help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2

UFO

help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
please help me:
about 2-3 weeks ago i uninstalled IE8beta2 (because it had bugs), and since
then my browser is having plenty of bugs because of that (meaning it got
worse). because of it, i decided to re-install IE7.however, i cannot install
either IE7 or IE8beta2.
here are all the steps that i've tried:
1.reset all settings of IE.
2.re-install IE7. also, i tried reinstall IE8beta2. what i get is something
like that:
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00342pd8.jpg
for both of the installations. after restarting, i cannot see any new item
on the desktop as was written in this error window.
3.tried using the system restore point, but there was no restore point that
was far enough in the past.
4.i tried re-installing SP3 , but i got the next window:
http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00344cp2.jpg
and this one after that:
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00345hs6.jpg
5. i tried re-installing windows using the repair feature, but it said i
have a newer version than what i have (which is correct - i have SP3, but the
disc is SP2) . i cannot uninstall SP3 since it isn't in the add/remove
programs window.
6.i tried asking microsoft to give me a new disc of windows xp sp3 , but
they don't have.
7.at this stage i found out that i cannot be sure of which version of IE i
have. it says it is IE6 but i have no idea why it became like that since i
had IE7 before... this is why i decided to try re-installing IE6 . it seemed
to install fine but when i restarted the computer, i got error messages in
the beginning of missing files, and it asked me to restart without the
ability to do anything (didn't show the desktop and the taskbar) . this is
why i had to use the F8 key in the booting process , and i ised the "use last
known configuration that worked" (or something like that) ,and it now works
, but i still have the problem.

can anyone else please help me?

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
What a mess and your injudicious use of System Restore to correct it only
made matters worse, I'm afraid. At this point, I'd recommend that you
format & reinstall WinXP. Good luck.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

UFO wrote:
> please help me:
> about 2-3 weeks ago i uninstalled IE8beta2 (because it had bugs), and
> since
> then my browser is having plenty of bugs because of that (meaning it got
> worse). because of it, i decided to re-install IE7.however, i cannot
> install
> either IE7 or IE8beta2.
> here are all the steps that i've tried:
> 1.reset all settings of IE.
> 2.re-install IE7. also, i tried reinstall IE8beta2. what i get is
> something
> like that:
> http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00342pd8.jpg
> for both of the installations. after restarting, i cannot see any new item
> on the desktop as was written in this error window.
> 3.tried using the system restore point, but there was no restore point
> that
> was far enough in the past.
> 4.i tried re-installing SP3 , but i got the next window:
> http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00344cp2.jpg
> and this one after that:
> http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ic00345hs6.jpg
> 5. i tried re-installing windows using the repair feature, but it said i
> have a newer version than what i have (which is correct - i have SP3, but
> the disc is SP2) . i cannot uninstall SP3 since it isn't in the add/remove
> programs window.
> 6.i tried asking microsoft to give me a new disc of windows xp sp3 , but
> they don't have.
> 7.at this stage i found out that i cannot be sure of which version of IE i
> have. it says it is IE6 but i have no idea why it became like that since i
> had IE7 before... this is why i decided to try re-installing IE6 . it
> seemed
> to install fine but when i restarted the computer, i got error messages in
> the beginning of missing files, and it asked me to restart without the
> ability to do anything (didn't show the desktop and the taskbar) . this is
> why i had to use the F8 key in the booting process , and i ised the "use
> last known configuration that worked" (or something like that) ,and it
> now
> works , but i still have the problem.
>
> can anyone else please help me?

UFO

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
is there any other way ?
i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done it
so many times...

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
> is there any other way ?

Nope, you've made a total mess of things.

> i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
> it
> so many times...

Why have you had to reinstall so many times?

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Security FAQ & Checklist
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463

UFO wrote:
> is there any other way ?
> i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
> it
> so many times...

UFO

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
about the re-installations that i've done so many times, i didn't mean it was
for the current problem. i meant it was since the day i bought windows xp.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > is there any other way ?

> Nope, you've made a total mess of things.
>
> > i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
> > it
> > so many times...

> Why have you had to reinstall so many times?
>
> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>
> Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
>
> Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
> http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
>
> Security FAQ & Checklist
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463
>
> UFO wrote:
> > is there any other way ?
> > i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
> > it
> > so many times...

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
I know. Same question.

UFO wrote:
> about the re-installations that i've done so many times, i didn't mean it
> was for the current problem. i meant it was since the day i bought windows
> xp.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> is there any other way ?

>> Nope, you've made a total mess of things.
>>
>>> i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
>>> it
>>> so many times...

>> Why have you had to reinstall so many times?
>>
>> Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>>
>> Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
>>
>> Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
>> http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
>>
>> Security FAQ & Checklist
>> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463
>>
>> UFO wrote:
>>> is there any other way ?
>>> i just really don't like to install everything from scratch... i've done
>>> it
>>> so many times...

UFO

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
i don't understand . what do you mean by "I know. Same question." ?
btw, i've succeeded re-installing wondows xp sp2 , but now it cannot update
to IE7 and to SP3 , and it still has IE6 .
UFO

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
ok, i decided to re-install windows, but without formatting and without
repairing (yes, this feature exist) . now it seems to work just fine.
sadly i have to re-configure everything the way i like it, just like any
other time that i had to re-install it.
thanks for trying to help.

Re: help : can't install IE7 or IE8beta2
YW