Clicking a hyperlink opens a minimized browser window

Jrichardson

Clicking a hyperlink opens a minimized browser window
When a browser window is minimized on the toolbar and you click a hyperlink
within Outlook 2003, it opens a new browser window that takes you to the
link, but also maximizes the other browser window that is in the toolbar.
IE6 does not exhibit this behavior. Disregard tabbed browsing for this
issue, tabbed browsing is not preferred by the user I am helping in this
instance. Shouldn't the minimized browser stay minimized and the new window
open by itself? What is the advantage of having both windows open at the
same time? I have spent the better part of an 8 hour work day trying
different Internet Options setting combinations and have only been able to
replicate the IE6 behavior ONE time and that was without doing a File>Exit in
IE7.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Clicking a hyperlink opens a minimized browser window
"Jrichardson" <Jrichardson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9E1E1B3-A524-4A69-80C9-21723D91BF6A@microsoft.com...
> When a browser window is minimized on the toolbar and you click a hyperlink
> within Outlook 2003, it opens a new browser window that takes you to the
> link, but also maximizes the other browser window that is in the toolbar.
> IE6 does not exhibit this behavior.

> Disregard tabbed browsing for this issue,
> tabbed browsing is not preferred by the user I am helping in this
> instance.

Is that meant to imply that Tabbed browsing is off?
What happens if you leave it on but just don't use it?

> Shouldn't the minimized browser stay minimized and the new window
> open by itself?

According to some who disable tabbed browsing there are some
quirky symptoms associated with minimized windows. (E.g. jinseng)
I couldn't reproduce the claimed symptoms so I suspect that other
environmental factors are just as important for reproducing whatever
the claim is.

> What is the advantage of having both windows open at the
> same time?

Advantage? Probably none. I suspect it will be caused by an
implementation quirk. E.g., maybe it has to switch to the first task
to find out what the tab options are, figure out that it doesn't want
to be in that one and then open the next window? Additionally,
I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that the dispatch of the
first task was a quirk of the OS and therefore not something
that the developers of IE have complete control over.

> I have spent the better part of an 8 hour work day trying
> different Internet Options setting combinations and have only been able to
> replicate the IE6 behavior ONE time and that was without doing a File>Exit in
> IE7.

It's not just IE options which will be causing this.
E.g. you should also try using TweakUI's Focus stealing setting
to request that the Taskbar icon keep flashing until you do something
about it. FWIW that's what I use, which I suspect may be why I can't
reproduce the claimed quirks.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jrichardson

Re: Clicking a hyperlink opens a minimized browser window
Yes, Tabbed Browsing is off, she doesn't want to use tabs. I am able to
replicate this problem on multiple PCs.

"Jrichardson" <Jrichardson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B2C34AA-51F7-41AF-B8C4-CD2930B5D87F@microsoft.com...
> Yes, Tabbed Browsing is off, she doesn't want to use tabs.

> I am able to replicate this problem on multiple PCs.

Which probably just means that you have a common (unspecified)
environment on those machines.

Did you try using the TweakUI method of preventing "focus stealing"?

---