Navigation to the webpage was canceled

Jerry Tovar

Navigation to the webpage was canceled
I have a PC with XP Pro SP2. I am connected to a local LAN.

I can NOT view .CHM files that reside on the LAN drive. I do have
permissions for this drive and can create, edit or delete files on this
drive. However, when I try to open a CHM on the LAN, I get a dialog with this
message:

Open File - Security Warning
Publisher unknown

When I click the Open button, the .CHM opens but then I see this message in
the contents frame:
"Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

I have IE7 on this PC. IE7 works just fine for navigating to any site. I
just can't view .CHMs that reside on the network.

How can I correct this?

Thanks,

Jerry Tovar

rob^_^

Re: Navigation to the webpage was canceled
Hi Jerry,

This link may provide you with some insight.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#message

Content:

Why do I see an Action Cancelled (IE 6) or Navigation message? (IE 7)
[return to FAQ]

The Action Cancelled message (IE 6) or "Navigation to the webpage was
canceled" (IE 7) is generated by Internet Explorer when entries in the users
HOSTS file are preventing access from one or more servers designated in the
web page. In most cases this occurs from 3rd party ad servers such as
"doubleclick", where the "Action Cancelled" or "Navigation canceled" message
replaces an ad banner in a hidden frame within the viewing page.

To determine if this is the case, right-click the Cancelled message and
select: Properties
Look at the entire "path", (URL) you should see the listed entry.
(screenshot)

In other cases the message (page cannot be displayed) is displayed when a
user clicks a link in a page that routes them thru a tracking service, or
attempts to connect to a listed hijacker, parasite, etc. and this URL is
listed as an entry in the HOSTS file. In the event you are unable to
determine why you can not access a certain page, you can drop me a note and
I'll try and determine the cause. Please provide the full URL (website page)
in question.

On some sites these entries will also cause the "red X" (missing image).
[or]
When you open IE7 - The File Download – Security Warning dialog box also
refers to the "navcancl" file name

Try the tests outlined above and also check your Intranet and Internet
Security Zone settings for navigation across domains in different security
zones.

Here is a post that seems to specifically apply to you -
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_...TID=10201&PN=1

Content:

I am unable to recreate what you are reporting. Certainly, until I unblock
the "CHM" in question I get the same results as you. However, clearing the
"Always ask before opening this file" or "Unblocking" the chm from it's
Property page allows the CHM file to function as intended.

Note that if the CHM file resides on a network drive, you will see similar
results ("Navigation to the webpage was canceled"), even if you unblock it.
(Info on that in the MS KB: "You cannot open remote content by using the
InfoTech protocol"; though it doesn't specifically mention Vista, it
certainly seems to apply.)

Alternate data streams (ADS) are used to store the info that causes the
properties page to present the "Unblock" button. One can delete ADS with a
number of different tools or techniques. Sysinternals' "Streams" can be
used for this. From a CMD prompt, change to the folder with the CHM files
you're having problems with, and enter:

C:\Path\To\StreamsProgram\streams.exe .\*.chm

(Replace "C:\Path\To\StreamsProgram\" with the actual path to streams.exe.)

This will give a listing of all .CHM files in the current folder that have
ADS. To delete the streams, enter:

C:\Path\To\StreamsProgram\streams -d .\*.chm

This will delete the streams from all .CHM files in the current folder. To
verify the streams are gone, execute the first command again.

Then, try opening the .CHM files and see if you still have problems.

Or, you could move all .CHM files you're having problems with to a non-NTFS
drive or partition. ADS are a feature of NTFS; if you move / copy to a
non-NTFS filesystem, the ADS are lost. Then, you can move the .CHM files
back to where you want them to be and the streams should be gone.

Answer:

Solved! (Well, actually, "fixed" rather than "solved"):

I copied the .CHM files to a FAT flash drive, deleted the originals, and
copied them back -- and now they all work.

I hope this helps someone else. I still don't know what caused the original
problem, though.

For the sake of completeness: I *thought* I checked to see if the files were
read-only, but I'm not really sure. Since that duplicates the symptoms, I'll
plead "old age memory loss" and agree that it is "Solved!".

If nothing else, you've added some useful information to the thread.

Regards.