Google is redirected to router

Rob

Google is redirected to router
Google is my homepage on IE7 (Vista). When I open the internet I end up
getting redirected to my speedstream router I just received for DSL from
Windstream. I cannot get Google to come up at all, and unless I enter in the
actual "www" address to a site I end up redirected to the router ("www"
address is not effective for google). The problem just started occurring,
but was satisfactory before. I imagine that I did something stupid to cause
this issue.
May not be appropriate for this community, and may be a local provider
topic, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,
--
Rob

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: Google is redirected to router
Did your DSL provider offer any suggestions, and what was the outcome
when you tried them?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Rob wrote:
> Google is my homepage on IE7 (Vista). When I open the internet I end up
> getting redirected to my speedstream router I just received for DSL from
> Windstream. I cannot get Google to come up at all, and unless I enter in the
> actual "www" address to a site I end up redirected to the router ("www"
> address is not effective for google). The problem just started occurring,
> but was satisfactory before. I imagine that I did something stupid to cause
> this issue.
> May not be appropriate for this community, and may be a local provider
> topic, but I thought I would throw it out there.
> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,

RobertVA

Rob wrote:
> Google is my homepage on IE7 (Vista). When I open the internet I end up
> getting redirected to my speedstream router I just received for DSL from
> Windstream. I cannot get Google to come up at all, and unless I enter in the
> actual "www" address to a site I end up redirected to the router ("www"
> address is not effective for google). The problem just started occurring,
> but was satisfactory before. I imagine that I did something stupid to cause
> this issue.
> May not be appropriate for this community, and may be a local provider
> topic, but I thought I would throw it out there.
> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,

I'm not sure what "getting redirected to my slipstream router" means. Is
the browser displaying the router's configuration page?

Have you compared you computer's network settings to the recommendations
in the router's user manual (sometimes printed, sometimes on a CD,
sometimes available on the manufacturer's web site)? Have you checked
the router's setting against the ISP's recommendations (some have the
recommended settings in the customer support section of their web site)?
You might be experiencing a problem with the domain Name Server (DNS)
address settings or possibly you computer's Hosts file (no file extension).

Use security software to make sure there isn't any malicious software on
your computer too.
N. Miller

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:54:06 -0500, RobertVA wrote:

> Rob wrote:

>> Google is my homepage on IE7 (Vista). When I open the internet I end up
>> getting redirected to my speedstream router I just received for DSL from
>> Windstream. I cannot get Google to come up at all, and unless I enter in the
>> actual "www" address to a site I end up redirected to the router ("www"
>> address is not effective for google). The problem just started occurring,
>> but was satisfactory before. I imagine that I did something stupid to cause
>> this issue.
>> May not be appropriate for this community, and may be a local provider
>> topic, but I thought I would throw it out there.
>> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,

> I'm not sure what "getting redirected to my slipstream router" means.

"SpeedSream" (not "slipstream") is a Siemens DSL modem, with router
functions. Windstream apparently issues them to DSL customers. SBC also did,
for a while, and entering '192.168.0.1' will take my browser to my
SpeedStream 4100 configuration pages.

> Is the browser displaying the router's configuration page?

That is exactly what the OP is saying.

> Have you compared you computer's network settings to the recommendations
> in the router's user manual (sometimes printed, sometimes on a CD,
> sometimes available on the manufacturer's web site)?

If this is a Windstream modified device, the manufacturer's generic
documentation may be of little to no use. In the case of my SBC supplied
SS4100, the Siemens SS4100 docs are pretty useless.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
N. Miller

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:33:01 -0800, Rob wrote:

> Google is my homepage on IE7 (Vista). When I open the internet I end up
> getting redirected to my speedstream router I just received for DSL from
> Windstream. I cannot get Google to come up at all, and unless I enter in the
> actual "www" address to a site I end up redirected to the router ("www"
> address is not effective for google). The problem just started occurring,
> but was satisfactory before. I imagine that I did something stupid to cause
> this issue.
> May not be appropriate for this community, and may be a local provider
> topic, but I thought I would throw it out there.
> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,

Is your SpeedStream modem a Windstream modified device, or a fully
functional router? What does 'ipconfig' report as your DNS servers? Do you
have any security software which modifies the 'hosts' file, such as Spybot
S&D?