Delete All and Delete History are grayed out

Martin@att

Delete All and Delete History are grayed out
Hello,
I am using IE7 7.0.5370.13 with XP Pro. When i click Tools > Delete
Browsing History the Delete Browsing Dialog opens. Two key button are grayed
out though. Delete history and Delete all are grayed out. How can i make
them operational again. At one point they worked but now they are not. I
have full administrative privilages to my computer.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.
Cheers, Martin
Don Varnau

Re: Delete All and Delete History are grayed out
Hi,
Sorry, but I gotta ask ;-)
This is not a company computer, right?
Go to Start> Run> (type in) gpedit.msc Hit Enter or click OK.

In Policy Editor, navigate to User Configuration> Administrative Templates>
Windows Components> Internet Explorer> Delete Browsing History. Right-click
each of the settings> Properties> select "Not configured." Exit Policy
Editor.

Also gotta ask... Is any type of Parental Control software installed?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Martin@att" <Martin@att@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am using IE7 7.0.5370.13 with XP Pro. When i click Tools > Delete
> Browsing History the Delete Browsing Dialog opens. Two key button are

grayed
> out though. Delete history and Delete all are grayed out. How can i make
> them operational again. At one point they worked but now they are not. I
> have full administrative privilages to my computer.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.
> Cheers, Martin

Martin@att

Re: Delete All and Delete History are grayed out
Yes it is a company computer but I'm not doing anything nefarious. My
problem is the browser history is keeping pages. So when Itry to display the
page again, anything that was updated on the page does not display. Only the
old page and old data displays. And no amout of refreshing will bring it
back. I tried deleting using the buttons that were available but that didn't
help either. The only thing that worked was deleting the History , Temp
files, and cookies manually. I could have easily created a batch file to
accomplish this but they can be dangerous if not properly applied. So that's
why I need those buttons working. The "Not Configure" was already selected
for this parameter but I saw some other parameters that might work. Thank
you for your reply it was VERY helpful. BTW: I didn't ask IT because they
want us to be using IE 6.x and I prefer to join the 21st century and use 7.x.
Their answer would be to fall back to 6.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry, but I gotta ask ;-)
> This is not a company computer, right?
> Go to Start> Run> (type in) gpedit.msc Hit Enter or click OK.
>
> In Policy Editor, navigate to User Configuration> Administrative Templates>
> Windows Components> Internet Explorer> Delete Browsing History. Right-click
> each of the settings> Properties> select "Not configured." Exit Policy
> Editor.
>
> Also gotta ask... Is any type of Parental Control software installed?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Martin@att" <Martin@att@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am using IE7 7.0.5370.13 with XP Pro. When i click Tools > Delete
> > Browsing History the Delete Browsing Dialog opens. Two key button are

> grayed
> > out though. Delete history and Delete all are grayed out. How can i make
> > them operational again. At one point they worked but now they are not. I
> > have full administrative privilages to my computer.
> >
> > Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.
> > Cheers, Martin

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

> Yes it is a company computer but I'm not doing anything nefarious. My
> problem is the browser history is keeping pages. So when Itry to display
> the
> page again, anything that was updated on the page does not display. Only
> the
> old page and old data displays. And no amout of refreshing will bring it
> back. I tried deleting using the buttons that were available but that
> didn't
> help either. The only thing that worked was deleting the History , Temp
> files, and cookies manually. I could have easily created a batch file to
> accomplish this but they can be dangerous if not properly applied. So
> that's
> why I need those buttons working. The "Not Configure" was already
> selected
> for this parameter but I saw some other parameters that might work. Thank
> you for your reply it was VERY helpful. BTW: I didn't ask IT because they
> want us to be using IE 6.x and I prefer to join the 21st century and use
> 7.x.
> Their answer would be to fall back to 6.

When you have this problem press Ctrl-F5.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Don Varnau

Re: Delete All and Delete History are grayed out
Hi,
What Frank said... Ctrl+F5 to force a refresh. If you're seeing old content
on pages, that's a problem with Temporary Internet Files.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Martin@att" <Martinatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes it is a company computer but I'm not doing anything nefarious. My
> problem is the browser history is keeping pages. So when Itry to display

the
> page again, anything that was updated on the page does not display. Only

the
> old page and old data displays. And no amout of refreshing will bring it
> back. I tried deleting using the buttons that were available but that

didn't
> help either. The only thing that worked was deleting the History , Temp
> files, and cookies manually. I could have easily created a batch file to
> accomplish this but they can be dangerous if not properly applied. So

that's
> why I need those buttons working. The "Not Configure" was already

selected
> for this parameter but I saw some other parameters that might work. Thank
> you for your reply it was VERY helpful. BTW: I didn't ask IT because they
> want us to be using IE 6.x and I prefer to join the 21st century and use

7.x.
> Their answer would be to fall back to 6.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Sorry, but I gotta ask ;-)
> > This is not a company computer, right?
> > Go to Start> Run> (type in) gpedit.msc Hit Enter or click OK.
> >
> > In Policy Editor, navigate to User Configuration> Administrative

Templates>
> > Windows Components> Internet Explorer> Delete Browsing History.

Right-click
> > each of the settings> Properties> select "Not configured." Exit Policy
> > Editor.
> >
> > Also gotta ask... Is any type of Parental Control software installed?

> > "Martin@att" <Martin@att@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > I am using IE7 7.0.5370.13 with XP Pro. When i click Tools > Delete
> > > Browsing History the Delete Browsing Dialog opens. Two key button are

> > grayed
> > > out though. Delete history and Delete all are grayed out. How can i

make
> > > them operational again. At one point they worked but now they are

not. I
> > > have full administrative privilages to my computer.
> > >
> > > Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this post.
> > > Cheers, Martin

Robert Aldwinckle

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:eHJDkBvOJHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> What Frank said... Ctrl+F5 to force a refresh. If you're seeing old content
> on pages, that's a problem with Temporary Internet Files.

Don,

More than that. It would also imply that there is an intermediate
caching server which was responding positively to any cache-checking
that IE was doing based on what it had in the TIF, either normally
or for a plain F5. Ctrl-F5 means that instead of doing cache-checking
plain requests are issued. That just makes it less likely that
an intermediate cache will try to fulfill a request.

I'm not sure what to think about the fact that the IE7 User-Agent
appears to be a factor in this incident. E.g. if that is a less common
requestor why would a file be cached? To experiment with it
they could try spoofing MSIE 6.0.

Robert
---