Homepage Hijack

April

Homepage Hijack
How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an update
which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't get
my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of creepy
companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way to get rid of
this.
Don Varnau

Re: Homepage Hijack
Hi,
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?
Are you seeing the IE7 GetItNow page or the runonce.msn.com
(configuration/settings) page?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"April" <April@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an update
> which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't

get
> my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of creepy
> companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way to get rid

of
> this.

Re: Homepage Hijack
CrystalBall© sez...

A blank Web page is displayed when you start Internet Explorer 7
[ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

April wrote:
> How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an update
> which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't
> get
> my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of creepy
> companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way to get rid
> of this.

April

Re: Homepage Hijack
Windows XP Pro, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
IE Version 7.0.5730.11

Here's the new home page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

I"ve tried setting a blank home page or a different home page, but while the
one I set displays in the home page field and when I click the home button it
displays, I can't get IE to open to the home page as it is supposed to.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> Which version of Internet Explorer?
> Are you seeing the IE7 GetItNow page or the runonce.msn.com
> (configuration/settings) page?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "April" <April@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an update
> > which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't

> get
> > my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of creepy
> > companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way to get rid

> of
> > this.

Re: Homepage Hijack
Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check for
IE updates <=checked or unchecked? If checked, does unchecking it make a
difference in home page behavior?

in the background when you installed IE7 and/or WinXP SP3?

April wrote:
> Windows XP Pro, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> IE Version 7.0.5730.11
>
> Here's the new home page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> I"ve tried setting a blank home page or a different home page, but while
> the
> one I set displays in the home page field and when I click the home button
> it displays, I can't get IE to open to the home page as it is supposed to.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
>> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>> Are you seeing the IE7 GetItNow page or the runonce.msn.com
>> (configuration/settings) page?
>>
>> "April" <April@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an
>>> update
>>> which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't
>>> get my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of
>>> creepy companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way
>>> get rid of this.

EricLaw

Re: Homepage Hijack
Please see http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubles...sp#updatecheck

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Internet Explorer

On Nov 5, 12:51*am, April <Ap...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Windows XP Pro, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> IE Version 7.0.5730.11
>
> Here's the new home page:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> I"ve tried setting a blank home page or a different home page, but while the
> one I set displays in the home page field and when I click the home button it
> displays, I can't get IE to open to the home page as it is supposed to.
>

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> > Which version of Internet Explorer?
> > Are you seeing the IE7GetItNowpage or the runonce.msn.com
> > (configuration/settings) *page?

> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "April" <Ap...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How can I make Microsoft stop hijacking my homepage? I installed an update
> > > which said nothing about installing an unwanted homepage and now I can't

> > get
> > > my own homepage back. I expect this kind of creepy behavior out of creepy
> > > companies, but come on, Microsoft? Please tell me there's a way to get rid

> > of
> > > this.- Hide quoted text -

Re: Homepage Hijack
[IE8 RC1 must be ready if you're posting here! <eg>]