Need my Temporary Interent Files

Alexandra

Need my Temporary Interent Files
I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File folder
is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it.
When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it is
blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is set
with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change it. With
Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and unchecked every
box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary internet folders for
the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that ARE NOT COPYRIGHTED.
Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software, trojans, etc. I
know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary Internet Files. I have
also done the command line of
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a shortcut
arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not have
permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this? I
need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
[Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]

Alexandra wrote:
> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
> folder
> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it.
> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
> is
> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
> it.
> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
> ARE
> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
> shortcut
> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
> have
> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Michael Walraven

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not have
a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I have
not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
Michael

> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> Alexandra wrote:
>> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
>> folder
>> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
>> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access
>> it.
>> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
>> is
>> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
>> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
>> it.
>> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
>> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
>> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
>> ARE
>> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
>> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
>> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
>> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
>> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
>> shortcut
>> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
>> have
>> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
>> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Big D

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:

>My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not have
>a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
>So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I have
>not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
>Michael

And UAC is operating uninhibited?

I couldn't do what the OP wants to do until I disabled UAC completely.

>"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]
>>
>> Alexandra wrote:
>>> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
>>> folder
>>> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
>>> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access
>>> it.
>>> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
>>> is
>>> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
>>> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
>>> it.
>>> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
>>> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
>>> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
>>> ARE
>>> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
>>> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
>>> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
>>> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
>>> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
>>> shortcut
>>> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
>>> have
>>> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
>>> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Michael Walraven

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a warning
that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a file
in the folder.

I note that on my system at:
c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

Michael

"Big D" <big.dee@yaSPAMhoo.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>>My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not
>>have
>>a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
>>So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I
>>have
>>not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
>>Michael

> And UAC is operating uninhibited?
>
> I couldn't do what the OP wants to do until I disabled UAC completely.
>

>>"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]

Big D

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:

>In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
>I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
>Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a warning
>that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a file
>in the folder.
>
>I note that on my system at:
>c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
>Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

I have moved my TIF folder to a completely different drive (the REAL
location!), but I still see SOME of those files in the
C:\Users\...blah, blah folder. To view all of the files in the REAL
location, I had to disable UAC... for whatever reason.

To get at the SWF and similar items the OP needs to go to the REAL
location.

Actually, the OP needs to use Firefox and install one of the great
add-ons that will download SWF files, etc to the computer's hard drive
and then convert it to whatever type is needed.

Mine will download ANY flash movie from ANY site. No need to find it
in the TIF folder.
FromTheRafters

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
I presume the *real* files can be managed by "cleanmgr" so you can
find them, wherever you relocated them to, by doing the following:

Start - run - cleanmgr

Highlight Temporary Internet Files

Click the "View Files" button.

Make a note of the location.

Other TIF file locations may be there for some odd legacy programs to
use but may not be managed by cleanmgr.

Actually, Im not at the Vista machine now to confirm the process, but
ISTR it is very much alike this XP process.

"Big D" <big.dee@yaSPAMhoo.com> wrote in message
newsgdvg4pur66is1659c4hoome8apo9kd2qk@4ax.com...
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>>In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
>>I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
>>Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a
>>warning
>>that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a
>>file
>>in the folder.
>>
>>I note that on my system at:
>>c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
>>Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

> I have moved my TIF folder to a completely different drive (the REAL
> location!), but I still see SOME of those files in the
> C:\Users\...blah, blah folder. To view all of the files in the REAL
> location, I had to disable UAC... for whatever reason.
>
> To get at the SWF and similar items the OP needs to go to the REAL
> location.
>
> Actually, the OP needs to use Firefox and install one of the great
> add-ons that will download SWF files, etc to the computer's hard drive
> and then convert it to whatever type is needed.
>
> Mine will download ANY flash movie from ANY site. No need to find it
> in the TIF folder.

Gordon

"Alexandra" <Alexandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
>folder
> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it.

Why do you need to?

Alexandra

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Alexandra" <Alexandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
> >folder
> > is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
> > changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it.

> Why do you need to?

You know sometimes when I need things from the net from websites from
clients, it is faster grabbing the files from the TIF. By the way, I know
have 215MB of TIF and even thought I keep hitting delete TIF they are still
lthere because they are superhidden! So, where I used to delete them
manually and through Internet Options, I no longer have that option because
Microsoft wants to control everything one does with a computer. So, can
someone please tell me how to unhide those files and how to delete them since
internet options delete and the web browser delete does not seem to be doing
it. This OS is a horror.

Retroman

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:00:06 -0800, Alexandra <Alexandra@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>You know sometimes when I need things from the net from websites from
>clients, it is faster grabbing the files from the TIF. By the way, I know
>have 215MB of TIF and even thought I keep hitting delete TIF they are still
>lthere because they are superhidden! So, where I used to delete them
>manually and through Internet Options, I no longer have that option because
>Microsoft wants to control everything one does with a computer. So, can
>someone please tell me how to unhide those files and how to delete them since
>internet options delete and the web browser delete does not seem to be doing
>it. This OS is a horror.

Alexandra, I appreciate your frustration but with each new version of Windows, it
takes a little time to learn how things work. There is no need to delete temp files
manually via Explorer. Vista's built-in disk cleanup feature will do that (type
"cleanup" into the start menu search window). For more flexibility, you can download
CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/

To show IE temp files, type "run" into the start menu search window and press Enter.
Then type "shell:cache" into the Run window and press Enter. Windows Explorer will
open to the IE temp folder, with files showing. Now you can put a shortcut to this
window on your desktop by right-clicking the temp folder and choosing Send To >
Desktop.

Doug M. in NJ