Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)

Murphil

Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)
I installed Beta 2 of IE8 on my Vista Home Premium PC a couple weeks ago. The
installation automatically replaced my IE7. I have now decided I don't like
IE8. I followed instructions to uninstall it, which should have automatically
reverted back to IE7. The uninstall seemed to run OK for a few minutes, to
completion, but it didn't work. IE8 is still on my PC and IE7 is no where in
sight! Anyone know of a fix for this, please?
--
Tx ... Murphil

Re: Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)
Right pew, wrong church => IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support:
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

[Yes, I understand that the link you may have used brought you to IE General
newsgroup. We've gotten one of 'em fixed but there's still one more to go.]

Do you use a Registry cleaner?

Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North American (i.e., US &
CA) English-speaking customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8
pre-released versions is valid until 01 November 2008. See
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Murphil wrote:
> I installed Beta 2 of IE8 on my Vista Home Premium PC a couple weeks ago.
> The installation automatically replaced my IE7. I have now decided I don't
> like IE8. I followed instructions to uninstall it, which should have
> automatically reverted back to IE7. The uninstall seemed to run OK for a
> few minutes, to completion, but it didn't work. IE8 is still on my PC and
> IE7 is no where in sight! Anyone know of a fix for this, please?

Murphil

Re: Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)
As it turns out, my issue is a false alarm. Sorry about that. Me bad!!!

Somehow (!?) I forgot the final important step in the instructions for
uninstalling IE8(B2). I forgot to reboot my PC as the final step in
completing the uninstall process. Consequently, IE7 wasn't getting initiated.

After rebooting, IE8 did disappear, and IE7 did re-appeared. So I'm happy now.

In the meantime, I haven't yet used a 3rd party Registry cleaner on my 6
month old Vista PC, but I've used one several times in the past on my old
Win98 PC. I am somewhat familiar with editing the Registry (mainly for
backing up and restoring my Registry via full exports and full imports), and
I'd like to know if/how this approach might achieve the same IE8
uninstall/IE7 re-install outcome.
--
Tx ... Murphil

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Right pew, wrong church => IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support:
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>
> Via the web-interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>
> Via your newsreader:
>
> [Yes, I understand that the link you may have used brought you to IE General
> newsgroup. We've gotten one of 'em fixed but there's still one more to go.]
>
> Do you use a Registry cleaner?
>
> Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
> Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North American (i.e., US &
> CA) English-speaking customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8
> pre-released versions is valid until 01 November 2008. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Murphil wrote:
> > I installed Beta 2 of IE8 on my Vista Home Premium PC a couple weeks ago.
> > The installation automatically replaced my IE7. I have now decided I don't
> > like IE8. I followed instructions to uninstall it, which should have
> > automatically reverted back to IE7. The uninstall seemed to run OK for a
> > few minutes, to completion, but it didn't work. IE8 is still on my PC and
> > IE7 is no where in sight! Anyone know of a fix for this, please?

Re: Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)
Injudicious use of Registry cleaners can remove the files & Registry keys
necessary to uninstall an IE upgrade (e.g., IE8B2).

Murphil wrote:
> As it turns out, my issue is a false alarm. Sorry about that. Me bad!!!
>
> Somehow (!?) I forgot the final important step in the instructions for
> uninstalling IE8(B2). I forgot to reboot my PC as the final step in
> completing the uninstall process. Consequently, IE7 wasn't getting
> initiated.
>
> After rebooting, IE8 did disappear, and IE7 did re-appeared. So I'm happy
> now.
>
> In the meantime, I haven't yet used a 3rd party Registry cleaner on my 6
> month old Vista PC, but I've used one several times in the past on my old
> Win98 PC. I am somewhat familiar with editing the Registry (mainly for
> backing up and restoring my Registry via full exports and full imports),
> and
> I'd like to know if/how this approach might achieve the same IE8
> uninstall/IE7 re-install outcome.
>
>> Right pew, wrong church => IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support:
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>>
>> Via the web-interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>>
>> Via your newsreader:
>>
>> [Yes, I understand that the link you may have used brought you to IE
>> General newsgroup. We've gotten one of 'em fixed but there's still one
>> more to go.]
>>
>> Do you use a Registry cleaner?
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
>> Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North American (i.e., US &
>> CA) English-speaking customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8
>> pre-released versions is valid until 01 November 2008. See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Murphil wrote:
>>> I installed Beta 2 of IE8 on my Vista Home Premium PC a couple weeks
>>> ago.
>>> The installation automatically replaced my IE7. I have now decided I
>>> don't
>>> like IE8. I followed instructions to uninstall it, which should have
>>> automatically reverted back to IE7. The uninstall seemed to run OK for a
>>> few minutes, to completion, but it didn't work. IE8 is still on my PC
>>> and
>>> IE7 is no where in sight! Anyone know of a fix for this, please?

Murphil

Re: Help-Can't Uninstall IE8 (Beta2)
Thanks re. your warning concerning Registry danger. I'm aware the Registry is
not something to treat lightly.
--
Tx ... Murphil