IE7 cookies/session/connection problem

sean

IE7 cookies/session/connection problem
Hi All,

I am experiencing a very odd issue with IE7 on multiple machines exhibiting
the same behavior and then on other machines not showing the problem at all.
The issue involves IE7 losing it's connection/session info when the website
opens a second window or tab from the a link in the first window/tab. The
most blatant example I have right now is in OWA, user logsin, sees their
inbox and then if a user double clicks a message to open it in it's own
window, reads it and then closes it and tries to go to another message,
they're prompted for their credentials again, but only on some machines.
Other identical machines (same base image for that matter) do not exhibit the
problem at all. This same problem occurs in other websites in a similar
manner, but don't prompt for UN/Pwd again, probably because they're not setup
to. If I install Firefox, it's works as expected, if I roll back to IE6, it
works as expected. Continues with tabs on or off, does it with pop-ups in new
tabs or seperate windows. Continues with cookies setting all the way off. I'm
stuck. Machines are HP's XP SP3 2GB RAM. Any help would greatly be
appreciated.
Kernovian

RE: IE7 cookies/session/connection problem
Same/similar experience here, running XP/SP3 w IE7.

Detail:~

Recently updated IE6 to IE7, but then the Windows OS crashed (n/k if related
issue - think unlikely) and I relaunched afresh with what I had assumed would
have been a 'clean wiped' PC.
Uploaded the fresh system with IE7 again and then almost immediately decided
to try IE8Beta2 - after which very little seemed to work, so I again reset
the OS.

Apparently very many programme/Windows files DID survive these 'wipes' (a
BIG surprise to myself - I always thought when one did this, the whole master
directory was destroyed, thus rendering any files on it unobtainable - but
live and learn !).

The final upload was 'only' IE7 - plain and simple...

....now I experience many annoying IE glitches - having to log in to websites
time after time, just to go from one page to the next and without
UserIDs/PassWords being retained for the most part when this happens.

The really annoying aspect is that the problem remains intermittent... but
it IS far more likely if running more than a single window/tab from the same
site. Does not seem to increase when windows/tabs are tracking differing
sites.

Particularly problematical with eBay/PayPal, but also with other usually
heavily travelled individual sites as well.

Apologies for 'hijacking' original poster's thread.

Hope the techies here will be able to advise ?

sean

RE: IE7 cookies/session/connection problem
Can anyone give some practical advice on how to deal with this? It's been
about 6 weeks and there have been no replies. I know MS is working on IE8; is
that the fix? Where are all the MS folks that worked on 7?

"sean" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experiencing a very odd issue with IE7 on multiple machines exhibiting
> the same behavior and then on other machines not showing the problem at all.
> The issue involves IE7 losing it's connection/session info when the website
> opens a second window or tab from the a link in the first window/tab. The
> most blatant example I have right now is in OWA, user logsin, sees their
> inbox and then if a user double clicks a message to open it in it's own
> window, reads it and then closes it and tries to go to another message,
> they're prompted for their credentials again, but only on some machines.
> Other identical machines (same base image for that matter) do not exhibit the
> problem at all. This same problem occurs in other websites in a similar
> manner, but don't prompt for UN/Pwd again, probably because they're not setup
> to. If I install Firefox, it's works as expected, if I roll back to IE6, it
> works as expected. Continues with tabs on or off, does it with pop-ups in new
> tabs or seperate windows. Continues with cookies setting all the way off. I'm
> stuck. Machines are HP's XP SP3 2GB RAM. Any help would greatly be
> appreciated.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 cookies/session/connection problem
"Where are all the MS folks that worked on 7?"

Won't find any of them here. This a peer-to-peer newsgroup.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est