Password saving problem

parrish.richard@gmail.com

Password saving problem
Hello,

Our research group hosts several websites, and recently a user asked
us why 2 of our sites allow the "Do you want internet explorer to
remember this password?" prompt to be shown, while 2 of our sites
block it. We don't do anything to block the prompt, so we were a
little stumped.

After much testing, we've found that the problem seems to be related
to the fact that the 2 websites that work have just 2 input boxes
(username and password), while the 2 websites that don't work have a
third input box, and disabling the third box allows the "...remember
this password?" prompt to be shown.

Has anyone else ran into this, and if so, is there a work-around
(aside from removing the third input box, as it's necessary for some
of our sites)?

Thanks.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Password saving problem

<parrish.richard@gmail.com> wrote in message news:f05f0004-e715-4efa-8bcf-11d84ff8d9ae@n1g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Our research group hosts several websites, and recently a user asked
> us why 2 of our sites allow the "Do you want internet explorer to
> remember this password?" prompt to be shown, while 2 of our sites
> block it. We don't do anything to block the prompt, so we were a
> little stumped.
>

> After much testing, we've found that the problem seems to be related
> to the fact that the 2 websites that work have just 2 input boxes
> (username and password), while the 2 websites that don't work have a
> third input box, and disabling the third box allows the "...remember
> this password?" prompt to be shown.

Did your testing include cases such as:
1. No AutoComplete for form data (e.g. uncheck that option)
2. or first visit to site (so no form data even if not #1)
Tip: use PSPV (from NirSoft) to check if there is any
saved form data from the site.

> Has anyone else ran into this, and if so, is there a work-around
> (aside from removing the third input box, as it's necessary for some
> of our sites)?
>
> Thanks.

jabrdawodhussein

RE: Password saving problem
please I cannot get to my email, I am not that smart in computer, I used my
ID and
pass word still get a lot of material and questions, please help

"parrish.richard@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our research group hosts several websites, and recently a user asked
> us why 2 of our sites allow the "Do you want internet explorer to
> remember this password?" prompt to be shown, while 2 of our sites
> block it. We don't do anything to block the prompt, so we were a
> little stumped.
>
> After much testing, we've found that the problem seems to be related
> to the fact that the 2 websites that work have just 2 input boxes
> (username and password), while the 2 websites that don't work have a
> third input box, and disabling the third box allows the "...remember
> this password?" prompt to be shown.
>
> Has anyone else ran into this, and if so, is there a work-around
> (aside from removing the third input box, as it's necessary for some
> of our sites)?
>
> Thanks.

parrish.richard@gmail.com

Re: Password saving problem
> Did your testing include cases such as:
> 1. * *No AutoComplete for form data (e.g. uncheck that option)
> 2. * *or first visit to site (so no form data even if not #1)
> * * Tip: *use *PSPV (from NirSoft) to check if there is any
> * * saved form data from the site.

Thanks for the response. Yes, our testing did include those cases
tested on about a dozen different machines (some had visited the site
many times before, some had never visited the site at all). We
weren't able to get any of them to show the "Do you want internet
explorer to remember this password?" prompt, until we removed the 3rd
text box, at which point we were able to get them all to show the
prompt.

And I hadn't tried PSPV, but I had tried IE PassView without any luck
(no entries for the sites in question at all).

Rick
parrish.richard@gmail.com

Re: Password saving problem
On Nov 3, 3:30*pm, parrish.rich...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Did your testing include cases such as:
> > 1. * *No AutoComplete for form data (e.g. uncheck that option)
> > 2. * *or first visit to site (so no form data even if not #1)
> > * * Tip: *use *PSPV (from NirSoft) to check if there is any
> > * * saved form data from the site.

> Thanks for the response. *Yes, our testing did include those cases
> tested on about a dozen different machines (some had visited the site
> many times before, some had never visited the site at all). *We
> weren't able to get any of them to show the "Do you want internet
> explorer to remember this password?" prompt, until we removed the 3rd
> text box, at which point we were able to get them all to show the
> prompt.
>
> And I hadn't tried PSPV, but I had tried IE PassView without any luck
> (no entries for the sites in question at all).

I just realized that I could write a simple test to confirm my
findings. I'm not sure how well this will paste, but here is some
HTML for a very basic form:

<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>
<form method="post" action="http://127.0.0.1">
First Box: <input type="text" name="txtUsername"><br />
Second Box: <input type="password" name="txtPassword"><br />
Third Box: <input type="text" name="txtExtraBox"><br />
<input type="submit" name="cmdSubmit" value="Login">
</form>

I loaded that up in IE, filled out the username and password, hit
Login, and did not receive a prompt offering to remember my login.

So I removed the Third Box line, reloaded the page and hit the button
again, and this time I was prompted as expected.

So it really does seem to be that third input box that is causing the
problem, and I'm not sure how to work around it.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Password saving problem
> So it really does seem to be that third input box that is causing the
problem, and I'm not sure how to work around it.

Try using autocomplete="off" with the password field?

---

<parrish.richard@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9157dc80-80cf-4475-8b83-694db8ec46bc@l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
On Nov 3, 3:30pm, parrish.rich...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Did your testing include cases such as:
> > 1. No AutoComplete for form data (e.g. uncheck that option)
> > 2. or first visit to site (so no form data even if not #1)
> > Tip: use PSPV (from NirSoft) to check if there is any
> > saved form data from the site.

> Thanks for the response. Yes, our testing did include those cases
> tested on about a dozen different machines (some had visited the site
> many times before, some had never visited the site at all). We
> weren't able to get any of them to show the "Do you want internet
> explorer to remember this password?" prompt, until we removed the 3rd
> text box, at which point we were able to get them all to show the
> prompt.
>
> And I hadn't tried PSPV, but I had tried IE PassView without any luck
> (no entries for the sites in question at all).

I just realized that I could write a simple test to confirm my
findings. I'm not sure how well this will paste, but here is some
HTML for a very basic form:

<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>
<form method="post" action="http://127.0.0.1">
First Box: <input type="text" name="txtUsername"><br />
Second Box: <input type="password" name="txtPassword"><br />
Third Box: <input type="text" name="txtExtraBox"><br />
<input type="submit" name="cmdSubmit" value="Login">
</form>

I loaded that up in IE, filled out the username and password, hit
Login, and did not receive a prompt offering to remember my login.

So I removed the Third Box line, reloaded the page and hit the button
again, and this time I was prompted as expected.

So it really does seem to be that third input box that is causing the
problem, and I'm not sure how to work around it.

parrish.richard@gmail.com

Re: Password saving problem
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't seem to help when testing
with the 3 input form. When testing with the 2 input form using
autocomplete="off" disabled the "...remember this password?" prompt,
so at least now we know how to disable the prompt if we ever need to
do that!

Thanks,
Rick