Home Page won't set

Jestr42

Home Page won't set
Downloaded new updates three days ago (I have automatic updates installed).
But now my home page has been changed to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
Everytime I open IE it automatically goes to that address.
I have my original home page still set and it still shows as the only home
page available.
When i click the home botton once IE starts it does go to my home page of
choice but no matter what i do i can't get it to open to that when i start
I.E.
What do I need to do in order to change this back to what it needs to be?

Thanks
Don Varnau

Re: Home Page won't set
Hi,
Windows XP? Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing and uncheck
"Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jestr42" <Jestr42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Downloaded new updates three days ago (I have automatic updates

installed).
> But now my home page has been changed to
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> Everytime I open IE it automatically goes to that address.
> I have my original home page still set and it still shows as the only home
> page available.
> When i click the home botton once IE starts it does go to my home page of
> choice but no matter what i do i can't get it to open to that when i start
> I.E.
> What do I need to do in order to change this back to what it needs to be?
>
> Thanks

Jestr42

RE: Home Page won't set
Thanks but Automatic updates is "unchecked" in Browsing-internet options... I
turned it off already but it still takes me to the Microsoft site instead of
my own page

"Jestr42" wrote:

> Downloaded new updates three days ago (I have automatic updates installed).
> But now my home page has been changed to
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> Everytime I open IE it automatically goes to that address.
> I have my original home page still set and it still shows as the only home
> page available.
> When i click the home botton once IE starts it does go to my home page of
> choice but no matter what i do i can't get it to open to that when i start
> I.E.
> What do I need to do in order to change this back to what it needs to be?
>
> Thanks

Don Varnau

Re: Home Page won't set
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?

> Hi,
> Windows XP? Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing and uncheck
> "Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates."

> "Jestr42" wrote:
>
> > Downloaded new updates three days ago (I have automatic updates

installed).
> > But now my home page has been changed to
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> > Everytime I open IE it automatically goes to that address.
> > I have my original home page still set and it still shows as the only

home
> > page available.
> > When i click the home botton once IE starts it does go to my home page

of
> > choice but no matter what i do i can't get it to open to that when i

start
> > I.E.
> > What do I need to do in order to change this back to what it needs to

be?

> > Thanks

Jestr42

Re: Home Page won't set
Thanks for the response Don. I should have included all this earlier, don't
know why i keep forgetting.

IE7 (7.0.5730.11 to be exact)
WinXP-Media Center- SP3

I have AVG 8 (free version) as well as Spybot 1.6.3.25 installed and
running. I have had this computer for two years now with the current
configuration and this problem didn't start occuring until my last update. I
am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is happening.
I have deleted my spyware, ran in safe mode and still can't get the change
to take place.

Thanks for your help.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jestr42" <Jestr42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but Automatic updates is "unchecked" in Browsing-internet

> options... I
> > turned it off already but it still takes me to the Microsoft site instead

> of
> > my own page

> > Hi,
> > Windows XP? Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing and uncheck
> > "Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates."

> > "Jestr42" wrote:
> >
> > > Downloaded new updates three days ago (I have automatic updates

> installed).
> > > But now my home page has been changed to
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
> > > Everytime I open IE it automatically goes to that address.
> > > I have my original home page still set and it still shows as the only

> home
> > > page available.
> > > When i click the home botton once IE starts it does go to my home page

> of
> > > choice but no matter what i do i can't get it to open to that when i

> start
> > > I.E.
> > > What do I need to do in order to change this back to what it needs to

> be?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Donald Anadell

Re: Home Page won't set

> Thanks for the response Don. I should have included all this earlier,
> don't
> know why i keep forgetting.
>
> IE7 (7.0.5730.11 to be exact)
> WinXP-Media Center- SP3
>
> I have AVG 8 (free version) as well as Spybot 1.6.3.25 installed and
> running. I have had this computer for two years now with the current
> configuration and this problem didn't start occuring until my last update.
> am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is happening.
> I have deleted my spyware, ran in safe mode and still can't get the change
> to take place.

Don't know about your version of Spybot SD, but older versions used to have
a setting under "Tools||IE Tweaks" that when checked would prevent you from
changing your Start page.

The wording for the setting in older versions of Spybot was something like
"Lock IE start page against user changes". You might check your settings in
Spybot to see if you have something similar in your version, and have it
checked.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks for your help.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
>> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Jestr42" <Jestr42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks but Automatic updates is "unchecked" in Browsing-internet

>> options... I
>> > turned it off already but it still takes me to the Microsoft site
>> > instead

>> of
>> > my own page

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Windows XP? Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing and uncheck

>> installed).

>> home

>> of

>> start

>> be?

Don Varnau

Re: Home Page won't set
Start IE7 without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
Does the getitnow page still appear? If not, look through add-ons (IE>
Tools> Manage add-ons.) Do you see an add-on that looks like it may be the
culprit?
- - -
Next guess... Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing and check (check)
"Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates." Restart. Go back and
uncheck "Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates." Restart again.
- - -