Internet Explorer stopped working.

PeggyD.

Internet Explorer stopped working.
System is Windows XP. We have Webroot Spyware, Firewall and Antivirus and it
has worked well for over four years. We also have Norton's Go Back.

I downloaded service packs, etc., tried online 'self helps' then finally
called for tech support. After 3 days with someone in India, we still could
not get it to work. They sent me to our cable provider. Another week went
by with their tech support and was not able to fix it. They had us load
Mozilla Firefox for web access. We do not like it and want Internet Explorer
back.

Also, when the computer starts up, the spyware package begins its sweep and
then Explorer 'automatically' tries to start but gets hung up. Then we get
these message blocks saying "SVCHOST.EXE is attempting to delete" the
following three files:
TCpip ;
NetBT ; and
{A2DA1C84-05CA-4105-BE63-A84ED6E4C1A6}.
When we click "allow change", then weird things happen to the computer.
When we click "block change", the messages keep popping up for many cycles.
Finally they stop and things seem okay and then every so often while being
online, the message blocks will pop again and run thru the same messages
multiple times until it seems to get the message that we want the changes
blocked.

Can I safely uninstall Internet Explorer and its components via the
"remove/uninstall programs" area of Windows XP then re-install it from the
internet?

Also, my son continually accesses Limewire and downloads a lot of stuff when
we are not at home. Circuit City claimed we got a worm through access to
Limewire and told us (after getting rid of it) that Limewire should never be
used for this very reason. How can I permanently prevent access to &
downloads from this site without him undoing it?

Any help to resolve these situations will be appreciated.

Peggy D.

Re: Internet Explorer stopped working.
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when
posting to this newsgroup.

> I downloaded service packs, etc.,...

What service packs did you download (e.g., WinXP SP2; WinXP SP3)?

> Can I safely uninstall Internet Explorer and its components via the
> "remove/uninstall programs" area of Windows XP then re-install it from the
> internet?

If you're running IE7 and installed it after you installed WinXP SP3, yes,
but doing so isn't going to help your problem. Windows is infected, not IE.
See below.

> Also, my son continually accesses Limewire and downloads a lot of stuff
> when
> we are not at home. Circuit City claimed we got a worm through access to
> Limewire and told us (after getting rid of it) that Limewire should never
> be
> used for this very reason. How can I permanently prevent access to &
> downloads from this site without him undoing it?

How about "Just say No" and enforce it? Chances are your son knows more
about computers than you do. (And probably should have his own
computer...and pays the bill when it needs to be "fixed".) However, see
this discussion about keeping your family and your computer safe online:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=30095

Now back to your IE problem...

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA, Circuit City, or Geek Squad) computer
repair shop.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/