was getting a little
long. Won't do that again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE7 and/or any
> >> WinXP Service Packs?
> >>
> >> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer
> >> (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

Note that I commented the the environment in which SP3 was installed *may*
be the cause of your problem, I didn't say that it *was* the cause.

Given the worrisome Spybot behavior, let alone the IE7 crashes, I'd strongly
encourage you to pursue the hijackware angle first, Proteus.

If and when it might come to uninstalling/reinstalling SP3 and/or IE7 in
hopes that it might correct the problem, post back to this thread for
further instructions, please.

A format & reinstall would most definitely fix it; a Repair Install would
not help.

Proteus wrote:
> [...]

>>> all
>>> addons except the Flash. Seemed to work OK, as I used it for about an
>>> hour
>>> without problems. Then started adding on the addons one at a time (or
>>> groups
>>> as the case may be), starting with the addons like McAfee that usually
>>> work.
>>> No matter which addons, any combination would cause a computer reboot
>>> sooner
>>> or later. I even had one about a half hour ago, and wasen't even running
>>> IE
>>> at the time - only Outlook Express was running.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this problem is deeper in the system, and IE just aggrivates the
>>> problem. Should I try the 'Repair' function? This problem is so
>>> disappointing as WinXP and IE7 have been so stable for the last several

I did, indeed, notice the *may*, but I keep it in mind while trying other
options. So far, the system has been stable over the past several hours, but
I haven't tried to run any YouTube videos yet either. I tried to make it very
plain that IE7 was not crashing - my computer reboots like I did a Start/Turn
Off Computer/Restart. It just goes "click - reboot" - no warning, error
message or blue screen. This happens [mostly] while surfing to a page that
contains a Flash video, but is incosistent about when this happens. Games
don't seem to be causing any problems, at least not yet.

I did remove the nwiz.exe registry entry with HiJackThis. Any idea what this
is? I still have to remove SpyBot S&D. Keep in touch, and I'll write back
before I try uninstalling the windows programs.

Thanx for the help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> >> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> >> (in conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> >> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> >> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> >> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair

Donald Anadell

Re: IE 7 Causing Reboot

"Proteus" <Proteus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did, indeed, notice the *may*, but I keep it in mind while trying other
> options. So far, the system has been stable over the past several hours,
> but
> I haven't tried to run any YouTube videos yet either. I tried to make it
> very
> plain that IE7 was not crashing - my computer reboots like I did a
> Start/Turn
> Off Computer/Restart. It just goes "click - reboot" - no warning, error
> message or blue screen. This happens [mostly] while surfing to a page that
> contains a Flash video, but is incosistent about when this happens. Games
> don't seem to be causing any problems, at least not yet.

Any corresponding information in the Event Viewer when these reboots occur?

You mentioned in an earlier post that you Formatted C: drive and reinstalled
Windows, did you update your Video Card drivers to the latest version after
the reinstall?

> I did remove the nwiz.exe registry entry with HiJackThis. Any idea what
> this
> is? I still have to remove SpyBot S&D. Keep in touch, and I'll write back
> before I try uninstalling the windows programs.

Information on nwia.exe.
http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.c....php?File=Nwiz
http://winhlp.com/node/188

Good luck,