Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?

JethroUK©

Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?

The web site says "allows end-users to run Java applications."

e.g. ?????????

I can't remember how i ended up with it on my machine

I can't run java (mobile) games that are on my machine (which would've been
nice)

And it seems to be running in the systray like it's important

Shall I just get rid or will the world blow up?

Gordon

Re: Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
"JethroUK©" <reply@the.board> wrote in message
> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?

There are many third-party applications that need Java. You obviously
installed one that does.

Spirit

Re: Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
You can use the Java Settings to remove it from tray when not needed.

Control Panel - Java or try RIGHT clicking on Java in tray.

"JethroUK©" <reply@the.board> wrote in message news:eBWBrYgOJHA.4424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
>
> The web site says "allows end-users to run Java applications."
>
> e.g. ?????????
>
> I can't remember how i ended up with it on my machine
>
> I can't run java (mobile) games that are on my machine (which would've been
> nice)
>
> And it seems to be running in the systray like it's important
>
> Shall I just get rid or will the world blow up?

Leonard Grey

Re: Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
If you never go to web pages that use Java applets, and you do not now
or in the future plan to have any software that uses Java applets, you
have no need for the JRE.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

JethroUK© wrote:
> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
>
> The web site says "allows end-users to run Java applications."
>
> e.g. ?????????
>
> I can't remember how i ended up with it on my machine
>
> I can't run java (mobile) games that are on my machine (which would've
> been nice)
>
> And it seems to be running in the systray like it's important
>
> Shall I just get rid or will the world blow up?

JethroUK©

Re: Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
I have uninstalled it - actually found 2 versions of it installed?

If i "ever" need it i'm sure it will find it's way back onto my machine

> If you never go to web pages that use Java applets, and you do not now or
> in the future plan to have any software that uses Java applets, you have
> no need for the JRE.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> JethroUK© wrote:
>> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
>>
>> The web site says "allows end-users to run Java applications."
>>
>> e.g. ?????????
>>
>> I can't remember how i ended up with it on my machine
>>
>> I can't run java (mobile) games that are on my machine (which would've
>> been nice)
>>
>> And it seems to be running in the systray like it's important
>>
>> Shall I just get rid or will the world blow up?

Leonard Grey

Re: Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
Won't take too long.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

JethroUK© wrote:
> I have uninstalled it - actually found 2 versions of it installed?
>
> If i "ever" need it i'm sure it will find it's way back onto my machine

>> If you never go to web pages that use Java applets, and you do not now
>> or in the future plan to have any software that uses Java applets, you
>> have no need for the JRE.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> JethroUK© wrote:
>>> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?
>>>
>>> The web site says "allows end-users to run Java applications."
>>>
>>> e.g. ?????????
>>>
>>> I can't remember how i ended up with it on my machine
>>>
>>> I can't run java (mobile) games that are on my machine (which
>>> would've been nice)
>>>
>>> And it seems to be running in the systray like it's important
>>>
>>> Shall I just get rid or will the world blow up?

C A Upsdell

JethroUK© wrote:
>>> Why do i need Java SE Runtime Environment?

> I have uninstalled it - actually found 2 versions of it installed?

Yeah, the Sun installation procedure does not automatically uninstall
older versions, AFAIK because older versions *may* be needed for older
applications. This can result in a very large number of versions being
installed. Uninstalling an old version should be okay, because you can
re-install it later if it turns out to be needed.