Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

mlundp

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
I am running XP Pro SP3.

Microsoft Explorer doesn’t work. I get: “Internet Explorer cannot display
the webpage”

All my other Internet depending programs work fine: Firefox, Outlook 2003,
Itunes, Even automatic windows update. However, ftp programs doesn’t seem to
work either.

I use Symantec Endpoint Protection which I have disabled just in case it was
involved.

I have reset Explorer with no change:
1.Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
3.In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.

I have tried to run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) with no change in results.

Nothing seems to change this even if I go to msconfig and select Diagnostic
Startup Explorer reports the same problem.

The only thing that will make Explorer work is to hit F8 at booting and
select safe startup w networking

M Petersen

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
IE version is...?

mlundp wrote:
> I am running XP Pro SP3.
>
> Microsoft Explorer doesn’t work. I get: “Internet Explorer cannot display
> the webpage”
>
> All my other Internet depending programs work fine: Firefox, Outlook 2003,
> Itunes, Even automatic windows update. However, ftp programs doesn’t seem
> work either.
>
> I use Symantec Endpoint Protection which I have disabled just in case it
> was
> involved.
>
> I have reset Explorer with no change:
> 1.Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
> 2.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
> 3.In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.
>
> I have tried to run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) with no change in
> results.
>
> Nothing seems to change this even if I go to msconfig and select
> Diagnostic
> Startup Explorer reports the same problem.
>
> The only thing that will make Explorer work is to hit F8 at booting and
> select safe startup w networking
>
> M Petersen

mlundp

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Sorry, I am using IE 7. I also tried:

1. Uninstalled Explorer 7 and re-install a fresh copy from MS
2. Re-installed XP Pro SP3

M Petersen

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE version is...?
>
> mlundp wrote:
> > I am running XP Pro SP3.
> >
> > Microsoft Explorer doesn’t work. I get: “Internet Explorer cannot display
> > the webpage”
> >
> > All my other Internet depending programs work fine: Firefox, Outlook 2003,
> > Itunes, Even automatic windows update. However, ftp programs doesn’t seem
> > work either.
> >
> > I use Symantec Endpoint Protection which I have disabled just in case it
> > was
> > involved.
> >
> > I have reset Explorer with no change:
> > 1.Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
> > 2.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
> > 3.In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.
> >
> > I have tried to run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) with no change in
> > results.
> >
> > Nothing seems to change this even if I go to msconfig and select
> > Diagnostic
> > Startup Explorer reports the same problem.
> >
> > The only thing that will make Explorer work is to hit F8 at booting and
> > select safe startup w networking
> >
> > M Petersen

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
If the machine's fully patched at Windows Update and this problem started
after you'd installed the Oct-08 security updates
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx), read
on...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your Norton Firewall settings don't help, try the following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable the Norton Firewall AND THEN enable the Windows
Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled!

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable the Norton Firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mlundp wrote:
> Sorry, I am using IE 7. I also tried:
>
> 1. Uninstalled Explorer 7 and re-install a fresh copy from MS
> 2. Re-installed XP Pro SP3
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> IE version is...?
>>
>> mlundp wrote:
>>> I am running XP Pro SP3.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Explorer doesn’t work. I get: “Internet Explorer cannot
>>> display
>>> the webpage”
>>>
>>> All my other Internet depending programs work fine: Firefox, Outlook
>>> 2003,
>>> Itunes, Even automatic windows update. However, ftp programs doesn’t
>>> seem
>>> work either.
>>>
>>> I use Symantec Endpoint Protection which I have disabled just in case it
>>> was
>>> involved.
>>>
>>> I have reset Explorer with no change:
>>> 1.Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
>>> 2.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
>>> 3.In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.
>>>
>>> I have tried to run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) with no change in
>>> results.
>>>
>>> Nothing seems to change this even if I go to msconfig and select
>>> Diagnostic
>>> Startup Explorer reports the same problem.
>>>
>>> The only thing that will make Explorer work is to hit F8 at booting and
>>> select safe startup w networking
>>>
>>> M Petersen

mlundp

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Thanks for showing interest in my problem. I followed your directions and
un-installed KB956390 and re-booted. It didn't work so I wasn't able to use
IE to go to the update site and download new updates. However, the automatic
update process eventually prevailed and reported a critical update to install
(see that works fine). I installed that and even re-booted once again.

Sorry to say IE7 still doesn't work.

M Petersen

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If the machine's fully patched at Windows Update and this problem started
> after you'd installed the Oct-08 security updates
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx), read
> on...
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your Norton Firewall settings don't help, try the following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable the Norton Firewall AND THEN enable the Windows
> Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled!
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
> Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable the Norton Firewall.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> mlundp wrote:
> > Sorry, I am using IE 7. I also tried:
> >
> > 1. Uninstalled Explorer 7 and re-install a fresh copy from MS
> > 2. Re-installed XP Pro SP3
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> IE version is...?

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
I need to ask more diagnostic questions, I'm afraid. Try to answer all of
them (by number, not inline) in your next reply, please:

1. Did the problem start immediately after you'd installed the Oct-08
security updates?

2. Did the problem start later in the month (e.g., on or shortly after 23
Oct-08)?

3. Did KB956390 reinstall successfully via Automatic Updates; i.e., is
"Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)" now listed in
Add/Remove Programs?

>> The only thing that will make Explorer work is to hit F8 at booting and
>> select safe startup w networking

4. Despite the fact that you've tried starting IE7 in No Add-ons mode and
have done a Reset, the fact that IE7 works in Safe Mode with Networking
suggests that one or more of your Add-ons is the culprit. Have you tried,
in order, starting IE7 in No Add-ons mode and after doing a Reset (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737) since you've
uninstalling/reinstalled IE7 and/or WinXP SP3? Could IE6 connect after
you'd uninstalled IE7?

5a. Were all Symantec Endpoint Protection processes (i.e., anti-virus;
anti-spyware) running in the background and was the Symantec Firewall
enabled when you installed, uninstalled, or reinstalled IE7 and/or WinXP
SP3?

5b. May we assume that the Symantec Firewall and the Windows Firewall are
not both enabled?

6a. Is the Symantec Endpoint Protection subscription current?

6b. Assuming this is a machine at your workplace, are any other machines on
your network seeing this behavior?

6c. If it's a Notebook PC (laptop), does the behavior persist when you're at
home or at another location?
--
~PA Bear

mlundp wrote:
> Thanks for showing interest in my problem. I followed your directions and
> un-installed KB956390 and re-booted. It didn't work so I wasn't able to
> use
> IE to go to the update site and download new updates. However, the
> automatic
> update process eventually prevailed and reported a critical update to
> install (see that works fine). I installed that and even re-booted once
> again.
>
> Sorry to say IE7 still doesn't work.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> If the machine's fully patched at Windows Update and this problem started
>> after you'd installed the Oct-08 security updates
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx), read
>> on...
>>
>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>>
>> If tweaking your Norton Firewall settings don't help, try the following:
>>
>> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
>> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
>> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
>> guard.exe, etc.), disable the Norton Firewall AND THEN enable the Windows
>> Firewall.
>>
>> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
>> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
>> anti-virus application has been re-enabled!
>>
>> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
>> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
>> right) and reboot.
>>
>> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>>
>> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
>> Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is
>> listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
>> advantage
>> of IE7's enhanced security.
>>
>> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
>> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable the Norton Firewall.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> mlundp wrote:
>>> Sorry, I am using IE 7. I also tried:
>>>
>>> 1. Uninstalled Explorer 7 and re-install a fresh copy from MS
>>> 2. Re-installed XP Pro SP3

mlundp

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
1. I am not sure. I first noticed the problem on the evening of Oct 30th. I
thought maybe my home network had a problem and waited to the next day at
work. At work I got confirmed that the problem still existed. I tried
wireless, wired and my At&t aircard. All of them received the same IE7 error.
2. N/A
3. No KB956390. It installed KB951698. KB956390 is currently not installed.
4. I tried Reset in IE7 with No Add-ons. It didn’t work either. When I
uninstalled IE7 I tried IE6 and that didn’t work Either.
5. (a). Symantec was disabled through all the steps.
5. (b). Both Windows firewall and Symantec were disabled.
6 Yes, Symantec endpoint is current and up to date.

Thanks again. M Petersen

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> anti-virus application has been re-enabled!
> >>
> >> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
> >> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
> >> right) and reboot.
> >>
> >> 3. Re-do #1 above.
> >>
> >> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
> >> Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is
> >> listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
> >> advantage
> >> of IE7's enhanced security.
> >>
> >> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> >> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable the Norton Firewall.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Hmmm...

> ...KB956390 is currently not installed.

1. Please confirm: You successfully uninstalled "Security Update for Windows
Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)" via Add/Remove Programs & rebooted. After
doing so, Automatic Updates offered the machine KB951698 (but not KB956390)
and "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)" is NOT
listed in Add/Remove Programs (after making sure the Show Updates box at
top-right is checked).

2. I know you've uninstalled/reinstalled IE7 and WinXP SP3 several times: In
what order were IE7 and WinXP SP3 originally installed?

3. To your best recollection, when were you last able to use Windows Update
website to check for updates?

4. Can you tell me when (approximate date) WinXP SP3 was installed, if it
was installed via Automatic Updates, and if all Symantec Endpoint Protection
processes were running in the background when it was installed?

5. How long has Symantec Endpoint Protection been installed? Was another
Symantec or Norton application ever installed on the machine (e.g., a
free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when you bought
it)?

[FYI: I'm handling a thread in another newsgroup where Symantec Endpoint
Protection is also installed and the user is having problems with Outlook
Express. This might be more than a coincidence.]
--
~PA Bear

mlundp wrote:
> [...]

>> your network seeing this behavior?
>>
>> 6c. If it's a Notebook PC (laptop), does the behavior persist when you're
>> at home or at another location?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> mlundp wrote:
>>> Thanks for showing interest in my problem. I followed your directions
>>> and
>>> un-installed KB956390 and re-booted. It didn't work so I wasn't able to
>>> use
>>> IE to go to the update site and download new updates. However, the
>>> automatic
>>> update process eventually prevailed and reported a critical update to
>>> install (see that works fine). I installed that and even re-booted once
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Sorry to say IE7 still doesn't work.

mlundp

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Would I still need KB956390 since I downloaded a fresh (or the latest) copy
of IE7 directly from Microsoft? Maybe that version already had the updates in
KB956390?

1. Everything is true.

2. When I first received the computer in August/September it already had XP
SP2 installed. I do not remember wither IE7 was installed. I updated to XP
SP3 and updated anything available to get it up-to-date before I started
using the computer. However, everything worked just fine and I had no
problems at all.

3. I updated the laptop overtime an update were made available along with
hardware drivers from Lenovo (using their automatic process through
ThinkVantage). I think I probably updated from Microsoft within the past week.

4. When I first received the computer I installed SP3 before I did anything
else. Then I had an old corporate version of Symantec 8 that I was using.
However, as that became outdated I upgraded our corporate version to the
latest Symantec Endpoint. This happened the past month (probably 30 days ago).

5. see above

Is it significant that everything seems to work on this laptop except IE7
and FTP?

M Petersen

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> 5a. Were all Symantec Endpoint Protection processes (i.e., anti-virus;
> >> anti-spyware) running in the background and was the Symantec Firewall
> >> enabled when you installed, uninstalled, or reinstalled IE7 and/or WinXP
> >> SP3?
> >>
> >> 5b. May we assume that the Symantec Firewall and the Windows Firewall are
> >> not both enabled?
> >>
> >> 6a. Is the Symantec Endpoint Protection subscription current?
> >>
> >> 6b. Assuming this is a machine at your workplace, are any other machines
> >> on
> >> your network seeing this behavior?
> >>
> >> 6c. If it's a Notebook PC (laptop), does the behavior persist when you're
> >> at home or at another location?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
> Would I still need KB956390 since I downloaded a fresh (or the latest)

Yes.

> Maybe that version already had the updates
> in KB956390?

No.

> 3. ...I think I probably updated from Microsoft within the past week.

Yes, but were these updates installed via Automatic Updates
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...windowsxp.mspx)
or did you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install them
manually?

> 4. When I first received the computer I installed SP3 before I did
> anything
> else. Then I had an old corporate version of Symantec 8 that I was using.
> However, as that became outdated I upgraded our corporate version to the
> latest Symantec Endpoint. This happened the past month (probably 30 days
> ago).

And did you uninstall Symantec 8 before you installed Symantec Endpoint
Protection?

> Is it significant that everything seems to work on this laptop except IE7
> and FTP?

Yes. Is there anyone else at work who's (1) running WinXP SP3 (2) on a
machine where Symantec 8 was installed and which was then (3) upgraded to
Symantec Endpoint Security?

The user in the other thread I referenced parenthetically in my previous
reply also had upgraded to Symantec Endpoint Protection recently without
having first uninstalled the previous Symantec application. At this point,
I suspect the "fickle finger of fate" is pointing to Symantec and I'd
recommend contacting Symantec Support for assistance.

That being said, here's what I would do if it were my machine:

1. Uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection, reboot, and test IE* and FTP.**
Assuming all is well...

2. Uninstall Symantec 8, reboot, and test IE* and FTP.** Assuming all is
well...

3a. Reinstall Symantec Endpoint Protection, reboot, and test IE and FTP;
OR...

3b. Install another anti-virus application of your choosing (e.g.,
http://www.free-av.com/) AND enable the Windows Firewall, then test IE* and
FTP.

==================
* Test IE by going to Windows Update and installing any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

** Be EXTREMELY careful at this point! As there's a distinct possibility
that you will be without anti-virus protection, only briefly connect to the
internet to test IE and FTP. If at any point your installed Symantec
application does not include an enabled firewall, make certain that the
Windows Firewall is enabled before connecting the machine to the internet or
any networks!
--
~PA Bear