Closing windows when click download

Dana

Closing windows when click download
Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and click
download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this but when
i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes even
before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?
Leonard Grey

Re: Closing windows when click download
Are we supposed to guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows
you have? Okay, here goes: I guess IE 7.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Dana wrote:
> Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and click
> download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this but when
> i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes even
> before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?

Dana

Re: Closing windows when click download
I ran IE 7 this way in Windows XP and the problem is still going on? What
else should I try?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Are we supposed to guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows
> you have? Okay, here goes: I guess IE 7.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Dana wrote:
> > Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and click
> > download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this but when
> > i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes even
> > before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and
> click
> download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this but
> when
> i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes even
> before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Dana

Re: Closing windows when click download
I have tried all your suggestions and the problem is still persisting. What
should I do now?

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and
> > click
> > download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this but
> > when
> > i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes even
> > before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?

> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
> article first:
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?
>
> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Closing windows when click download
Can you provide a link to where you posted your HijackThis log?
Don't post it here.

>I have tried all your suggestions and the problem is still persisting. What
> should I do now?
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Last week i started having problems. when i go onto different sites and
>> > click
>> > download it automatically shuts down internet explorer not only this
>> > but
>> > when
>> > i go to abc, disney, or espn which is go.com it automatically closes
>> > even
>> > before it loads the page. i don't know what is wrong?

>> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
>> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
>> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
>> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>>
>> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
>> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read
>> this
>> article first:
>> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data
>> (such
>> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?
>>
>> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
>> All MS-MVP Sites.
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
>> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
>> whose ads for
>> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that
>> you
>> owe it to the author. See also:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
>> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
>> see
>> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not
>> sure
>> of.
>>
>> You might also try the steps here:
>> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

Dana

Re: Closing windows when click download
what is this and where would i find it

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> Can you provide a link to where you posted your HijackThis log?
> Don't post it here.
>
> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried all your suggestions and the problem is still persisting. What
> > should I do now?
> >
> > "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> >> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
> >> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
> >> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
> >>
> >> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> >> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read
> >> this
> >> article first:
> >> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> >> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data
> >> (such
> >> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?
> >>
> >> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> >> All MS-MVP Sites.
> >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >>
> >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> >>
> >> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> >> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> >> whose ads for
> >> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that
> >> you
> >> owe it to the author. See also:
> >> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> >> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
> >> see
> >> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not
> >> sure
> >> of.
> >>
> >> You might also try the steps here:
> >> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

Re: Closing windows when click download
When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dana wrote:
> what is this and where would i find it
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> Can you provide a link to where you posted your HijackThis log?
>> Don't post it here.
>>
>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have tried all your suggestions and the problem is still persisting.
>>> What should I do now?

Dana

Re: Closing windows when click download
The only problem is i am not able to try this because as soon as i click
download it will close out of windows

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dana wrote:
> > what is this and where would i find it
> >
> > "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you provide a link to where you posted your HijackThis log?
> >> Don't post it here.

Re: Closing windows when click download
You'll have to use another computer to download your tools then transfer
them to the infected computer (unless you're able to download after
rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking).