Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?

Eric Kolotyluk

Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to post...

About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
newsgroups using IE 7. The bug was I would try to sign-in, it would take my
credentials, but not actually sign-in. There would be no error message or
anything. Subsequent attempts to sign-in didn't even ask for my credentials,
clicking the "Sign In" button did nothing except redisplay the same page -
again, no error message or anything. I could just not sign-in.

I found that if I used FireFox I could sign-in, the process worked as
expected. Since then I have just been using FireFox to sign-in to the
newsgroups.

A couple of months ago FireFox 3 stopped working with exactly the same bug.
IE 7 still would not work, same bug. Out of curiosity I tried Google Chrome
and was able to sign-in fine. Since then I have been routinely using Chrome -
until today. Now Chrome doesn't even work - same bug as the rest of the
browsers. I even tried on two different computers.

So now I'm using Safari on a Macintosh to post this thread because it's the
only way for me to sign-in to the Microsoft newsgroups site.

My question is: what's going on? How can something as basic as a newsgroup
site fail so reliably? Does anyone else have problems trying to sign-in to
the newsgroups site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm running out of browsers to try.

--
Eric Kolotyluk
Software Developer
Gordon

Re: Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
"Eric Kolotyluk" <EricKolotyluk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to
> post...
>
> About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
> newsgroups using IE 7.

Do yourself a BIG favour and ditch the horrible web interface. Use a news
reader instead.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

Re: Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
> Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to
> post...
>
> About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
> newsgroups using IE 7. The bug was I would try to sign-in, it would take
> my
> credentials, but not actually sign-in. There would be no error message or
> anything. Subsequent attempts to sign-in didn't even ask for my
> credentials,
> clicking the "Sign In" button did nothing except redisplay the same page -
> again, no error message or anything. I could just not sign-in.
>
> I found that if I used FireFox I could sign-in, the process worked as
> expected. Since then I have just been using FireFox to sign-in to the
> newsgroups.
>
> A couple of months ago FireFox 3 stopped working with exactly the same
> bug.
> IE 7 still would not work, same bug. Out of curiosity I tried Google
> Chrome
> and was able to sign-in fine. Since then I have been routinely using
> Chrome
> - until today. Now Chrome doesn't even work - same bug as the rest of the
> browsers. I even tried on two different computers.
>
> So now I'm using Safari on a Macintosh to post this thread because it's
> the
> only way for me to sign-in to the Microsoft newsgroups site.
>
> My question is: what's going on? How can something as basic as a newsgroup
> site fail so reliably? Does anyone else have problems trying to sign-in to
> the newsgroups site?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm running out of browsers to
> try.

Eric Kolotyluk

Re: Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
One computer is Windows XP SP3, the other computer is Windows XP SP2.

I'm now my XP SP3 system, and I managed to sign-in via IE7. That's the first
time in a very long time. This seems very random now. I tried Firefox 3, and
that still doesn't work.

When I clicked on the link to this discussion in my e-mail notification (via
Thunderbird) it tried to open the web page in Firefox but failed. I then
copied the link and pasted it in IE 7, and it failed as well. Finally I
managed to sign-in via IE 7 and copied the URL in again and this time it took
me to the discussion.

Of all the newsgroups I access via web broswers (about a dozen), the
Microsoft site is the only one that give me problems, and it seems to do that
with astonishing regularity.

--
Eric Kolotyluk
Software Developer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
> > Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to
> > post...
> >
> > About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
> > newsgroups using IE 7. The bug was I would try to sign-in, it would take
> > my
> > credentials, but not actually sign-in. There would be no error message or
> > anything. Subsequent attempts to sign-in didn't even ask for my
> > credentials,
> > clicking the "Sign In" button did nothing except redisplay the same page -
> > again, no error message or anything. I could just not sign-in.
> >
> > I found that if I used FireFox I could sign-in, the process worked as
> > expected. Since then I have just been using FireFox to sign-in to the
> > newsgroups.
> >
> > A couple of months ago FireFox 3 stopped working with exactly the same
> > bug.
> > IE 7 still would not work, same bug. Out of curiosity I tried Google
> > Chrome
> > and was able to sign-in fine. Since then I have been routinely using
> > Chrome
> > - until today. Now Chrome doesn't even work - same bug as the rest of the
> > browsers. I even tried on two different computers.
> >
> > So now I'm using Safari on a Macintosh to post this thread because it's
> > the
> > only way for me to sign-in to the Microsoft newsgroups site.
> >
> > My question is: what's going on? How can something as basic as a newsgroup
> > site fail so reliably? Does anyone else have problems trying to sign-in to
> > the newsgroups site?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm running out of browsers to
> > try.

Eric Kolotyluk

Re: Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
OK, I hear you. I'm replying to this via Thunderbird.

You're onto something: I've never had trouble posting to Microsoft
newsgroups via the news reader, but it's not as convenient as the web
interface for finding things.

Thanks, Eric

Gordon wrote:
> "Eric Kolotyluk" <EricKolotyluk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:006FDE59-D44C-48A5-B493-BC9908BAA005@microsoft.com...
>> Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to
>> post...
>>
>> About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
>> newsgroups using IE 7.

> Do yourself a BIG favour and ditch the horrible web interface. Use a
> news reader instead.
>
> Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
>
> Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Why is http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups broken?
"Eric Kolotyluk" <EricKolotyluk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so now I'm resorting to using Safari on a Macintosh in order to post...
>
> About a year or two ago I discovered I could no longer post to Microsoft
> newsgroups using IE 7. The bug was I would try to sign-in, it would take my
> credentials, but not actually sign-in. There would be no error message or
> anything. Subsequent attempts to sign-in didn't even ask for my credentials,
> clicking the "Sign In" button did nothing except redisplay the same page -
> again, no error message or anything. I could just not sign-in.
>
> I found that if I used FireFox I could sign-in, the process worked as
> expected. Since then I have just been using FireFox to sign-in to the
> newsgroups.
>
> A couple of months ago FireFox 3 stopped working with exactly the same bug.
> IE 7 still would not work, same bug. Out of curiosity I tried Google Chrome
> and was able to sign-in fine. Since then I have been routinely using Chrome -
> until today. Now Chrome doesn't even work - same bug as the rest of the
> browsers. I even tried on two different computers.
>
> So now I'm using Safari on a Macintosh to post this thread because it's the
> only way for me to sign-in to the Microsoft newsgroups site.
>

> My question is: what's going on? How can something as basic as a newsgroup
> site fail so reliably?

Cookies. Do you have anything interfering with Cookies?

> Does anyone else have problems trying to sign-in to
> the newsgroups site?

When I do it is usually a problem with Cookies.
E.g. IE presents some old Cookie data which is not refreshed
by the site. The only time I get new a new Cookie for that host
is when I delete the old one.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm running out of browsers to try.

Tip: you can see which Cookies IE got in the TIF Viewer
(Keystrokes: Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V Alt-V,D Alt-V,I,Last Accessed)
but it seems that tool doesn't always show the Cookies IE *presents*
even when the viewer's sort order is by Last Accessed.
In that case what I do is is list the Cookies by order of access
in a cmd window. E.g. in an XP cmd window enter:

cd /d %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
and
dir/ta/od

So, if you found some Cookies which had been accessed but were not
listed in the TIF Viewer for that same period, they would be good
candidates for deletion. Then retry your request. Note that the
suggested procedure is useful for other login required sites than
just the web interface to newsgroups.

BTW be aware that certain portals for the Community news server
web interface are known to be problematic with problem symptoms
including yours. In that case you could try a different portal which
carries the same newsgroup and possibly have better results.

Also note that some of the problem symptoms involve a failure to
redirect after a successful login, so you could have a scenario like
1. not being logged in
2. trying a post
3. getting prompted to login
4. logging in successfully
5. not getting a composition window
6. retrying the request to post
7. getting the composition window (e.g. without a prompt
to login because of step 4.)
In view of possible scenarios such a that it could be useful
to try the Sign In button first and not wait for the prompt.

Etc. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

"Eric Kolotyluk" <eric@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> OK, I hear you. I'm replying to this via Thunderbird.
>
> You're onto something: I've never had trouble posting to Microsoft
> newsgroups via the news reader, but it's not as convenient as the web
> interface for finding things.

I think when you get used to it, it's better at finding things. However,
Thunderbird has one major drawback as a news reader - it doesn't have a
"display my posts" function. You need to set up a rule so that any thread
you start or reply to is set as "watched"