Error rundll32.exe when deleting browsing history

L. Brásio

Error rundll32.exe when deleting browsing history
Hi.
I have IE8 beta 2 and everytime I try cleaning my browsing history, I get an
error with rundll32.exe. That is, the delete history window appears but kind
of freezes...the only way to stop it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then the
rundll32.exe error appears.

The same thing appens with the IE options. I just can't press "ok" to make
some changes that it freezes instantly. Then again, the only way is to use
CTRL+ALT+DEL to stop it...and then again pops up the rundll32.exe.

The same happened with IE7...

I formatted my PC a few weeks ago and all was running well back then!

I was told that this erros could come from a bad installation of
windows...but since then I formatted my computer twice and the error's still
there.

What can this be??

Thanks for your help!
Don Varnau

Re: Error rundll32.exe when deleting browsing history
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?
- - -
You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

- - -
Or a third-party program may be causing this problem. Does the problem
persist if you startup in Safe Mode?

Start Vista in Safe Mode
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
or
http://snipr.com/vistasafe

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, you should selectively disable
startup programs until you find the guilty party, probably a security
program or another program which interacts with Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"L. Brásio" <LBrsio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have IE8 beta 2 and everytime I try cleaning my browsing history, I get

an
> error with rundll32.exe. That is, the delete history window appears but

kind
> of freezes...the only way to stop it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then

the
> rundll32.exe error appears.
>
> The same thing appens with the IE options. I just can't press "ok" to make
> some changes that it freezes instantly. Then again, the only way is to use
> CTRL+ALT+DEL to stop it...and then again pops up the rundll32.exe.
>
> The same happened with IE7...
>
> I formatted my PC a few weeks ago and all was running well back then!
>
> I was told that this erros could come from a bad installation of
> windows...but since then I formatted my computer twice and the error's

still
> there.
>
> What can this be??
>
> Thanks for your help!

L. Brásio

Re: Error rundll32.exe when deleting browsing history
Hi!

I found out yesterday that NERO was causing the error... like someone else
in another post like this one... I uninstalled it and its working fine now!

So thanks for your help!

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
> - - -
> You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> More at:
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> - - -
> Or a third-party program may be causing this problem. Does the problem
> persist if you startup in Safe Mode?
>
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> 315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222
>
> If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, you should selectively disable
> startup programs until you find the guilty party, probably a security
> program or another program which interacts with Internet Explorer.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "L. Brásio" <LBrsio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> > I have IE8 beta 2 and everytime I try cleaning my browsing history, I get

> an
> > error with rundll32.exe. That is, the delete history window appears but

> kind
> > of freezes...the only way to stop it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then

> the
> > rundll32.exe error appears.
> >
> > The same thing appens with the IE options. I just can't press "ok" to make
> > some changes that it freezes instantly. Then again, the only way is to use
> > CTRL+ALT+DEL to stop it...and then again pops up the rundll32.exe.
> >
> > The same happened with IE7...
> >
> > I formatted my PC a few weeks ago and all was running well back then!
> >
> > I was told that this erros could come from a bad installation of
> > windows...but since then I formatted my computer twice and the error's

> still
> > there.
> >
> > What can this be??
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

Don Varnau

Re: Error rundll32.exe when deleting browsing history
You're welcome. Glad you found a solution.