KB 956390 Update for IE 7

Michael Bussey

KB 956390 Update for IE 7
I'm having an issue with the KB956390 update for IE 7 on Windows Vista.
Whenever the update installs, I am unable to connect to the internet. All IE
does is display a blank page, with no notification of a problem or that it's
unable to connect. After uninstalling the update, everything went back to
normal. Do I really need this update?

Thank you.
Leonard Grey

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7
Two possibilities:

1- Your firewall may incorrectly interpret an update to Internet
Explorer as an attempt by malware to infect your computer. You need to
tell your firewall that the update is legitimate.

2- Do you (temporarily) disable your security software when installing
updates from Microsoft? If you don't, updates may not install correctly.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Michael Bussey wrote:
> I'm having an issue with the KB956390 update for IE 7 on Windows Vista.
> Whenever the update installs, I am unable to connect to the internet. All IE
> does is display a blank page, with no notification of a problem or that it's
> unable to connect. After uninstalling the update, everything went back to
> normal. Do I really need this update?
>
> Thank you.

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7
[X-post to WU newsgroup]

> ...Do I really need this update?

YES!

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates and
reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced
security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Michael Bussey wrote:
> I'm having an issue with the KB956390 update for IE 7 on Windows Vista.
> Whenever the update installs, I am unable to connect to the internet. All
> IE
> does is display a blank page, with no notification of a problem or that
> it's
> unable to connect. After uninstalling the update, everything went back to
> normal. Do I really need this update?
>
> Thank you.

Michael Bussey

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>
> > ...Do I really need this update?

> YES!
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
> via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates and
> reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
> (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
> Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced
> security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.
>
> =====================================

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).
>
> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
> (which is 47830).

> your usual support contacts.

> Support for Windows Update:
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Michael Bussey wrote:
> > I'm having an issue with the KB956390 update for IE 7 on Windows Vista.
> > Whenever the update installs, I am unable to connect to the internet. All
> > IE
> > does is display a blank page, with no notification of a problem or that
> > it's
> > unable to connect. After uninstalling the update, everything went back to
> > normal. Do I really need this update?
> >
> > Thank you.

Everything worked out great. I disabled the anti-virus software, uninstalled
the update, rebooted, reinstalled the update, rebooted, and IE come up like
normal. Thanks for your help!

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7
Michael Bussey wrote:
> [...]

>> through
>> your usual support contacts.

>> Support for Windows Update:
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Michael Bussey wrote:
>>> I'm having an issue with the KB956390 update for IE 7 on Windows Vista.
>>> Whenever the update installs, I am unable to connect to the internet.
>>> All
>>> IE
>>> does is display a blank page, with no notification of a problem or that
>>> it's
>>> unable to connect. After uninstalling the update, everything went back
>>> normal. Do I really need this update?

> Everything worked out great. I disabled the anti-virus software,
> uninstalled
> the update, rebooted, reinstalled the update, rebooted, and IE come up

You're welcome. What anti-virus application are you using, Michael?

Michael Bussey

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> > Everything worked out great. I disabled the anti-virus software,
> > uninstalled
> > the update, rebooted, reinstalled the update, rebooted, and IE come up
> > like
> > normal. Thanks for your help!

> You're welcome. What anti-virus application are you using, Michael?

I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Once I disabled that, it worked like
a charm.

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7
Michael Bussey wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Michael Bussey wrote:

>>> Everything worked out great. I disabled the anti-virus software,
>>> uninstalled
>>> the update, rebooted, reinstalled the update, rebooted, and IE come up
>>> like
>>> normal. Thanks for your help!

>> You're welcome. What anti-virus application are you using, Michael?

> I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Once I disabled that, it worked
> like
> a charm.

Thanks. Interesting. Tell me, does it include a firewall?

Michael Bussey

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Michael Bussey wrote:

> >> You're welcome. What anti-virus application are you using, Michael?

> > I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Once I disabled that, it worked
> > like
> > a charm.

> Thanks. Interesting. Tell me, does it include a firewall?

No, it's just the Enterprise version.

Re: KB 956390 Update for IE 7
Michael Bussey wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Michael Bussey wrote:

>>> I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Once I disabled that, it worked
>>> like a charm.

>> Thanks. Interesting. Tell me, does it include a firewall?
>>

> No, it's just the Enterprise version.

Again, thanks for this feedback. It's sure to help others here.