IE7 crash and Internet Tools/Options dialog box will not open

Charley3

IE7 crash and Internet Tools/Options dialog box will not open
WindowsXP SP3 IE7 Mcafee Anti-Virus

Everything listed above has been working fine for a long time. All
auto-updates enabled and current. Here is the problem in a nutshell: Internet
Explorer crashes upon opening: w/o add-ons, crashes. When trying to open
Internet Opt. dialog box in Control Pnl., there's a flash on the screen, but
nothing. Tried to access via cmd.exe, no-luck. Event viewer shows faulting
app. iexplorer, faulting module msvcrt.dll, followed by second error, "fault
bucket 968219480". All necessary files(as far as I can tell) are in place. I
have tried several suggested steps from MS including a clean boot, a cmd.
script,"reregisterie.cmd, and reinstalling IE7 for XP SP2,3....Nothing has
changed. Using (un-named) browser to get here. HELP! I'm burnt-out on this
and don't want to make it any worse (than I may have already). Thank you for
any input, thoughts, or remedies you can share. Sincerely.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 crash and Internet Tools/Options dialog box will not open
Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Charley3 wrote:
> WindowsXP SP3 IE7 Mcafee Anti-Virus
>
> Everything listed above has been working fine for a long time. All
> auto-updates enabled and current. Here is the problem in a nutshell: Internet
> Explorer crashes upon opening: w/o add-ons, crashes. When trying to open
> Internet Opt. dialog box in Control Pnl., there's a flash on the screen, but
> nothing. Tried to access via cmd.exe, no-luck. Event viewer shows faulting
> app. iexplorer, faulting module msvcrt.dll, followed by second error, "fault
> bucket 968219480". All necessary files(as far as I can tell) are in place. I
> have tried several suggested steps from MS including a clean boot, a cmd.
> script,"reregisterie.cmd, and reinstalling IE7 for XP SP2,3....Nothing has
> changed. Using (un-named) browser to get here. HELP! I'm burnt-out on this
> and don't want to make it any worse (than I may have already). Thank you for
> any input, thoughts, or remedies you can share. Sincerely.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Charley3" <Charley3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> WindowsXP SP3 IE7 Mcafee Anti-Virus
>
> Everything listed above has been working fine for a long time. All
> auto-updates enabled and current. Here is the problem in a nutshell:
> Internet
> Explorer crashes upon opening: w/o add-ons, crashes. When trying to open
> Internet Opt. dialog box in Control Pnl., there's a flash on the screen,
> but
> nothing. Tried to access via cmd.exe, no-luck. Event viewer shows faulting
> app. iexplorer, faulting module msvcrt.dll, followed by second error,
> "fault
> bucket 968219480". All necessary files(as far as I can tell) are in place.
> have tried several suggested steps from MS including a clean boot, a cmd.
> script,"reregisterie.cmd, and reinstalling IE7 for XP SP2,3....Nothing has
> changed. Using (un-named) browser to get here. HELP! I'm burnt-out on this
> and don't want to make it any worse (than I may have already). Thank you
> for
> any input, thoughts, or remedies you can share. Sincerely.

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages, including HijackThis.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email