Internet explorer won't stay open

wiersma7

Internet explorer won't stay open
Hi,

I think I did something dufus:
I decided to try the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Downloaded it, installed it,
didn't work right - husband needed to do some internet work RIGHT NOW! So I
used System restore from a point before I installed IE 8 Beta. IE 7 popped
up and then just as fast closed.
I got an error message:
The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at "0x022d6000". The
memory could not be "written". Debug or Cancel buttons.
Tried:
Both buttons (Debug or Cancel) - didn't make a difference.
Restoring at an earlier point - popped up, closed.
Last good configuration - popped up, closed.
Deleted cookies, temp files, history - popped up, closed.
Ran disk check - popped up, closed.

Can any of you smart people undufus this?
Thanks much! wiersma7

rob^_^

Re: Internet explorer won't stay open
Hi Dufus,

Yep, doing a system restore to revert back to IE7 from 8 beta is untested
territory for which I don't have any suggestions.

However, everything is not lost.

The error message - The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at
"0x022d6000". is a typical error message of the Google toolbar. Have you
tried starting IE7 in no-Addons mode?

Start>(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer(no-Addons)

If you can start IE7 in no-Addons mode then you have 2 choices to repair IE
and get it working.

Reset IE - Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Reset
button - This will disable all of your IE Addons and reset IE's settings to
their factory defaults. (You may have to re-tune your IE settings to your
preferences once you do an RIES (Reset IE Settings).

Use the IE Addons Manager - Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - Programs
tab, Manage Addons button - and disable your IE Addons (start with the
Google toolbar and Google Toolbar Helper) one by one (restarting IE each
time) to find the Addons that is causing the problems.

Regards.

"wiersma7" <wiersma7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I think I did something dufus:
> I decided to try the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Downloaded it, installed
> it, didn't work right - husband needed to do some internet work RIGHT NOW!
> So I used System restore from a point before I installed IE 8 Beta. IE 7
> popped up and then just as fast closed.
> I got an error message:
> The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at "0x022d6000". The
> memory could not be "written". Debug or Cancel buttons.
> Tried:
> Both buttons (Debug or Cancel) - didn't make a difference.
> Restoring at an earlier point - popped up, closed.
> Last good configuration - popped up, closed.
> Deleted cookies, temp files, history - popped up, closed.
> Ran disk check - popped up, closed.
>
> Can any of you smart people undufus this?
> Thanks much! wiersma7

Re: Internet explorer won't stay open
1. Undo the last System Restore.

2. Uninstall IE8 Beta via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

wiersma7 wrote:
> I think I did something dufus:
> I decided to try the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Downloaded it, installed
> it,
> didn't work right - husband needed to do some internet work RIGHT NOW! So
> used System restore from a point before I installed IE 8 Beta. IE 7 popped
> up and then just as fast closed.
> I got an error message:
> The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at "0x022d6000". The
> memory could not be "written". Debug or Cancel buttons.
> Tried:
> Both buttons (Debug or Cancel) - didn't make a difference.
> Restoring at an earlier point - popped up, closed.
> Last good configuration - popped up, closed.
> Deleted cookies, temp files, history - popped up, closed.
> Ran disk check - popped up, closed.
>
> Can any of you smart people undufus this?
> Thanks much! wiersma7

wiersma7

Re: Internet explorer won't stay open
I actually did a system restore twice.
I did a system restore anyhow per your #1. There is no IE 8 Beta in
Add/Remove only Internet Explorer 7 (i can remove only). In the IE folder
(in programs folder) there are two .exe icons: IEXPLORE(2).EXE and
iexplore.exe. If I double click on IEXPLORE(2).EXE I get a message that says
'This is being run on compatibility mode and not all features are enabled'.
It opens, but I can't get 'Internet Options' to open (can't from Control
Panel either) to manage addons. iexplore.exe pops up and closes immediately.
wiersma7

> 1. Undo the last System Restore.
>
> 2. Uninstall IE8 Beta via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> wiersma7 wrote:
>> I think I did something dufus:
>> I decided to try the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Downloaded it, installed
>> it,
>> didn't work right - husband needed to do some internet work RIGHT NOW! So
>> used System restore from a point before I installed IE 8 Beta. IE 7
>> popped
>> up and then just as fast closed.
>> I got an error message:
>> The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at "0x022d6000". The
>> memory could not be "written". Debug or Cancel buttons.
>> Tried:
>> Both buttons (Debug or Cancel) - didn't make a difference.
>> Restoring at an earlier point - popped up, closed.
>> Last good configuration - popped up, closed.
>> Deleted cookies, temp files, history - popped up, closed.
>> Ran disk check - popped up, closed.
>>
>> Can any of you smart people undufus this?
>> Thanks much! wiersma7

wiersma7

Re: Internet explorer won't stay open
Also, when I open 'About...' it says:
Version: Side by Side Mode
Cipher Strength: 128 bit
Update Versions: 0
w7

> 1. Undo the last System Restore.
>
> 2. Uninstall IE8 Beta via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> wiersma7 wrote:
>> I think I did something dufus:
>> I decided to try the Internet Explorer 8 beta. Downloaded it, installed
>> it,
>> didn't work right - husband needed to do some internet work RIGHT NOW! So
>> used System restore from a point before I installed IE 8 Beta. IE 7
>> popped
>> up and then just as fast closed.
>> I got an error message:
>> The instruction at "0x77c46fa3" referenced memory at "0x022d6000". The
>> memory could not be "written". Debug or Cancel buttons.
>> Tried:
>> Both buttons (Debug or Cancel) - didn't make a difference.
>> Restoring at an earlier point - popped up, closed.
>> Last good configuration - popped up, closed.
>> Deleted cookies, temp files, history - popped up, closed.
>> Ran disk check - popped up, closed.
>>
>> Can any of you smart people undufus this?
>> Thanks much! wiersma7

Re: Internet explorer won't stay open
Sorry to say this but had you taken the time to install IE8B2 (versus using
System Restore) in the first place, chances are that you wouldn't have this
mess on your hands now.

Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North American (i.e., US &
CA) English-speaking customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8
pre-released versions is valid until 31 Dec-08. See
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357

If the above pertains to you, perhaps MS can help you. Otherwise and
unfortunately, the best way to "undo" all of this would be to format &
reinstall Windows (XP? Vista? Vista x64?). Such are the inherent risks when
installing beta software. Wish I had better news for you.
--
~PA Bear

wiersma7 wrote:
> Also, when I open 'About...' it says:
> Version: Side by Side Mode
> Cipher Strength: 128 bit
> Update Versions: 0

<paste>
> I actually did a system restore twice.
> I did a system restore anyhow per your #1. There is no IE 8 Beta in
> Add/Remove only Internet Explorer 7 (i can remove only). In the IE folder
> (in programs folder) there are two .exe icons: IEXPLORE(2).EXE and
> iexplore.exe. If I double click on IEXPLORE(2).EXE I get a message that
> says
> 'This is being run on compatibility mode and not all features are
> enabled'.
> It opens, but I can't get 'Internet Options' to open (can't from Control
> Panel either) to manage addons. iexplore.exe pops up and closes
> immediately.

</paste>