IE7 on XP SP3 stops responding since 10/15/08 security update

cyndiwise notsowise

IE7 on XP SP3 stops responding since 10/15/08 security update
I am using Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP, SP3. I have installed all
available security updates for Windows XP and IE7. I have always used IE7 by
opening multiple windows, rather than multiple tabs and this has always
worked just fine for me.

But it seems that ever since the 10/15/08 IE7 security update was installed,
I have been having lots of problems with IE7 freezing/hanging/locking up/not
responding in one of the windows that is open. When I check Task Manager, it
shows IE7 is 'Not Responding'. I then have to click on 'End Task' to get IE7
to close. Most of the time, this will close all open windows of IE7, which is
of course very inconvenient.

This problem is worsening - it is happening every time I use IE7, but only
after I have been using it for several hours. I am doing a lot of online
research lately so every day I use IE7 and open several windows, which I
leave open for several hours while I go back and forth between them.

Is there any kind of diagnostics I could run to see what the problem is?

Thanks,
Cyndi
Kayman

Re: IE7 on XP SP3 stops responding since 10/15/08 security update
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 03:18:06 -0800, cyndiwise notsowise wrote:

> I am using Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP, SP3. I have installed all
> available security updates for Windows XP and IE7. I have always used IE7 by
> opening multiple windows, rather than multiple tabs and this has always
> worked just fine for me.
>
> But it seems that ever since the 10/15/08 IE7 security update was installed,
> I have been having lots of problems with IE7 freezing/hanging/locking up/not
> responding in one of the windows that is open. When I check Task Manager, it
> shows IE7 is 'Not Responding'. I then have to click on 'End Task' to get IE7
> to close. Most of the time, this will close all open windows of IE7, which is
> of course very inconvenient.
>
> This problem is worsening - it is happening every time I use IE7, but only
> after I have been using it for several hours. I am doing a lot of online
> research lately so every day I use IE7 and open several windows, which I
> leave open for several hours while I go back and forth between them.
>
> Is there any kind of diagnostics I could run to see what the problem is?

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts

How to us Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer7
Guided help to troubleshoot Internet Explorer stop, restart, or crash
problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/

To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

If you upgraded to IE 7 'before' you applied SP 3, you'll have to
uninstall SP 3 first.

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

Re: IE7 on XP SP3 stops responding since 10/15/08 security update
Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a Norton application ever been
installed on the machine?

If the IE update's the cause of the problem (and $5 says it's not), the
following should get you sorted:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/